Salary Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dryacku

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know may get drilled for this question.... so let me make myself clear I know its not all about the money and yes I truly enjoy anesthesia....

But lifestyle including money is very important to me.... so my question back in the 90's why were soo few people interested in anesthesia... was the salary less????

also if that was the case do you guys see in the future meaning 7-10 years from now salary droping again....

it seems as if alot starting jobs are at 300000 and above according to gasworks with the weekend's off is this the norm??? and how long will it last...

once again I do love anesthesia cuz if was really all about the cash i would just do derm...

Members don't see this ad.

it's going to go down...

and you'll have to work weekends and nights.

Dryacku said:
I know may get drilled for this question.... so let me make myself clear I know its not all about the money and yes I truly enjoy anesthesia....

But lifestyle including money is very important to me.... so my question back in the 90's why were soo few people interested in anesthesia... was the salary less????

also if that was the case do you guys see in the future meaning 7-10 years from now salary droping again....

it seems as if alot starting jobs are at 300000 and above according to gasworks with the weekend's off is this the norm??? and how long will it last...

once again I do love anesthesia cuz if was really all about the cash i would just do derm...

There are not alot of 300K-plus jobs out there where you dont work weekends/nights/holidays.

I dont know where youre getting your information.

And for all future salary-inquisitive-posters out there,

I'll answer your question so we can move on to the next thread.......since I'm getting a little steamed.....

we are well compensated. But ya wanna make the big cash?

Don't expect to ask for weekends off. And expect to work some Christmas/Memorial Day/July 4ths......

Yeah, young colleagues. My ultimate job would look just like yours....big dollars, nine-to-five...but get real, OK? Big cash in anesthesia means working hard during the day and taking your share of nights/holidays/weekends.

There are no free rides.

So heres my post on SDN:

HEY, YA'LL, I'm a med student and have the same syndrome as Jim Carey on Liar Liar so what I post is what I'm thinking....I've noticed that med students funnel into the HIGHEST PAID specialties with the BEST LIFESTYLE which isnt bad except they try and justify their selections with alotta b ull ****....why not just come out and say....I wanna go into anesthesia because the money is great and so is the lifestyle, at least on an anonymous internet board?!!! So anyway I'm gonna come to an internet site, say I REALLY REALLY like anesthesia, then try and subtly inquire about how to get a 300k-plus salary that guarantees weekends off....

OK, back into Jet's body.

I've told you before and I'll tell you again. I work to live. My paycheck and vacation are what make me tick. Am I good at what I do? Yep.

Just that life outside my work-microcosm is whats really important to me. My precious kids. My wife.....(uhhh...most of the time... :D ).

Don't mistake this for being lazy....I probably work MORE than my partners since, when its my day to be first-off, I stay longer than I need to, seeing pre-ops, doing an epidural the call-guy had time to do, etc.

BUT,

AT LEAST I'M HONEST. NO SMOKESCREEN FROM HERE.

So future posters, if you're gonna inquire about $ and lifestyle,

simply post your question.

No need to preface it with patronizing, rhetorical B.S. professing your love of anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
Don't expect to ask for weekends off. And expect to work some Christmas/Memorial Day/July 4ths......

Yeah, young colleagues. My ultimate job would look just like yours....big dollars, nine-to-five...but get real, OK? Big cash in anesthesia means working hard during the day and taking your share of nights/holidays/weekends.

Wondering if you could clarify that. In my city the private practice guys work M-F 7AM-3PM, and the partners clear well over $300K.

Nights and weekends are always off unless you are on call - which can range from q7, q14, 2 weeks of working only nights and weekends with no call the rest of the year, etc. The call schedules are dependent on the group that you work for (i.e. how big it is).

I didn't know if this is the kind of setup you were referring to or if you meant that it is common to work 6 days/week and have cases run into the evening on a regular basis.

