Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlscallmepogi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the salary of optometrists are. First off, yes I searched, and I looked online but the salaries range from 40k-150k a year(average). Now that's a big difference.

I know that money shouldn't be everything, and it ISN'T, but it is important, and I do admit that if I went to school for eight years and worked full time for 40k a year, I'd think of something else to do. I do understand that living on the coast is cheaper than living in TX and generally self-employeed optometrists usually make more than salaried, but I was looking for a nice ballpark figure.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just read somewhere that acording to 2001 data, the average earnings for a salaried optometrist, which is what most start out as, is 80-90K. I think the lower figures like 40K are for optometrist that are working part time. I know some OD's will choose to work part-time for life-style reasone like raising a family, but I'm concerned that some recent grads have difficultly finding fulltime employment.

girlscallmepogi said:
I was wondering what the salary of optometrists are. First off, yes I searched, and I looked online but the salaries range from 40k-150k a year(average). Now that's a big difference.

I know that money shouldn't be everything, and it ISN'T, but it is important, and I do admit that if I went to school for eight years and worked full time for 40k a year, I'd think of something else to do. I do understand that living on the coast is cheaper than living in TX and generally self-employeed optometrists usually make more than salaried, but I was looking for a nice ballpark figure.

Thanks.
The new grads that I employ make approx. $40/hr. before taxes.

girlscallmepogi said:

Thanks.

that's just an average. it's usually 80K after a few years