Salary after starting another residency

Started by Test Boy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Test Boy

Senior Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I decide to do another residency (anesthesia) after finishing a residency (IM), will I get a PGY-4 salary as opposed to a PGY-1 or PGY-2 salary? Thanks for any info.
 
You mean if you complete all 3 years of an Internal Medicine residency, and then match into Anesthesiology? Yeah, I think you'll be back to PGY-1 salary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, there is no PGY-1 year in Anesthesiology. Nope. Anesthesiology consists of an intern year and then three years of specialized training.

So, someone who had completed a IM residency would begin as a PGY-2 (and be compensated on par with their co-interns.) That is also called a CA-1 year (clinical anesthesia?). CA-1 = PGY-2.
 
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get a PGY-4 salary! But I kinda supsected I would probably get a PGY-2 salary (after completing IM residency).
 
It depends on the institution actually. If you do anesthesia after completing an IM residency, you are no longer eligible for gov't funding, so some programs may not even consider taking you and others may pay you at a lower salary.