1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Salary after starting another residency

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Test Boy, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If I decide to do another residency (anesthesia) after finishing a residency (IM), will I get a PGY-4 salary as opposed to a PGY-1 or PGY-2 salary? Thanks for any info.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You'll get PGY-2 (CA-1) salary as far as I know. PGY-4 salary goes to fellows.

4. You mean if you complete all 3 years of an Internal Medicine residency, and then match into Anesthesiology? Yeah, I think you'll be back to PGY-1 salary.

5. beriberi

beriberi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, there is no PGY-1 year in Anesthesiology. Nope. Anesthesiology consists of an intern year and then three years of specialized training.

So, someone who had completed a IM residency would begin as a PGY-2 (and be compensated on par with their co-interns.) That is also called a CA-1 year (clinical anesthesia?). CA-1 = PGY-2.

6. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get a PGY-4 salary! But I kinda supsected I would probably get a PGY-2 salary (after completing IM residency).

7. ortho2003

ortho2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It depends on the institution actually. If you do anesthesia after completing an IM residency, you are no longer eligible for gov't funding, so some programs may not even consider taking you and others may pay you at a lower salary.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on the program. Some programs will pay you for your previous experience, whereas others won't. Check with the program in which you're interested.