Salt bridges and galvanlic/electrlytic cells

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

buckwild12319

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am confused. I have searched around on this site and others for some help and haven't been able to find a good answer. So I just took a Kaplan Test and one of chemistry questions I got wrong doesn't make sense.

It asks: In electrochemical cells, salt bridges--

A) conduct current in galvanic cells
B) prevent charge buildup in galvanic cells
C) conduct current in electrolytic cells
D) prevent charge buildup in electrolytic cells

So I knew that A and C were wrong. I thought B and D were both right. I just put D which is wrong. Kaplan states that Electrolytic cells don't need salt bridges. From what I found online, I thought they do. Can someone clarifiy this? Thanks
 
There's no physical separation between the compartments in an electrolytic cell so there's no need for a bridge. Or rather, it's all a bridge, if you want to be philosophical about it.
 
There's no physical separation between the compartments in an electrolytic cell so there's no need for a bridge. Or rather, it's all a bridge, if you want to be philosophical about it.

This is kinda random but do you think it's possible to have a galvanic cell with no physical separation between the compartments?