DrRobert said:
Wondering if you could clarify that. In my city the private practice guys work M-F 7AM-3PM, and the partners clear well over $300K.

Nights and weekends are always off unless you are on call - which can range from q7, q14, 2 weeks of working only nights and weekends with no call the rest of the year, etc. The call schedules are dependent on the group that you work for (i.e. how big it is).

I didn't know if this is the kind of setup you were referring to or if you meant that it is common to work 6 days/week and have cases run into the evening on a regular basis.

I don't know who you are, or where you are.

But I'll go along with you....so follow me....

SO, in "your city", the "private practice guys" work 7-3 for 300K, huh?

WHAT HAPPENS AT 3 0'CLOCK??? DOES THE ANESTHESIA MACHINE TURN INTO A PUMPKIN EVEN THOUGH SURGERIES ALMOST NEVER END WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO? SO THE "PRIVATE PRACTICE GUYS' IN YOUR CITY LOOK AT THEIR WATCH AT 3, TELL THE SURGEON, "UHHH, DUDE, ITS 3PM. LATER BRO. JUST CLICK OFF THE SEVO VAPORIZER WHEN YOU FINISH UP." ?????

Its obvious you are posting misinformation to the detriment of this forum. And I know it is not malicious....but it angers me when a MYTH is perpetuated....

.....SOMEONE HAS TO FINISH CASES. ALL SURGERIES DON'T MAGICALLY END AT THREE O CLOCK.

jetproppilot said:
.....SOMEONE HAS TO FINISH CASES. ALL SURGERIES DON'T MAGICALLY END AT THREE O CLOCK.

:laugh:

I tell my surgerons that time is up.....I'm leaving.

I leave clear, concise written directions on how to wake up the patient.

My surgeons all understand that I, as an anesthesiologist, am not expected to work past 3, so they either finish up by 3 or they deal with waking up a patient.

jetproppilot said:
I don't know who you are, or where you are.

But I'll go along with you....so follow me....

SO, in "your city", the "private practice guys" work 7-3 for 300K, huh?

WHAT HAPPENS AT 3 0'CLOCK??? DOES THE ANESTHESIA MACHINE TURN INTO A PUMPKIN EVEN THOUGH SURGERIES ALMOST NEVER END WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO? SO THE "PRIVATE PRACTICE GUYS' IN YOUR CITY LOOK AT THEIR WATCH AT 3, TELL THE SURGEON, "UHHH, DUDE, ITS 3PM. LATER BRO. JUST CLICK OFF THE SEVO VAPORIZER WHEN YOU FINISH UP." ?????

Its obvious you are posting misinformation to the detriment of this forum. And I know it is not malicious....but it angers me when a MYTH is perpetuated....

Most cases are done by 3PM, and the MD on call takes over the remaining cases along with 2 CRNAs.

DrRobert said:

The UNLESS in your post is cleverly minimized....even though it is the BASTARD of this profession....something one cannot avoid when in quest for the very big dollars....with rare exception.

Yeah, when I finished residency I joined one of those groups that had a butt load of vacation and made a lot more than 300K, a lot more. We did a bit more call than just a couple of days a year but it wasn't that bad.

Well, I left that group. And that is because it ain't always what they say it is. The members will sugar coat it way too much. I found out that things were not so great. Don't get me wrong, I liked the group I was in but it wasn't the deal I thought I signed up for. That is not why I left though.

Better surroundings! :D

jetproppilot said:
The UNLESS in your post is cleverly minimized....even though it is the BASTARD of this profession....something one cannot avoid when in quest for the very big dollars....with rare exception.

Actually it's bolded. :D

DrRobert said:
Most cases are done by 3PM, and the MD on call takes over the remaining cases along with 2 CRNAs.

So who does the MD call? Lets see...the "MD call" takes over at 3pm.....so thats 16 hours of call , monday through friday.

Thats not chump change. Don't minimize it like its some afterthought.

So does some MD FAIRY come along and make-everything-ok-in-the-call-hours?

