salary depends on school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamaldds1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the school you go to for dental school affects how much you make...will you make a lot more if u go to schools like case or nova then you'd make if you went to meharry or howard...im not saying howard or meharry is a bad school i actually have a lot of respect for them but i just want to know if i were to go to meharry or howard will i still make around the same as if i were to go to nyu or case or nova?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think it makes a difference

Nope, it makes no difference. Only difference is consideration for applying to a specialty program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think it makes a difference
generally patients don't know/don't really care about which dental school you went to. They assume that you've had nothing but the best training. What matters is that you are highly competent/skilled, are very warm and friendly, and that you are quick. Those seem to be the keys to making money as a dentist

i agree...i dont htink it makes a differenece; but what if you are planning to work for some other dentist that own's thier own practice...they would know what school is what...then would it make a difference?

School name perhaps can make a difference in obtaining a spot in a residency or obtaining a position as an associate with another dentist. But assuming two dentists work in the same region -- a dentist from Harvard or Columbia will still get paid the same by insurance companies for a given restoration as a dentist from any other school. This probably is part of the reason that basically every dentist I have talked to has told me to go to the cheapest school possible.

Do you guys think the school you go to for dental school affects how much you make...will you make a lot more if u go to schools like case or nova then you'd make if you went to meharry or howard...im not saying howard or meharry is a bad school i actually have a lot of respect for them but i just want to know if i were to go to meharry or howard will i still make around the same as if i were to go to nyu or case or nova?
Actually, some schools have better practice management programs than others. As a result, you'll have a slight advantage in terms of administrative things for a little while if you attend these. I'm not sure which schools have better practice management programs, but you can always inquire so see which ones boast a good practice-management program.

School name perhaps can make a difference in obtaining a spot in a residency or obtaining a position as an associate with another dentist. But assuming two dentists work in the same region -- a dentist from Harvard or Columbia will still get paid the same by insurance companies for a given restoration as a dentist from any other school. This probably is part of the reason that basically every dentist I have talked to has told me to go to the cheapest school possible.
the reputation of the program will aid in specialty/gpr, aegd, to a point, there are other factors

as for working as an associate, i'm sure it would be considered but i don't know if you could really judge someone based on only the reputation of the program, i'm sure some of the lower tiered gpa/dat schools put out dentists who could outshine dentists from schools with high reputations

Actually, some schools have better practice management programs than others. As a result, you'll have a slight advantage in terms of administrative things for a little while if you attend these. I'm not sure which schools have better practice management programs, but you can always inquire so see which ones boast a good practice-management program.
or you can do what many of us will do, and talk to a dentist in your area, and eventually he/she will take you under their wing and will show you the ropes on how to open and run your practice...at least that's what the dentist i shadowed told me he'd do for me, but he's probably the best dentist in the country!!

or it has to do with the region they work in. Maybe california is big on dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
but from that report, ucla grads are making 30k less... you also have to factor in the bonuses received by dentists from the amount of production that they do.

No real correlation because there are way too many other factors involved. I would agree that the region you end up practicing in has much more to do with your salary than the school you go to.

The name of the school you attend makes no difference in your income. None. At all.

None of your patients will know unless you tell them, and even then they still won't care. Patients, in general, care about three things with their dentist:
1) Did it hurt?
2) Did I like how they treated me?
3) Does it look nice and function well?

Please note that "What fraction of your class matched to postdoctorate specialty programs out of school?" and "How many opportunities did you have to publish first-author articles?" are not found in this list.

Likewise, no owner dentist is going to raise your pay as an associate just because of your pedigree. The best dental school is the one that gives *you* the best foundation, both clinical and didactic, for your career as a dentist.

I think there is something to this.

Alumni - I think the Alumni network may make a substantial difference in finding your first job out of school. Could also increase your purchasing opportunities and as you mentioned Starting Salary.

If you are starting your own practice - then no, it doesn't matter.

My 2 Cents.

I think there is something to this.

Alumni - I think the Alumni network may make a substantial difference in finding your first job out of school. Could also increase your purchasing opportunities and as you mentioned Starting Salary.

If you are starting your own practice - then no, it doesn't matter.

My 2 Cents.
Alumni networking pales in comparison to state and local dental society networking, which puts you in regular contact with all the dentists in your area regardless of alma mater. Banks don't care where you graduated from as long as you can pay the mortgage, and I'll repeat one more time: nobody is going to pay you more just because you went to XYZ dental school.

I know it's hard to believe that nobody cares about school pedigrees after you graduate, but it's the plain and simple truth.

Hey ppl,

Im having a hard time looking for statistics on specialty ratings. Somebody said Harvard has like 90% acceptances in to residencies and specialties, and im sure most other schools are not like that. But Does anyone have any other info on this? or possibly a link that I missed?

most important factor to getting paid is PATIENT RETENTION. and to me, that seems more of a characteristic of an individual than something that a school can teach. you will learn some interesting stuff in practice management courses, but the personality of the dentist is key.

Patients, in general, care about three things with their dentist:
1) Did it hurt?
2) Did I like how they treated me?
3) Does it look nice and function well?

lol what kind of "patients" are you treating? I'm guessing your practice/specialty is females only :laugh:

</most immature post ever>

Being in the pre-dent forum is like watching elementary school kids talk about how their dad could beat up your dad.

Props armor, you're hilarious! :thumbup::thumbup:

Being in the pre-dent forum is like watching elementary school kids talk about how their dad could beat up your dad.
:laugh::laugh: Wait, but mine really COULD!

Well, ok, maybe not. My dad's pretty chill.

Can someone say sample size issues....

You know that you can use statistics to prove almost anything, Sixteenumpth percent of people know that.