Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Two Cents...

It seems like over the past few weeks/days a lot of the pre-meds are stressing out about salary issues. Here is my two cents -

If you are really doing what you love, the money won't matter. If you can make 80K, but you love going to work everyday, I would see that as an equal tradeoff. I know that student loan payback and the like is an important issue, but I would venture out on a limb and say - most recently graduated pods, who have put effort into their educations, have the funds available to live a comfortable life. It's all what you put into it.

Salary ranges are ranges for a reason. There are still pods out there who are not pulling in some of the patient numbers and cases that newly trained pods are. My dad is a computer programmer. He makes 6 figures. However, there are people on his team who do the same thing for 70K- 80K. It's all in what you know and incorporate into your practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna lie folks, one of the reasons I chose podiatry is that it allows you to have a very high income plus a quality of life. Podiatry is one of the best paying surgical specialties and the pay increases with the work you put into it.

I didn't want to be one of those MDs in their late 40s still paying off student loans....

Not gonna lie folks, one of the reasons I chose podiatry is that it allows you to have a very high income plus a quality of life. Podiatry is one of the best paying surgical specialties and the pay increases with the work you put into it.

I didn't want to be one of those MDs in their late 40s still paying off student loans....

ha, well, you might be one of those DPMs in their late 40's paying off student loans....

Student loans depends more on the type of loan, consolidation, interest, and payment plan, than what profession you're in. Example: if you have $150k in loans, but have an interest rate at 2-4% for 25 years, yeah, you'd be smart to just pay that off slowly because you can invest what you make annually instead (most ppl ave 5-8% in investment return).