And what happens on Saturday and Sunday? Does the MD FAIRY make these hours disappear too?

Fair enough.

My point was that these groups work M-F 7AM-3PM with weekends off if you don't include the call schedule. After 3PM, a team consisting of one MD and 2 CRNAs take over the cases that are still going and pick up any emergency cases/epidurals that occur throughout the night.

The call schedule, depending on the group, can be as rigorous as q7 or as light as q14 with a few weekend calls per year.

Does this seem reasonable, or am I still spreading misinformation? Because this is reality here.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
So who does the MD call? Lets see...the "MD call" takes over at 3pm.....so thats 16 hours of call , monday through friday.

Thats not chump change. Don't minimize it like its some afterthought.

So does some MD FAIRY come along and make-everything-ok-in-the-call-hours?

And what happens on Saturday and Sunday? Does the MD FAIRY make these hours disappear too?

That's 16 hours of call every 7th day or every 14th day. And within the group that has q14 call, each MD has to do a few weekend calls during the year. A weekend call being Sat morning through Monday morning home beeper with 2 CRNAs.

Noyac said:
Yeah, when I finished residency I joined one of those groups that had a butt load of vacation and made a lot more than 300K, a lot more. We did a bit more call than just a couple of days a year but it wasn't that bad.

Well, I left that group. And that is because it ain't always what they say it is. The members will sugar coat it way too much. I found out that things were not so great. Don't get me wrong, I liked the group I was in but it wasn't the deal I thought I signed up for. That is not why I left though.

Better surroundings! :D

Spoken by a veteran, not some dude prodessing heresay about the private guys in my area.

There are no free rides in this business.

Yes, you can make alotta money.

Yes, you can take alotta vacation.

But you're gonna pay physically and emotionally for those specialty-attributes.

Geez, I'm leaning towards MilMDs cynical attitude on this subject.

Med students wanna make 300K with rare call and no weekends.

Sounds like you need to go to law school and roll the dice in that arena.

Not sure why you're getting angry at me and accusing me of spreading misinformation. I am posting accurate information about some of the groups in my city. I may not be in the groups, but you don't have to be in the group to know the details. It's called having family members and friends in the group. Do you not tell anyone about the salaries/hours/calls within your group - or is that a secret?

If you find it too good to be true, then try to get a job here.

DrRobert said:
Not sure why you're getting angry at me and accusing me of spreading misinformation. I am posting accurate information about some of the groups in my city. I may not be in the groups, but you don't have to be in the group to know the details. It's called having family members and friends in the group. Do you not tell anyone about the salaries/hours/calls within your group - or is that a secret?

If you find it too good to be true, then try to get a job here.

Not angry.

Have incessantly posted about my good fortunes, so I'm not a bottom feeder posting out of envy. I don't want to "try and get a job" there. I don't need another job.

I can guarantee you my gig is better monetarily....and...uhhhh.....do the "guys in your area" get 13 weeks vacation?

My point is that everything isnt rosy.....night call is the nemesis of this business...yes, I'm in the top bracket of anesthesiolgists but I am tortured on my night week. No free rides...

so would you mind posting specifics?

What do you mean by clearing "well over" 300K?

Do you mean 500-600K?

Or 310K?

Theres a big difference when you are implying the "partners" rarely take call.

And you may think I'm splitting hairs here.

I'm protective of info disseminated on this board. Many people stop here, and its important that they read close-to-the-truth info.

And many posts that imply credibility are made by people that don't make their living as an anesthesiologist.

jetproppilot said:
Not angry.

Have incessantly posted about my good fortunes, so I'm not a bottom feeder posting out of envy. I don't want to "try and get a job" there. I don't need another job.

I can guarantee you my gig is better monetarily....and...uhhhh.....do the "guys in your area" get 13 weeks vacation?

