Same Poster at Different Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it bad to present the same poster at different conferences?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Anonymous854

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently found out that it may look bad to present the same poster at different conferences. I did not know this throughout med school and have done this with a number of posters. When submitting, there were agreements stating that the abstract must not have been published such as in a journal, but I do not recall seeing agreement statements that the abstract must not have been presented elsewhere, but I am not sure if I am just not remembering or if I overlooked it. Some conferences were minor such as research symposiums at my school or the local hospital while some conferences were more large-scale ones. So my questions are:
1) Is it true that this is bad to present the same poster at different conferences?
2) Should I enter each poster presentation as a separate entity on my CV and ERAS? If not, should I list the poster once then list all the conferences it was presented at? Or should I list the poster once and list only the most prestigious conference?

It would suck to only list the most prestigious conference considering all the time and money spent participating in the other conferences that would go unlisted.

Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's not ideal but certainly done in a couple ways. First, going from a local/regional/maybe state level conference to a large national conference may be acceptable (indeed, some regional conferences offer a trip to a large multi-national gathering as a reward for best presentation).

Second, I wanted to do this so I took a case report, did a little more digging and talking with the institution and made it into a case series which is essentially an entirely new poster. And it shows initiative.

I hope this is helpful!

Every time you submit an abstract for presentation (or a grant proposal, or a manuscript for publication), you have to agree that you haven't presented (or published) this anywhere else.

So play the game the way the big boys do. Change a sentence or two in your introduction and summary. Add a new figure. Rearrange the order of the poster.

Voila. Same data, but new presentation.

Reactions: 2 users
often it is acceptable if the poster was presented at a regional meeting, but many of the national conferences will say that the poster cannot have been presented to another national meeting when you are submitting the abstract.