salary!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heman466s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys whos salary do u think will be the highest?

plz rank.

doctors,engineers,lawyers,professors,teachers.

its is not odd.just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys whos salary do u think will be the highest?

plz rank.

doctors,engineers,lawyers,professors,teachers.

its is not odd.just curious.

Really? I thought we all knew teachers are tremendously under paid.
40k avg, remember that's with experience. Doctors make that much while still in training (residency).
For the rest it all depends on your specialty, I mean even doctors and lawyers can earn 50-60k a year after training. In addition, professors and engineers can also make a nice 100+ six figure salary.
So it kind of depends on specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just a young foreigner, not a troll

What doctor is making 50-60k after completing their residency/fellowship training?

Podiatrists in 2009 numbered 9720 and had average annual earnings of $31,500. The low average is $48,770 and the high average is over $120,000

Psychiatrists
In 2009 there were 22,210 psychiatrists working in the United States earning an average salary of $163,660. The low average is $65,500 and the high annual wage is $220,500.

Quoted figures. That's just from one website, I've read plenty about some doctors never even making 70k a year.
I never said it was likely but it's very possible to be earning average 50-60k a year as a doctor.

@digitlnoize

I don't get it, honestly. Can someone define what is a troll post on this forum? I'm not unfamiliar with the word, I just don't understand what specifically qualifies as a troll post.

Podiatrists in 2009 numbered 9720 and had average annual earnings of $31,500. The low average is $48,770 and the high average is over $120,000

Psychiatrists
In 2009 there were 22,210 psychiatrists working in the United States earning an average salary of $163,660. The low average is $65,500 and the high annual wage is $220,500.

Quoted figures. That's just from one website, I've read plenty about some doctors never even making 70k a year.
I never said it was likely but it's very possible to be earning average 50-60k a year as a doctor.

Sure, if a doctor works 3 days a week for 5 hours and that is his only source of income, then when he fills out his tax papers, it will look like "so and so doctor made $60,000 (as an example)" You won't really find this in full time physicians, unless one is just opening up a private practice and doesn't have a good patient base yet. Always have to take those numbers with a grain of salt... and realize that there is something wrong with the outliers.

@digitlnoize

I don't get it, honestly. Can someone define what is a troll post on this forum? I'm not unfamiliar with the word, I just don't understand what specifically qualifies as a troll post.

Troll.

This may not in fact be a troll; I agree it sounds like a younger person for whom English is a second language. But if you peruse the Pre-Med forums at all, your troll meter gets highly sensitized because lots of folks post intentionally inflammatory stuff there.

There is no way a residency trained physician working full time would only make $60k a year. Clearly they weren't working full time. Likewise, I am sure there are a bunch of doctors who made $0 in 2010, obviously because they chose not to work.

I found the most useful (and likely the most accurate based on sole numbers) information regarding doctor salaries in the periodical "Modern Healthcare". They did a survey of 15 different physician recruiting firms and medical assoications and published the average salaries in a number of specialties. The lowest salary reported by a firm for ANY specialty, pediatrics, was $160k. The specialty with the lowest AVERAGE salary amongst all the firms and associations was Family Practice with an overall avg of $187k. Sure there are other factors to take into account when you considering salaries like hours worked, time spent training, amount of student loans to pay back. And I certainly don't think one should go into medicine solely for the money, as there are a number of ways to make more money while working much less hard. However, I don't think we should be propagating false information like physicians make 50 grand a year.

https://www.aamc.org/download/48732/data/compensation.pdf

hmmm...why does it seem that everything i post on this forum turns into a troll???!!BTW leave it to the moderators to decided, unless u are looking for a second job!..what a pathetic med student u will have to be to take this as a job!

hmmm...why does it seem that everything i post on this forum turns into a troll???!!BTW leave it to the moderators to decided, unless u are looking for a second job!..what a pathetic med student u will have to be to take this as a job!

Sorry, but the question, combined with the poor "troll-speak" english (i.e. "plz") makes it come off that way.

I don't know what things are like where you're from, but there's simply no way that any residency trained physician is making that little money working full-time, unless there's something wrong, like they lost their license or something. The salary survey linked above is a great resource and I highly suggest you look over it for a more accurate feel of what the average physician makes.

Your english doesn't seem to be that bad to me. You would go a long way to improving your responses if you use capital letters at the beginning of your sentences, and stop abbreviating things in high school text talk, especially "u" instead of "u" and "plz" instead of "please".

Members don't see this ad :)
Troll.