My point is that everything isnt rosy.....night call is the nemesis of this business...yes, I'm in the top bracket of anesthesiolgists but I am tortured on my night week. No free rides...

so would you mind posting specifics?

What do you mean by clearing "well over" 300K?

Do you mean 500-600K?

Or 310K?

Theres a big difference when you are implying the "partners" rarely take call.

And you may think I'm splitting hairs here.

I'm protective of info disseminated on this board. Many people stop here, and its important that they read close-to-the-truth info.

And many posts that imply credibility are made by people that don't make their living as an anesthesiologist.

Partners make around $500K at the group with q7 call. They get 10 weeks vacation.

Partners make around $400K at the group with q14 call + some weekend calls. They get 12 weeks vacation.

Partners make around $300K at the group with 2 weeks of night and weekend call and no call for the rest of the year. They get 14 weeks of vacation. This group sells themself as the "family friendly" group because of all the time off and little call. However, they make significantly less than the other groups.

to add a disclaimer: I do make a living by being an anesthesiologist - a resident anesthesiologist. :D

DrRobert said:
Partners make around $500K at the group with q7 call. They get 10 weeks vacation.

Partners make around $400K at the group with q14 call + some weekend calls. They get 12 weeks vacation.

Partners make around $300K at the group with 2 weeks of night and weekend call and no call for the rest of the year. They get 14 weeks of vacation. This group sells themself as the "family friendly" group because of all the time off and little call. However, they make significantly less than the other groups.

to add a disclaimer: I do make a living by being an anesthesiologist - a resident anesthesiologist. :D

Thank you for the informative thread.

Now lets get down to brass tacks, so readers can be totally informed.

Is that 500K W-2? Meaning they make 500K plus benefits?

Or is it 500K 10-99? Meaning they make 500K, minus malpractice (25-30k), minus health insurance for practioner/family (20K), minus retirement (40k)?

I think its important to elucidate to readers that advertisements may be misleading....

400K IN THE TROPICS!!!

may-or-may-not be 400k.....

it may REALLY be 300K plus benefits....

jetproppilot said:
Thank you for the informative thread.

Now lets get down to brass tacks, so readers can be totally informed.

Is that 500K W-2? Meaning they make 500K plus benefits?

Or is it 500K 10-99? Meaning they make 500K, minus malpractice (25-30k), minus health insurance for practioner/family (20K), minus retirement (40k)?

I think its important to elucidate to readers that advertisements may be misleading....

400K IN THE TROPICS!!!

I agree that getting all the details out is better.

All of the salaries mentioned for the 3 groups do not include benefits.

I'm not sure about your tax lingo because I'm just not familiar with it. But I can give you an example:

Group 1 makes $500K/year. Malpractice insurance is paid. Health insurance is paid. 401k is set up and a certain % is matched by the group.

So the $500K is what they clear pre-tax.

DrRobert said:
Fair enough.

My point was that these groups work M-F 7AM-3PM with weekends off if you don't include the call schedule.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Me too, Dude. And Mil. And UT. And Noy.

We only work Monday through Friday too.

Exclusively.

IF you don't include our call schedule.

On the same line of thinking,

There is no national debt.

IF you don't include the national debt.

When swimming in the ocean there is no fear of drowning.

IF you don't include the risk of drowning.

jetproppilot said:
400K IN THE TROPICS!!!

There is NO FRIGGIN WAY I'd put up with that
tropical scene for only 300k...I'd starve to death! :p

j/k...most I made in my previous life was ~45k and that was
with a ton of overtime. :thumbdown:

jetproppilot said:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Me too, Dude. And Mil. And UT. And Noy.

We only work Monday through Friday too.

Exclusively.

IF you don't include our call schedule.

On the same line of thinking,

There is no national debt.

IF you don't include the national debt.

When swimming in the ocean there is no fear of drowning.

IF you don't include the risk of drowning.

I understand how you could interpret my post as being ******ed.

