Salary re-renegotiation advise needed

Started by Laito
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Laito

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently 15 months into my current contract at a private practice. Currently getting paid mid 200s with 5% production bonus on net collection minus expense of around 30,000. It’s a “ partnership track” where offer me a partnership once I bring in a certain amount of collection (there is a small amount of buy in) . Initially they made it sound like it’ll take me 2 to 3 years to to build up enough patient panel to bring in sufficient income to become partner. So far, I am somewhere around 70% of required collections which is not bad for only 15 months in. However, a physician who started a year before me is still around 80% of required collections and hasn’t been offered any partnership. I really like this practice however I have concerned that it may take additional 3-4 years before making partnership, and I do not want to be just making what I’m currently making. Do you think is reasonable to ask for a renegotiation of my current contract? What would be a reasonable offer? is increase in 10% of my base pay each year or doubling my production bonus to 10%? Will be a good timing to bring this up to my office manager? I was thinking to start negotiating six months out of my current term as I recently bought a house(stupid mistake, however, it was necessary for family), and I will have time to find a new job if they’re not willing to negotiate. this is my first job out of residency so I’m not sure how to get out this. I appreciate your advice.
 
You miss every ball you don’t swing at. You’re ahead of the curve so you have leverage. I’d go for a “business” discussion but not an “complaint” discussion and also be willing to take on additional administrative responsibilities. In my previous life as an attorney, I felt like the disagreeable aggressive lawyers got bigger deals and were promoted faster, maybe because they asked for more things more often.