Salary for residents in England

Started by giggia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

giggia

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'll start residency near London, England, in August but, as I graduated and currently work abroad, I have no idea of how much one is supposed to earn, either with or without taxes. It would be helpful to have at least a general idea so I can plan things like renting a house. Can anyone help me?
 
Hey! I'll start residency near London, England, in August but, as I graduated and currently work abroad, I have no idea of how much one is supposed to earn, either with or without taxes. It would be helpful to have at least a general idea so I can plan things like renting a house. Can anyone help me?

Like maybe the people you'll be working for? Could they possibly tell you?

Or maybe the Googles?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FY1s make 22k pounds a year working 48 hours a week (you probably will be working a bit longer than that). You can band (which means taking less desirable hours like night shifts) which increases your salary up to 50%. So if you want you can make up to 33k in your 1st year. British junior doctors make better than US residents once you compare the hours worked, but US attendings make more than UK consultants especially specialists.