However, I thought the OP wanted to know if the typical hours for a private practice anesthesiologist were either:

A. M-F 7AM-3PM, weekends off. Add call in.

or

B. M-S 7AM-7PM, Sunday off. Add call in.

My point is that it is not common to work past 3PM and it is not common to work the weekends on your non-call days.

DR Robert,

Something doesn't add up.

Yes, you can earn a lot in private practice, but it also means working hard....nights and weekends.

Can you give more specifics?

Location, type of cases, w-2 vs 1099, etc.

If what you say is true, then I may be considering a move from my current practice.

militarymd said:
DR Robert,

Yes, you can earn a lot in private practice, but it also means working hard....nights and weekends.

If what you say is true, then I may be considering a move from my current practice.

The highest paying group does q7 call with only 10 weeks of vacation. And that call night could easily fall on a weekend. You don't consider that working hard?

I already answered the W-2 vs. 1099 question, and I PMed you with more specifics.

militarymd said:
DR Robert,

And don't misconstrue my posts, Robert.

One of my current partners worked in a group in the southeast for 11 years prior to moving here..

..he made > 700K annually.

read that again.

Its not a typo.

But his practice had decided to make big dollars by running lean...

which meant every OTHER or every THIRD night call. And he worked on his POST CALL DAY til at least noon or 1pm.

Yep, he made big bucks.

But for eleven years he worked alotta EVERY OTHER NIGHT CALL. And worked post call.

Yes, he is now a multi-millionaire.

But those C-notes werent made working banker hours.

jetproppilot said:
And
which meant every OTHER or every THIRD night call. And he worked on his POST CALL DAY til at least noon or 1pm.

That is brutal. It's like being a resident for your entire career.

DrRobert said:
My point is that it is not common to work past 3 PM and it is not common to work the weekends on your non-call days.

Sorry.

You are distorting the truth while concominantly posting greater than 300K.

Dear readers,

this dude has obviously acquired some majorly potent Hawaiin Con Bud, grown under hydroponic lighting, and is posting during exhalation.

jetproppilot said:
Sorry.

You are distorting the truth while concominantly posting greater than 300K.

Dear readers,

this dude has obviously acquired some majorly potent Hawaiin Con Bud, grown under hydroponic lighting, and is posting during exhalation.

ok. So why don't you post specifics about your group?

How often do you work past 3PM on your non-call days?

How many weekend days do you work on your non-call days?

DrRobert said:
Two things stand out here.

1. Your group doesn't have the night call guy step in til 6PM, so you have to work later than the groups I mentioned. My groups chose 3PM as their designated time when the night call guy steps in.

2. The groups I mentioned all have 10-20 MDs in them.

How many crna's?
I suspect they have more crna's than MD's. They probably do the medical direction (I get them mixed up, it could be the supervision) model. This way they can run many rooms and bill for all the sites thru the crna only and pay them a salary while collecting their cases. They probably work the dog dh*t out of the crna's and run around like crazy from room to room. Speculation of course.

My point exactly... for all you wondering where I got the 300-400 numbers its from anesthesiologists and GASWORK.... jet your making over 400 and still getting a whole week off... granted you work like crazy your other weeks... so my real question is WILL THIS LAST... WILL THE 300-400 salaries exist... okay you work a couple wknds a month and few call... but do you think this will last for the next 10-20years????

Noyac said:
How many crna's?
I suspect they have more crna's than MD's. They probably do the medical direction (I get them mixed up, it could be the supervision) model. This way they can run many rooms and bill for all the sites thru the crna only and pay them a salary while collecting their cases. They probably work the dog dh*t out of the crna's and run around like crazy from room to room. Speculation of course.

I don't know the number of CRNAs they use. I do know that each MD frequently supervises 2 CRNAs, although at times the MDs get to do their own cases.

