Salary ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeeraDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the avg salary is for EM attendings. I know this is discussed all the time and all over the forum, but I tried calculating it myself
Here's what I got:

$100 per hour x 36 hours per week(3 12 hour shifts) x 52 weeks per year = 187200.

Is that the average?

Members don't see this ad.

MeeraDO said:
I was just wondering what the avg salary is for EM attendings. I know this is discussed all the time and all over the forum, but I tried calculating it myself
Here's what I got:

$100 per hour x 36 hours per week(3 12 hour shifts) x 52 weeks per year = 187200.

Is that the average?

52 weeks, you don't plan to take any vacation? Seriously though from what I've heard the average is more like around 200k, but varies widely from 150-250+. Also I think there was just recently a thread almost just like this, try looking over the last 20 or so threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
$100/hour? That's a little low. Even academic positions often pay $120/hour.

Salaries, or more appropriately called compensation, varies widely. There is the fee-for-service type (you get a percentage of what you bill or what the professional company collects), the hourly pay rate, the salaried employee, etc.

If you decide to work in the private sector, make sure you get a deal where you get bonuses based on productivity, excess profits by the parent company, etc. One of the offers I received paid only $140 per hour, but the average quarterly bonus was $15,000 for the past 5 years (which means it's likely to remain $15,000 per quarter for the next few years at least).

Man.. I cant wait until I can start working for "real" money..

quick ? how likely are we (future ER docs) to see offers like what you described here? are they few and far between or is that on the more common side? thanks in advance

southerndoc said:
$100/hour? That's a little low. Even academic positions often pay $120/hour.

Salaries, or more appropriately called compensation, varies widely. There is the fee-for-service type (you get a percentage of what you bill or what the professional company collects), the hourly pay rate, the salaried employee, etc.

If you decide to work in the private sector, make sure you get a deal where you get bonuses based on productivity, excess profits by the parent company, etc. One of the offers I received paid only $140 per hour, but the average quarterly bonus was $15,000 for the past 5 years (which means it's likely to remain $15,000 per quarter for the next few years at least).

$140/hr x 36 hrs/wk x 50 weeks per year = $252,000 per year (not counting bonuses, etc)

Assuming a married person living in Michigan (used Michigan because it's like that's where I will wind up living), the take home pay is about $171,846.10 That's nothing to sneeze at and a major supplemental reason for my wishing to pursue EM.

If you work 4 days per week (4 12hr shifts) that works out to:
$140 x 48 x 50= $336K per year ($223,632.10 take home)

Now if you think about bonuses on top of that..... :smuggrin:

Just a thought... but I think 50 weeks per yr in EM is a lot. Some of the more experienced can add on but my gut tells me 4-6 weeks of vacation seems more accurate.. Guys in the end you can do all the math you want (and I have done plenty) but the salary surveys say around 215K I would add a little to that and say thats a good estimate.