Salary of dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resagoyal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
can somebody plz tell me about the basic salary of dentists in USA in diferent states
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are not going to get any different answers in this duplicate post. If you want to know the real answer, order the survey from the ADA.org website. What people tell you online will just be a few random samples anyway, and may not even be true. And if any did have the survey (most people do not - I don't plan on buying it until I am interested in buying practices), then it would cost them a ton of time to copy everything up here. (Not to mention any copyright infringement - it would deter future surveys being done because it costs money to do them, and they are a very useful tool for practicing dentists.)

So, if you want to know, buy the survey. If you are truly interested in practicing dentistry, it is not that expensive.

10 million trillion gazillion dollars and 37 cents per year .

Except for Florida, where they are all starving, so stay away

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there you go. At least that's something.

Rezdawg said:
Those numbers are so whack. Texas with a median salary of 77,000. I can do better than that by bartending.

I noticed that also...it seemed low..however the numbers we quote are from the ADA do you think they are inflating the salary? or using the high 75% as the average?

To answer your question....

Fresh out of dschool.....

70k-150k South and Midwest. Higher in North and California due to higher Standard of Living.

It all depends on how many hours you work, where, associate or owner, etc...

Alot of dental salary data is hindered because alot of dentists work like 3.5 days or less and are included in data. Thats why salary sites might be low or what not. Its not normal 40-60 hrs a week you gonna be working if you want to make alot of money.

Just believe you will make as much as you want, and you can.

If you trying to decide what region of the US you can make the most money. The answer is anywhere because the Cost of Living and salary are proportional.

Just my two sense.

RP

gator1210 said:
Alot of dental salary data is hindered because alot of dentists work like 3.5 days or less and are included in data. Thats why salary sites might be low or what not.
Also, 3rd-party "salary" sites get much of their information from public records. These are predominantly salaried dentists employed by some company or chain or government facility. So these sites are sampling from arguably the lowest payscales out there.

I'm in Texas and I moonlighted 20 hours a week on the average last year. I made a little over $40G. This was one of those "bottom-of-the-payscale" jobs because I was doing mobile dentistry in nursing homes where I spent roughly half of my time driving (35 cents per mile). And I only got $25 for an extraction and $250 per arch for dentures. This are the same fees my dental school charged. But it still got me $40 Gs on 20 hours a week.

toofache32 said:
Also, 3rd-party "salary" sites get much of their information from public records. These are predominantly salaried dentists employed by some company or chain or government facility. So these sites are sampling from arguably the lowest payscales out there.

I'm in Texas and I moonlighted 20 hours a week on the average last year. I made a little over $40G. This was one of those "bottom-of-the-payscale" jobs because I was doing mobile dentistry in nursing homes where I spent roughly half of my time driving (35 cents per mile). And I only got $25 for an extraction and $250 per arch for dentures. This are the same fees my dental school charged. But it still got me $40 Gs on 20 hours a week.

Don't forget the 163,497 miles he put on his hyndai at .35 cents. (I think doggie just drove all over Texas and put the bill on his dental employer ;) )

toofache32 said:

Don't forget the 163,497 miles he put on his hyndai at .35 cents. (I think doggie just drove all over Texas and put the bill on his dental employer ;) )

LAZYGUY said:

It's amazing the lack of common-sense displayed! :laugh: -- to check the salary wizard for salaries of EMPLOYEES! Dentists (95%) are business OWNERS not employees. The only numbers those sites have are of employed dentists in state health care clinics, state prisons, and government own facilities. :laugh: Which amount to the lowest paid individuals and less than 2% of the dentists.

Only the ADA collects the profit numbers from the buisness owners and their associates, I mean dentists :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer for the "average" dental practitioner is you'll be easily in the top 5% of all wage earners in the U.S. :thumbup: You'll be able to pay back your student loans, afford a house (start off smallish and paydown the loans first), if your smart with your money, you'll accumulate a very nice retirement nest egg, and you'll be able to take care of your family quite comfortably.

Will you be driving a new Ferrari or a Maybach, probably not, will you be able to afford a house like the $38 million dollar one that Tiger Woods just bought, probably not, will you have your private G5 jet waiting to take you at a moments notice anywhere in the world, probably not.

However, will you likely be able to once the loans are paid off drive a very nice German Touring sedan or a Hummer H2 if you so choose, yes! Will you likely be able to afford to live in one of the nicer areas of your community, yes! Will you be able to book a week at Disney for you, your spouse and the kids staying at a very nice hotel and not have to worry about be able to afford the vacation, yes!

