1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

salary for foreign doctors

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DAT_MAN, Mar 11, 2007.

1. DAT_MAN

2+ Year Member

Do foreign doctors from the big 4 make less money than a U.S. doc in the same specialty for the same amount of years? Where do most foreign doctors from the big 4 practice? If you graduate from one of the big 4, do you think you could find a job just as easily as a U.S trained doc? Thanks

2. dutchman

7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    What is big 4?

3. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Based on your prior post history I assume you are referring to the top 3 carribean schools, SGU, Ross, etc. I'd always heard 3, I guess these days the kiddies talk about a 4th.

Basically this is yet another thread asking about the Carribean. This topic has been discussed to death, but the short answer . . .

I don't think you'll find a salary difference between IMGs and US grads in the same specialty. What matters in landing a job is your residency, not your med school. So if you manage to get an IM residency, etc and then get a job afterwards no one will say, well, since he went to a Caribbean school we'll take 15% off his salary.

But yes, you will have a tougher time landing a US allopathic residency comming from the carib than from a US aloopathic school. In specialties like neurosurgery, derm, etc the doors (these days) are basically closed.

4. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think you'll make less as an FMG than as a US MD if you get hired in the same place and withthe same position. The problem with Carribean schools is the high attrition rate and the difficulty of getting into top residency programs or competitive specialities, which will affect salaries. However, hiring places probably don't look at where you did your med school, they only look at where you did your residency, which is affected by where you did your med school.