salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmsed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have info on salaries for ER docs AFTER insurance is factored in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the 295 would be some sort of measure of central tendency - the 300+ is generally in areas where there is high demand ie rural areas, ones w/o residency programs nearby, etc.

i would like to ask then, since you are attempting to justify the figures on that site (i do agree with what you are saying), if this is correct, and those figures havent changed for like at least the past 2 years, would it be correct to say that doctor salary figures are stagnant? neither up nor down?

cooldreams said:
i would like to ask then, since you are attempting to justify the figures on that site (i do agree with what you are saying), if this is correct, and those figures havent changed for like at least the past 2 years, would it be correct to say that doctor salary figures are stagnant? neither up nor down?

The survey says that it was updated Jan. 2004, so the numbers should be pretty recent. As for the the overall trend, I think that, depending on the specialty, physician salaries are increasing but at less than the rate of inflation(I think I read that in an AMA survey). It will vary from specialty to specialty because it seems like certain specialties will get a new procedure(anything in interventional rads., for example) that will be fairly quick to perform and they'll be loaded for a while while some specialties(CT surgery) will get a new billing protocol for medicare/aid that will cut salaries in half.

Salaries have been fairly stagnant for the past few years, with medicare reimbursement rising at a similiar rate as malpractice costs. Medicare has increased reimbursement around 9% over the past 3 years. This next fiscal year marks the final year of an agreed 1.5% increase in medicare reimbursement. After that, nothing is for certain. Malpractice, however, will continue to rise.

One thing to keep in mind with these surveyed salaries is that EM is one of the few fields that is paid hourly. That being said, the comparisons and actual numbers presented vary WIDELY. An EM doc making $120/hour and working 10 12-hour shifts/month will earn $172,800 per year. The same doctor who decides to work 12 12-hour shifts/month will earn almost $30k more annually. I just depends who you survey and who has the time to turn it in.

Of interest, if Emergency Physicians worked the same hours as Cardiologists or General Surgeons, then EM docs could earn $580k plus each year, making us perhaps one of the highest paid fields per hour worked...

Mediculous said:
The survey says that it was updated Jan. 2004, so the numbers should be pretty recent. As for the the overall trend, I think that, depending on the specialty, physician salaries are increasing but at less than the rate of inflation(I think I read that in an AMA survey). It will vary from specialty to specialty because it seems like certain specialties will get a new procedure(anything in interventional rads., for example) that will be fairly quick to perform and they'll be loaded for a while while some specialties(CT surgery) will get a new billing protocol for medicare/aid that will cut salaries in half.

i would think they are too, but i actually copied that actual website from last year and the year before (when they were "current")... no change any of these years, but they keep writing that it is updated. my point is i think that the website is not being updated... but i just wondered what the general outlook was, that was my hope in copying the pages so i could project a general outlook or trend plot --- no change anywhere... flat lines :p . thanks for the help.

cooldreams said:
i would think they are too, but i actually copied that actual website from last year and the year before (when they were "current")... no change any of these years, but they keep writing that it is updated. my point is i think that the website is not being updated... but i just wondered what the general outlook was, that was my hope in copying the pages so i could project a general outlook or trend plot --- no change anywhere... flat lines :p . thanks for the help.
Geez, you have even more free time to kill than I do.

of course - im not even in medical school yet... just taking a few night classes and working full time = lots of spare time... ;)

cooldreams said:
of course - im not even in medical school yet... just taking a few night classes and working full time = lots of spare time... ;)
Yup, did the same thing myself before medical school. Best of luck!

NinerNiner999 said:
Salaries have been fairly stagnant for the past few years, with medicare reimbursement rising at a similiar rate as malpractice costs. Medicare has increased reimbursement around 9% over the past 3 years. This next fiscal year marks the final year of an agreed 1.5% increase in medicare reimbursement. After that, nothing is for certain. Malpractice, however, will continue to rise.
In fact, unless a new deal is made, the previous three years of increases in the Medicare fee schedule will have to be made up with offsetting decreases over the next 7 years. The last three years was a negotiated stop-gap measure with the hopes of changing the bargain before the decreases came due.

One thing to keep in mind with these surveyed salaries is that EM is one of the few fields that is paid hourly. That being said, the comparisons and actual numbers presented vary WIDELY. An EM doc making $120/hour and working 10 12-hour shifts/month will earn $172,800 per year. The same doctor who decides to work 12 12-hour shifts/month will earn almost $30k more annually. I just depends who you survey and who has the time to turn it in.
Quite true. As shift workers, you'll find a larger of emergency physicans who are working part-time (new moms, etc.), which pulls down the average yearly salary for EPs.

Of interest, if Emergency Physicians worked the same hours as Cardiologists or General Surgeons, then EM docs could earn $580k plus each year, making us perhaps one of the highest paid fields per hour worked...
Yeah, but I'd like to stay sane. :)