Dryacku said:
My point exactly... for all you wondering where I got the 300-400 numbers its from anesthesiologists and GASWORK.... jet your making over 400 and still getting a whole week off... granted you work like crazy your other weeks... so my real question is WILL THIS LAST... WILL THE 300-400 salaries exist... okay you work a couple wknds a month and few call... but do you think this will last for the next 10-20years????

It probably won't last but it isn't all that different for any other specialties. The salaries in just about every field are dropping.

What will start to happen, in my opinion, is that groups will start to hire more crnas so that they can work them like dogs and supervise the less and less therfore maintaining their income as much as possible. As Proman mentioned on the "other" forum, they will give the crna's more autonomy and the quality won't be measured b/c the pts will go to sleep and wake up and the crna will move on to the next case. Many surgeons won't necessarily care as long as the cases get done and they won't really have an option. :thumbdown:

jetproppilot said:

There are no free rides.

I disagree

Big dollars in anesthesia is having other people work hard during the day for you and take your share of nights/holidays/weekends where you at home collecting money for not even working... thats where the BIG CASH lay. not slaving away doing case after case like I do..

seems to be an epidemic in anesthesia for people who work the least make the most money..

DrRobert said:
Two things stand out here.

1. Your group doesn't have the night call guy step in til 6PM, so you have to work later than the groups I mentioned. My groups chose 3PM as their designated time when the night call guy steps in.

2. The groups I mentioned all have 10-20 MDs in them.

So what happens with cases that don't finish after 3....ie more rooms then the call staff can handle?

militarymd said:
So what happens with cases that don't finish after 3....ie more rooms then the call staff can handle?

In those instances another MD/CRNA team would be required to stay until those cases are finished. I'm sure this does happen, but it doesn't sound like it happens very often.

Sounds like a MGMA 95% type of job....

Things that come to mind:

1) When was the last time they hired?
2) Do they list on Gaswork?
3) Do they use recruiters?
4) What is the partnership track length?
5) At anyone time how many people are on that "track", and how many make it?

Those are other things to consider.

In general, I subscribe to the "if it sounds too good to be true, it's too good to be true".

However, some things are too good to be true...like the HPSP scholarship.

Dryacku said:
so my real question is WILL THIS LAST... WILL THE 300-400 salaries exist... okay you work a couple wknds a month and few call... but do you think this will last for the next 10-20years????

I wish I could answer you with some conviction.

Truth is I don't really know.

Put our anesthesia microcosm aside for a minute.

Market Forces run the economy.

Right now our market is hot.

I don't know how long it'll last. Maybe it'll stay hot. Maybe it won't.

I don't think anything is predictable.

Except death and taxes.

Example: You invest in a SURE THING ten years ago. Proctor & Gamble. Then one day you wake up and its been cut in HALF.

Theres no such thing as a sure thing.

Except, well, death and taxes.

Thanks Jet... I understand that... Nothing is ever for sure... In fact I am even okaying with making 200 or so if thats what happens...

Let me see if you have any insight on this... Why was anesthesia so easy to get into 5-10 years ago... was the market oversaturated or was salary much lower... or was it that no one liked it???

Im just curious about the 90's

thanks

jetproppilot said:
I wish I could answer you with some conviction.

Truth is I don't really know.

Put our anesthesia microcosm aside for a minute.

Market Forces run the economy.

Right now our market is hot.

I don't know how long it'll last. Maybe it'll stay hot. Maybe it won't.

I don't think anything is predictable.

Except death and taxes.

Example: You invest in a SURE THING ten years ago. Proctor & Gamble. Then one day you wake up and its been cut in HALF.

Theres no such thing as a sure thing.

Except, well, death and taxes.

militarymd said:
Sounds like a MGMA 95% type of job....

Things that come to mind:

1) When was the last time they hired?
2) Do they list on Gaswork?
3) Do they use recruiters?
4) What is the partnership track length?
5) At anyone time how many people are on that "track", and how many make it?

