Salary after starting another residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Test Boy

Reaction score
If I decide to do another residency (anesthesia) after finishing a residency (IM), will I get a PGY-4 salary as opposed to a PGY-1 or PGY-2 salary? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get PGY-2 (CA-1) salary as far as I know. PGY-4 salary goes to fellows.

You mean if you complete all 3 years of an Internal Medicine residency, and then match into Anesthesiology? Yeah, I think you'll be back to PGY-1 salary.

Actually, there is no PGY-1 year in Anesthesiology. Nope. Anesthesiology consists of an intern year and then three years of specialized training.

So, someone who had completed a IM residency would begin as a PGY-2 (and be compensated on par with their co-interns.) That is also called a CA-1 year (clinical anesthesia?). CA-1 = PGY-2.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get a PGY-4 salary! But I kinda supsected I would probably get a PGY-2 salary (after completing IM residency).

It depends on the institution actually. If you do anesthesia after completing an IM residency, you are no longer eligible for gov't funding, so some programs may not even consider taking you and others may pay you at a lower salary.