This may not in fact be a troll; I agree it sounds like a younger person for whom English is a second language. But if you peruse the Pre-Med forums at all, your troll meter gets highly sensitized because lots of folks post intentionally inflammatory stuff there.

S/he is not posting inflammatory material. Just stupid material.

Sorry, but the question, combined with the poor "troll-speak" english (i.e. "plz") makes it come off that way.

I don't know what things are like where you're from, but there's simply no way that any residency trained physician is making that little money working full-time, unless there's something wrong, like they lost their license or something. The salary survey linked above is a great resource and I highly suggest you look over it for a more accurate feel of what the average physician makes.

Your english doesn't seem to be that bad to me. You would go a long way to improving your responses if you use capital letters at the beginning of your sentences, and stop abbreviating things in high school text talk, especially "u" instead of "u" and "plz" instead of "please".

Thank You. I will note that from now on!

OP, besides the advice to spell words out properly...

Please use Google prior to posting questions on the SDN.

Last edited:

post.

Podiatrist don't go to medical school so I dont see the point in including their salaries.

If you want to make some serious cash, take up the javelin. No joking.

I'm wondering if these studies on the average salary factor in hours?

A psychiatrist making $150K a year at 40 hours a week vs. a surgeon making $300K/year working 80 hours, you ask me, the professions are actually making the same amount of money.

Any psychiatrist, if they want to work 80 hours a week could do so. Most choose not to do so.

I'm wondering if these studies on the average salary factor in hours?

A psychiatrist making $150K a year at 40 hours a week vs. a surgeon making $300K/year working 80 hours, you ask me, the professions are actually making the same amount of money.

Any psychiatrist, if they want to work 80 hours a week could do so. Most choose not to do so.

They don't. I've seen exactly one survey that did, from the last 90's, I think...and it's salary numbers were WAY off from what other things have quoted, so I'm not sure how much trust I put in their hour numbers either.

I think it's very important to calculate pay per hour when considering salaries though. I would definitely rather make $150k working 40/wk than 300k working 80. You can't take it with you, as they say.

You can gauge hours/week fairly well from reading around and working though. Psych probably averages in the 40-50 range max. Hospitalisting is around 42/wk (7 12h shifts every other week). Most surgeons push 60-80. Add 10 if you own your own business.

Except that the doctor making $300K is in a higher tax bracket, and therefore pays a higher percentage of his income to the government. ;)

I finish residency in a few weeks and start my new job in a month. My base salary is $174,000 for a 40-hour work week. I can work extra to the tune of $135/hour. So if work an extra 8-hour shift per week I'll make about $225,00/year. Two extra 8-hour shifts per week and that will be bumped up to $275,000 (not bad for 56 hours/week). This is in a major northeastern city, also. Psychiatry is a damn good life.

I finish residency in a few weeks and start my new job in a month. My base salary is $174,000 for a 40-hour work week. I can work extra to the tune of $135/hour. So if work an extra 8-hour shift per week I'll make about $225,00/year. Two extra 8-hour shifts per week and that will be bumped up to $275,000 (not bad for 56 hours/week). This is in a major northeastern city, also. Psychiatry is a damn good life.

Seems like a good gig. What's the patient population? How much time do you get for RVs and new evals?

I'm currently working at 4 different places. 1) State facility on a forensic unit 2) Private Practice 3) Expert Witness for the county 4) a local community mental health clinic as both an attending and a forensic consultant.

I'm currently making an amount of money that would put me in a very high level in comparison to other psychiatrists if you use the above figures. I am, however, working about 50-60 hours a week. The state job doesn't make much money but has great benefits. The other jobs make good money but no benefits. They are also the type of job where I need to be available on the phone during most of the day and the state job allows me to do that, while still doing good quality work. My numbers in terms of patient satisfaction, turn-around, outcomes are excellent. In the state job, when I got all day to see a patient, I can put it off another 30 minutes while I make a few phone calls for the Court of the PP. That patient isn't going anywhere.

I've mentioned this several times. Do not go into forensics simply for the money. While my court job does make good money, I've had plenty of offers that made just as much if not more money that were not forensic-based. Besides, most of the people I've seen in the field that were so much about the money were also ****** willing to get a rapist from facing the music so long as they got paid enough. Wow, I'd love to mention a particular person I know who did this and is now the PD at a namebrand, but I'll keep mum.

Well, I know engineers, teachers, and professors who make less than I do as a resident.

I know a mechanic/truck driver who makes about the average that an attending psychiatrist does. (~180K$)

And I know a farmer and a junk yard owner who each make more than I could ever as a psychiatrist.

It all depends on what you do with your career and how good you are with business sense