The questions I can answer:

1. They hired 2 MDs last July but will not be hiring any this July.

2. They do not list on Gaswork or use recruiters. You need connections to get an interview.

3. Partnership track is 1 year. Not sure if anyone has ever been cut after the first year.

Dryacku said:
Thanks Jet... I understand that... Nothing is ever for sure... In fact I am even okaying with making 200 or so if thats what happens...

Let me see if you have any insight on this... Why was anesthesia so easy to get into 5-10 years ago... was the market oversaturated or was salary much lower... or was it that no one liked it???

Im just curious about the 90's

thanks

I'm not Jet but I'll try to answer the question as to how I see it. Back then many were steered towards the primary care fields and the specialty fields were suspected of being less needed. I'm sure there were other reasons but this was one big one.

Noyac said:
I'm not Jet but I'll try to answer the question as to how I see it. Back then many were steered towards the primary care fields and the specialty fields were suspected of being less needed. I'm sure there were other reasons but this was one big one.

True, Noy.

Additionally, from a pragmatic standpoint, anesthesia has always been a non-limelight specialty....when one is in the med student period of a career, egos/philanthropic attitudes of saving the world/fame/control/big time, feared playa aspirations (i.e. heart surgeon) are major factors in specialty selection.

I wanna be a family practice doc, go back to my home town, and have my own patients.

I wanna be an orthopedic surgeon because 1) I can get the residency that most people can't 2) they're reputation is studly 3) great money

I wanna be a heart surgeon because they sit To The Right of The Father and The Holy Ghost...

Anesthesia doesnt fit any of these.

Hardly anyone goes to med school wanting to be an anesthesiologist.

And your exposure to it in med school is brief....not alotta emphasis....

the big attraction to anesthesia now is the money along with the no-clinic/no note writing/no rounding traits. Not passing judgement at all, but like someone said previously, specialty selection is alot like the stock market.

Alotta people jump in when a stock is hot.

I DID like anesthesia...but that wasnt the only reason I went into it, as my previous posts have elucidated.

Additionally, a med students experiences on rotations are very influential.

I bonded with the anesthesia residents at U of M...the residents I was paired with were all outgoing who lived for a life outside the hospital...one was even a pilot...!!! They worked hard, were good at what they did, but their identity was outside the hospital.

And that is.....me.

Thanks for the help... I def agree with the thought of have a life outside of the hospital...

jetproppilot said:
True, Noy.

Additionally, from a pragmatic standpoint, anesthesia has always been a non-limelight specialty....when one is in the med student period of a career, egos/philanthropic attitudes of saving the world/fame/control/big time, feared playa aspirations (i.e. heart surgeon) are major factors in specialty selection.

I wanna be a family practice doc, go back to my home town, and have my own patients.

I wanna be an orthopedic surgeon because 1) I can get the residency that most people can't 2) they're reputation is studly 3) great money

I wanna be a heart surgeon because they sit To The Right of The Father and The Holy Ghost...

the big attraction to anesthesia now is the money along with the no-clinic/no note writing/no rounding traits. Not passing judgement at all, but like someone said previously, specialty selection is alot like the stock market.

I DID like anesthesia...but that wasnt the only reason I went into it, as my previous posts have elucidated.

I bonded with the anesthesia residents at U of M...the residents I was paired with were all outgoing who lived for a life outside the hospital...one was even a pilot...!!! They worked hard, were good at what they did, but their identity was outside the hospital.

And that is.....me.

jetproppilot said:
True, Noy.

And that is.....me.

i wrote the same post a few names ago... and military scoffed at me...

Greetings,
I am just starting CA3 year and have been on the phone with a number of practices arranging interviews, many of whom are on gaswork. Some of the numbers listed on gaswork are not accurate, just as some of the numbers thrown out by recruiters are not. I have noticed, as has been written by those before on this board, that the numbers listed often include benefits as a "package deal." For instance, group A lists a minimum income of $290-$300k/year and max of $350-$360k/year. I talk to the head of group A and find out that the actual guaranteed salary is $250k the first year, with a $25k retirement contribution. He then proceeds to say that "you can make more money if you choose to take more call." There are 4 anesthesiologists and 3 CRNAs in the practice. If you take more than 5 calls/month, you get paid $1000 per call. If you work harder, you can make what they list on gaswork (if you don't include the retirement contriubtion).

