Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Res-J

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My apologies, but I'm curious about this. If you end up working primarily academic medicine and some clinical work in a hospital, what do the salaries look like? Do you get two seperate checks? One from the university and another from the hospital (provided that its not part of the university)

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure, but I would think it would depend pretty heavily on the individual school and the specialty. A radiologist, for example, at a hospital that is owned or closely tied to the University might only get one cheque.

Anybody else know more than me about this?

not that this helps at all, but my interviewer (non-MD/PhD) at MSSM told me that one of the biggest downsides to being on the faculty of a med school/teaching hospital and running your own practice is that the hospital takes 80% of everything your private practice brings in :eek: :eek: :(
he also mentioned that being an employee of the school made it very difficult for him to see medicare patients... i'm not sure whether this was because after the 80% cut the hospital took, he couldnt make enough, or if it was something contractual. but the point that he kept emphasizing was that academics isnt all its cracked up to be because the hospital takes 80% of everything you make in your private practice AND tells you which patients you can and cannot see.
so what he said is that most of the faculty members you see with heir own practice are actually volunteers and arent getting paid by the school. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Res-J
My apologies, but I'm curious about this. If you end up working primarily academic medicine and some clinical work in a hospital, what do the salaries look like? Do you get two seperate checks? One from the university and another from the hospital (provided that its not part of the university)

Thanks in advance.

In medicine, salary is related to production- not academic or professional merit. The more units you crank out, the more dollars you bank. Academics takes out a big chunk of time you would otherwise spend seeing patients, so you make less money. In some specialties, a lot less money. For most specialties I've heard you make about $100K less than non-academic physicians.

Craig

Working w/some MSTP's, I was told that sometimes you're worth comes down to how much you can help the school via grants, awards, etc..... Not sure how of this was true though. Interesting question, hope someone that is currently a MD/PhD or DO/PhD would comment on this....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erthroblastosis fetalis (HDN - Hemolytic dz of newborns)
- Incompatibillity between fetal and maternal blood.
- Typically Rh - mom and Rh + fetus