Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may have been beaten to death, but here goes...

If I wanted to work at a busy ER, and didnt mind working 50-60 hours a week, what kind of income could I bring in? Is all ER work becoming hourly/shift work, or are there still ER physicians that are salaries. Does anyone have a good regional breakdown or anything that details this information? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're paid hourly, that can be anywhere from $90-150/hr. Math that out and that's some righteous bucks, and you can make a killing in EM - but the hours you'd have to work may kill YOU. 5 12hr shifts a week is like someone beating you with a hammer.

However, it seems like there are as many pay schemes as there are EP's. Some of these folks that know a LOT more than me will give their input.

Anybody work 4 16's? We had one of our teaching faculty told us that he ended up doing something like 14-16 16-hour shifts a month...anyone else do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever tried running a search on salary.com ? That breaks it down by region and specialty for you.

Look on edphysicians.com
Has many job openings per state. Not all postings have the salary listed.

Working 8 hours is great, 12 worse and 24 can be terrible if you're up all day and night. Salaries are extremely variable - I work in rural america and make over $200/hour working 8 hour shifts. See about 1.7 patients per hour. No sense killing yourself - find a job that you like and go for longevity.

DrFredMD, do you work 5 days a week, like at a clinic, or is it in the ER working a couple of day shifts along with a few night shifts?

Also, I'd like to work in a rural area. Do you like it?

I work a standard rotating schedule in the ED, day, evening, nights.

One thing I have noticed with community small town medicine is that a lot of patients come to the ED after their family doc is stumped. Instead of siimply ensuring there is nothing "emergent" going on, I usually start the "major work-up" including MRI, etc. We also do a ton of out-patient work-ups - belly pain returning in 8 hours, u/s, ct followups, etc. Usually don't do a lot of this during residency.

Salary.com has fairly accurate estimates, at least in the regions that I've worked in. Those numbers generally assume an average of what I'm guessing is 35-40 hours per week. It will be an average of whatever the physicians that they surveyed actually work, I suppose.

If I were working 5 12-hour shifts a week, I'd be ready to beat somebody with a hammer!

drfredmd said:
Working 8 hours is great, 12 worse and 24 can be terrible if you're up all day and night. Salaries are extremely variable - I work in rural america and make over $200/hour working 8 hour shifts. See about 1.7 patients per hour. No sense killing yourself - find a job that you like and go for longevity.

200 bucks an hour? woah, thats one of the highest i've seen...are you sure you're not stretching things a little? how "rural" is the place that you're practicing at?

Halaljello said:
200 bucks an hour? woah, thats one of the highest i've seen...are you sure you're not stretching things a little? how "rural" is the place that you're practicing at?
$200 / hour is definitely the high end of things, but there are a few places in LA even where the docs pull in that much. Mind you, those jobs don't become available but once in a blue moon, and usually filled by somebody they already know.