As I am learning, there are really few jobs that are giving away free money. The ones that list greater salaries are, invariably, in remote locations, and tend to be smaller groups that take at least 1:5 call and pay more if you take more call. From talking to groups, the best offers I am seeing, on average, are $260 -$290k/year first year + benefits, 2 years to partner, 5-6 weeks vacation the first year. The average call is about 1:5 - 1:6. I have been told on phone interviews anything from as low as $215k to as high as $400k. That said, the market seems to be GOOD for us right now.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any thoughts.

Cheers,
PMMD :thumbup:

pmichaelmd said:
Greetings,
I am just starting CA3 year and have been on the phone with a number of practices arranging interviews, many of whom are on gaswork. Some of the numbers listed on gaswork are not accurate, just as some of the numbers thrown out by recruiters are not. I have noticed, as has been written by those before on this board, that the numbers listed often include benefits as a "package deal." For instance, group A lists a minimum income of $290-$300k/year and max of $350-$360k/year. I talk to the head of group A and find out that the actual guaranteed salary is $250k the first year, with a $25k retirement contribution. He then proceeds to say that "you can make more money if you choose to take more call." There are 4 anesthesiologists and 3 CRNAs in the practice. If you take more than 5 calls/month, you get paid $1000 per call. If you work harder, you can make what they list on gaswork (if you don't include the retirement contriubtion).

As I am learning, there are really few jobs that are giving away free money. The ones that list greater salaries are, invariably, in remote locations, and tend to be smaller groups that take at least 1:5 call and pay more if you take more call. From talking to groups, the best offers I am seeing, on average, are $260 -$290k/year first year + benefits, 2 years to partner, 5-6 weeks vacation the first year. The average call is about 1:5 - 1:6. I have been told on phone interviews anything from as low as $215k to as high as $400k. That said, the market seems to be GOOD for us right now.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any thoughts.

Cheers,
PMMD :thumbup:

What area of the country are you looking in?

If you don't mind me asking.

I'm looking all over the place. I'm looking a little bit here in FL as I'm here now, but then I'm looking in the Midwest and Northeast (OH, IN, IL, WI, PA, NY, MA, NH, CT, ME, MD, VA, VT, RI). Some of it is from gaswork, others are privately referred, word-of-mouth type deals.

You also starting the interview deal?

PMMD

jetproppilot said:
But you're gonna pay physically and emotionally for those specialty-attributes.

Geez, I'm leaning towards MilMDs cynical attitude on this subject.

Med students wanna make 300K with rare call and no weekends.

Jet- you know I read most of your posts, and you do sound pissed off here. What is getting your goat- the misinformation or that you feel like medical students have unrealistic expectations?

No smokescreen here, I think I like anesthesia a lot for the drugs and phys, but like you, part of its appeal is the lifestyle. I just this year figured out that it's fun to have free time not studying/working.

Sammich81 said:
Jet- you know I read most of your posts, and you do sound pissed off here. What is getting your goat- the misinformation or that you feel like medical students have unrealistic expectations?

I'd say you are on to it.

No smokescreen here, I think I like anesthesia a lot for the drugs and phys, but like you, part of its appeal is the lifestyle. I just this year figured out that it's fun to have free time not studying/working.

Yes this is true but I still enjoy reading anesthesia/medical journals as well. Generally, on my post-call days I get up when ever I open my eyes and read for an hour or more. I find it relaxing. Anesthesia is a job but it also needs to be an interest as well. If you are not interested in it then you will suck at it and everyone will know this.