In short, if you're working an "average" number of hours, making "average" dentist $$, financially you'll be quite comfortable :D Although you will start getting stressed/annoyed/shocked when your accountant tells you what you'll pay in taxes each and every year :eek:

DrJeff said:
Short answer for the "average" dental practitioner is you'll be easily in the top 5% of all wage earners in the U.S. :thumbup: You'll be able to pay back your student loans, afford a house (start off smallish and paydown the loans first), if your smart with your money, you'll accumulate a very nice retirement nest egg, and you'll be able to take care of your family quite comfortably.

Will you be driving a new Ferrari or a Maybach, probably not, will you be able to afford a house like the $38 million dollar one that Tiger Woods just bought, probably not, will you have your private G5 jet waiting to take you at a moments notice anywhere in the world, probably not.

However, will you likely be able to once the loans are paid off drive a very nice German Touring sedan or a Hummer H2 if you so choose, yes! Will you likely be able to afford to live in one of the nicer areas of your community, yes! Will you be able to book a week at Disney for you, your spouse and the kids staying at a very nice hotel and not have to worry about be able to afford the vacation, yes!

In short, if you're working an "average" number of hours, making "average" dentist $$, financially you'll be quite comfortable :D Although you will start getting stressed/annoyed/shocked when your accountant tells you what you'll pay in taxes each and every year :eek:

YESSSS...he said "probably" not drive a ferrari....So your saying theres a chance. !!!!Sweet

Talking to a DDS 2 years out of Med-School, I found out he just started a business and is working part-time at a clinic on the side. The corporation pays him as an independent contractor, meaning no taxes withheld, and he makes $850 a day salary. That should give you an idea of what to look at making.

To break it down:
850 a Day, 5 Days a week, 4 weeks a month = 17,000 Before Taxes.

Witholding your own taxes as a private contracter in the state of Nevada usually requires 30% holdings of your earnings, to be paid quarterly or yearly. Therefore,

17000 * 0.30 = $5,100 held from each paycheck for taxes, which you can either stick in a high-yield account and earn interest on it or pay quarterly.
This leaves you with: $11,900 a month for earnings that you can spend out of pocket.

Ythicus said:
Talking to a DDS 2 years out of Med-School, I found out he just started a business and is working part-time at a clinic on the side. The corporation pays him as an independent contractor, meaning no taxes withheld, and he makes $850 a day salary. That should give you an idea of what to look at making.

To break it down:

Witholding your own taxes as a private contracter in the state of Nevada usually requires 30% holdings of your earnings, to be paid quarterly or yearly. Therefore,

17000 * 0.30 = $5,100 held from each paycheck for taxes, which you can either stick in a high-yield account and earn interest on it or pay quarterly.
This leaves you with: $11,900 a month for earnings that you can spend out of pocket.

Wow, where does he practice? By the way, I think everyone assumes you meant Dental School.

i made roughly 489K after taxes in my first year of operating a high-end endo practice in Malibu....

Hey, DO YOU ENDO, I hope you know that you ARE living out my dream: Dentist chilling in Malibu.

My question to you, since you have experience:

1-) How hard is it to get an associate position as a freshly graduated dentist in the Malibu area (basically from Santa Monica upwards)

2-) How much $ can one expect to make?

I realize I may not become an endodontist or even specialize at all, but your input would help. Like I said, you're living the dream.

Ythicus said:

To break it down:

Very reasonable and a good look into early practice life.

Do You Endo said:
i made roughly 489K after taxes in my first year of operating a high-end endo practice in Malibu....

Hello,

If you can refer your endo to me for restorations, I will take you out for lunch! How much do your prosthodontist friends make? DP

gator1210 said:
YESSSS...he said "probably" not drive a ferrari....So your saying theres a chance. !!!!Sweet

Of course you can drive a Ferrari...send the kids to public school, cut up the wife's credit cards, eat Ramen noodles 3 days a week, etc...

Do whatever it takes to get a Ferrari. I will.

Regarding the $850 figure, it's not so far fetched. I came to Las vegas in 2004, and worked as an independent contractor. I bargained for 850/day plus 15% commission on production over 3,000/day. So, in a month, I earn about 22,000-25,000 working 5-6 days a week. Not too bad for an NYU grad. However, it's tough to negotiate that kind of salary now. New grads can usually negotiate 650-700 starting. That is,if you are not put on a percentage of production or collection. In addition, there are a lot of dental offices springing up around the las vegas valley; hence, competition is tough. Good luck with dental school. Finish requirements early so you can start finding patients for board exams in your states. Best of luck.