salary for pathologists in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeping beauty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a buddy who started out at $120,000 in private practice in santa monica

And I too have a buddy in private practice in Santa Monica who started ~$240K. Sounds like your friend got f*d.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I too have a buddy in private practice in Santa Monica who started ~$240K. Sounds like your friend got f*d.

I just looked it up as Santa Monica is small and there are only two hospitals in Santa Monica. One is a Univ of California one. The other is a Caltholic-Private one. The Univ of Calif job might be 120k while the private one might be 240k.

But the range seems reasonable 120k-about 300k depending practice setting, and in general the less desriable the location, the more you make. It is one of the unique facts of medicine and probably due to the fact that managed care and insurers are more powerful in highly populated areas and the more desirable a location is the less you need to offer to get high quality applicants to move there.

Friends in the following places:

Santa Monica- starting at 230K plus quarterly bonuses

Stockton- starting at 265k

San Diego- starting at 145k

San Fran- starting at 185K

That Santa Monica friend of yours has a pretty good life Id say.

I just looked it up as Santa Monica is small and there are only two hospitals in Santa Monica. One is a Univ of California one. The other is a Caltholic-Private one. The Univ of Calif job might be 120k while the private one might be 240k.

But the range seems reasonable 120k-about 300k depending practice setting, and in general the less desriable the location, the more you make. It is one of the unique facts of medicine and probably due to the fact that managed care and insurers are more powerful in highly populated areas and the more desirable a location is the less you need to offer to get high quality applicants to move there.

Completely agree, except that it was stated they were in private practice making $120K.

Last edited:
Friends in the following places:

Santa Monica- starting at 230K plus quarterly bonuses

Stockton- starting at 265k

San Diego- starting at 145k

San Fran- starting at 185K

Of course, what are the partnership levels at each place is the real question.

Yeah, starting salaries are kind of a crappy proxy.

More important questions:
1) Partner salary
2) Do new hires make partner?
3) What is the salary after 2-3 years? Did it increase (as it should?) more than a trivial amount?

Yeah, starting salaries are kind of a crappy proxy.

More important questions:
1) Partner salary
2) Do new hires make partner?
3) What is the salary after 2-3 years? Did it increase (as it should?) more than a trivial amount?

A dermpath friend from socal told me the starting salaries for path jobs there. It was pretty depressing.

Funny, I got offered that at a job interview and thought I heard him wrong. Thanked him for the interview and never called back. Never sell yourself that low, they are taking advantage of you.