Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koolboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the actual salary for pods? I know residents avg ~43-44k for PGY1, 45-47K PGY2, ~around 50K PGY3.

What happens after that? Do you get hired as a partner and get offered 100K right off the bat? or do you work on staff at a hospital and just make whatever the position pays?

Members don't see this ad.

This question has been asked dozens of times, therefore you may want to perform a search for a good idea of the many answers.

Additionally, here is a link to a "permanent" post on this site that I wrote a while ago addressing this issue.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635198

Members don't see this ad :)
:beat:
Why do people post this? Why don't people do it strictly for the love of what they do rather than how much money will I make in my lifetime? If we all wanted to be rich you would think we would have went into finance and not medicine!
I can't wait to be able to provide free healthcare to homeless patients, or people who can't afford it. Or be able to stitch neighbor kids for free, or be able to offer my services to make a better community in which I live.
I think this question is a bit childish! If you came out of school and made five hundred thousand dollars a year and hated your life, that would suck! But if you came out of school and sure had to work harder then others in health care, but had an awesome life, that is totally worth it!
I don't know of a single Pod. that is hurting when it come to finances. Every one that I know also loves his/her life. But I know plenty of MD/DO who are stuck working for a corporation/hospital and they have to bow down to some MBA and kiss his butt.
I know this is a whole lot of rambling, but if you are going into it for money....do something else!

Why do people post this? Why don't people do it strictly for the love of what they do rather than how much money will I make in my lifetime? If we all wanted to be rich you would think we would have went into finance and not medicine!
I can't wait to be able to provide free healthcare to homeless patients, or people who can't afford it. Or be able to stitch neighbor kids for free, or be able to offer my services to make a better community in which I live.
I think this question is a bit childish! If you came out of school and made five hundred thousand dollars a year and hated your life, that would suck! But if you came out of school and sure had to work harder then others in health care, but had an awesome life, that is totally worth it!
I don't know of a single Pod. that is hurting when it come to finances. Every one that I know also loves his/her life. But I know plenty of MD/DO who are stuck working for a corporation/hospital and they have to bow down to some MBA and kiss his butt.
I know this is a whole lot of rambling, but if you are going into it for money....do something else!

Get off your high horse. A honest and simple question was asked and I didn't see anything from the OP asking to be lectured.

At Western, we have the opportunity to do TONS of community service work and it is VERY rewarding. But the truth is, we are going to come out of school with 200K of debt. There is nothing wrong with somebody asking how that is going to be paid back.

There is nothing wrong about inquiring what you are going to get. Students are always encouraged to research their possible career asirations, especially since This takes up seven years of someones life

There are things called six figure loans for most people, so unless you have parents paying for your schooling and willing to share some of that money, then dont lecture people

I agree with the above two statements. I mean I don't see why it's so wrong for a person to LOVE what they're doing and also had considered the income they could possibly make (with all the time and money spent on getting the education) because at the end of the day you would feel really satisfied and happy for helping people feel better and making a living from it.

What is the actual salary for pods? I know residents avg ~43-44k for PGY1, 45-47K PGY2, ~around 50K PGY3.

What happens after that? Do you get hired as a partner and get offered 100K right off the bat? or do you work on staff at a hospital and just make whatever the position pays?

Generally speaking, podiatrists are doing very well.

Most are starting in the 80-90K + incentives (additional income based on money generated for the practice) so first year out is generally around 100K.

After that, just do a search on salary.com. I think those figures are fairly accurate after several years in practice. After some time building a patient base, I would say most pods are in the 150-200K range.

Another nice thing about podiatry is our relatively low malpractice insurance. No surgical specialty enjoys coverage at this rate.

My father is a physician and encouraged me to go into podiatry because he was so impressed with the DPM's who knows in the hospital. Good field

I would imagine that you are probably 19-22 years old right now and have never worked a day in the real world in your life.

please get off your high horse. the real world does not work like academia does.

Good luck with that