Salary Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much do you make as partner at most of these places? Just curious

pmichaelmd said:
Greetings,
I am just starting CA3 year and have been on the phone with a number of practices arranging interviews, many of whom are on gaswork. Some of the numbers listed on gaswork are not accurate, just as some of the numbers thrown out by recruiters are not. I have noticed, as has been written by those before on this board, that the numbers listed often include benefits as a "package deal." For instance, group A lists a minimum income of $290-$300k/year and max of $350-$360k/year. I talk to the head of group A and find out that the actual guaranteed salary is $250k the first year, with a $25k retirement contribution. He then proceeds to say that "you can make more money if you choose to take more call." There are 4 anesthesiologists and 3 CRNAs in the practice. If you take more than 5 calls/month, you get paid $1000 per call. If you work harder, you can make what they list on gaswork (if you don't include the retirement contriubtion).

As I am learning, there are really few jobs that are giving away free money. The ones that list greater salaries are, invariably, in remote locations, and tend to be smaller groups that take at least 1:5 call and pay more if you take more call. From talking to groups, the best offers I am seeing, on average, are $260 -$290k/year first year + benefits, 2 years to partner, 5-6 weeks vacation the first year. The average call is about 1:5 - 1:6. I have been told on phone interviews anything from as low as $215k to as high as $400k. That said, the market seems to be GOOD for us right now.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM me with any thoughts.

Cheers,
PMMD :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say as I only have what I've been told by people on the phone thus far. My first live interview has been pushed back until later this month. I would say that the lowest figure I've heard from any of these practices is $340k + benefits. The highest I've heard is >$500k + benefits at a hard-working, MD-only practice. The average tends to be aournd $400k for partners at practices I've spoken with.

I should amend my earlier posting by noting that the new high for a starting guaranteed salary is $400k. Definitely not the norm, but you have to be wiling to move to a location that is less desirable to some, which is fine with me :)

Cheers,
PMMD

Dryacku said:
How much do you make as partner at most of these places? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
pmiacheal what year are you? im just starting ca-3..when should i be staqrting to apply for jobs and is it best to go thru recruiters or call hosp/groups themselves?

APMA,
I'm in the same boat...just started CA3 year. It seems that the timeframe is variable in terms of when it is best to start looking for a job, but the consensus I've heard is that most CA3s have signed a contract by Christmas. Whatever it takes to do that seems to be the norm. I have started early and have found that a good number of people say they are willing to look at '07 grads if they think the person is worth waiting for, or if they are projecting growth/retirements/etc. I'm of the opinion it's never too early...early bird gets the worm, right?

Good luck!

PMMD

apma77 said:
pmiacheal what year are you? im just starting ca-3..when should i be staqrting to apply for jobs and is it best to go thru recruiters or call hosp/groups themselves?

what kinda call schedules are the 300k jobs offering with how many weeks vacation?

apma77 said:
what kinda call schedules are the 300k jobs offering with how many weeks vacation?

Most of these positions are starting with 5-6 weeks of vacation and call is typically 1:5 to 1:6. Some are better with up to 8 weeks vacation to start and 1:9 call. Depends on the group.

I will learn more once I actually get out there and meet them for real.

PMMD

Noyac said:
You can say that again! :laugh:

Already I have had phone interviews that have shown how untrue some of the gasworks adds are. There are many ways to skin a cat and these guys know all of the tricks. $300k might really be $225k with retirement contribution, assumed call hours, etc. to make up the difference. I won't believe the hype until I see it on paper and talk with other new hirees.

For those of you out in practice, how accurate is what I'm seeing out there?

Thanks,
PMMD

pmichaelmd said:
Already I have had phone interviews that have shown how untrue some of the gasworks adds are. There are many ways to skin a cat and these guys know all of the tricks. $300k might really be $225k with retirement contribution, assumed call hours, etc. to make up the difference. I won't believe the hype until I see it on paper and talk with other new hirees.

For those of you out in practice, how accurate is what I'm seeing out there?

Thanks,
PMMD

The numbers are frequently inflated. What they will tell you is "total package"...which includes: salary, insurance costs-malpractice, life, disability, health, etc., retirement plans, billing service, other overhead.

Most new grads are interested in "cash flow"....meaning what your take home is....so just ask...."what's my take home?"

apma77 said:

Im starting ca3, have contract in hand. Some groups are willing to look quite a ways out, I have found that many of the gaswork jobs are "we need someone now" kind of jobs. And yes many of the claims on gaswork are inflated. Im pretty happy with my current offer.

so if gaswork jobs are basically for those emplyers lookin for some1 now then what is the best way to find jobs for july 2007?
recruiters or ???
it seems tedious to call all hospitals nearby and have my CV thrown in the pile with 500 others

apma77 said:
so if gaswork jobs are basically for those emplyers lookin for some1 now then what is the best way to find jobs for july 2007?
recruiters or ???
it seems tedious to call all hospitals nearby and have my CV thrown in the pile with 500 others

Yeah they are looking for someone now but chances are they will still be looking as July '07 gets closer.