Salt bridges and galvanlic/electrlytic cells

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckwild12319

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am confused. I have searched around on this site and others for some help and haven't been able to find a good answer. So I just took a Kaplan Test and one of chemistry questions I got wrong doesn't make sense.

It asks: In electrochemical cells, salt bridges--

A) conduct current in galvanic cells
B) prevent charge buildup in galvanic cells
C) conduct current in electrolytic cells
D) prevent charge buildup in electrolytic cells

So I knew that A and C were wrong. I thought B and D were both right. I just put D which is wrong. Kaplan states that Electrolytic cells don't need salt bridges. From what I found online, I thought they do. Can someone clarifiy this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There's no physical separation between the compartments in an electrolytic cell so there's no need for a bridge. Or rather, it's all a bridge, if you want to be philosophical about it.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no physical separation between the compartments in an electrolytic cell so there's no need for a bridge. Or rather, it's all a bridge, if you want to be philosophical about it.

This is kinda random but do you think it's possible to have a galvanic cell with no physical separation between the compartments?

This is kinda random but do you think it's possible to have a galvanic cell with no physical separation between the compartments?

Yes, that's called a modern battery. Modern batteries don't have physical separation between cathodes and anodes - they only have an electrolyte solution between them.

Reactions: 1 user