Salary during fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious what one makes in fellowship after completing a residency? Is it pretty standard in all fields or does it depend on the subspecialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Mike59 said:
Hi all,

I'm curious what one makes in fellowship after completing a residency? Is it pretty standard in all fields or does it depend on the subspecialty?

Mike! You're back! Haven't seen you since that "oil immersion" discussion.

Residency pay goes up a bit each year. For purposes of pay, fellows are considered residents, and you are paid based on your residency year. Thus, to use approximate numbers

pgy-1 38000
pgy-2 40000
Pgy-3 41500

etc etc etc

Thus, fellows in pathology would be at least PGY-5 if not more, depending on how many years they have been in the field (Previous residencies in other specialties don't count, thus you can't keep doing residencies in different fields and having your salary go up). Fellows count as residents when it comes to pay. As far as I know, at least up until PGY-8 it keeps increasing.

Note: I am not sure how it factors in if you do a year off or two for research or something elective. I think, probably, it doesn't count because a research year is generally separately funded. So, if you complete a 4 year path residency, then do a research year, then a fellowship in surg path, you would be paid as a PGY-5 during that fellowship year, even though technically you would be a PGY-6. I am not sure though.

Note also that different institutions pay their residents differently, thus you would be paid according to the scale at that institution. Technically, it would be possible to go to fellowship and make less then what you did as a PGY-4.

any resident/fellow stipend sure beats any debt a medical student goes into during med school :)

anybody got fitty cents? i need a pop