Sample DAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff's AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
What do you mean by retain much info in 4-5 hrs? because maybe I am not studying correctly and thats what I am scare of...

I meant following this 8-week schedule with only 4-5 hrs per day. In my opinion, for many people, 4-5 hrs per day isn't enough for this particular schedule.

Well that's where I am confused because I am following that schedule and probably when I start doing the practice problems it would take longer but right now just reading and taking notes and reviewing only takes like 5 hrs so can you please let me know how did u distributed the first 4 weeks to 10-12 hrs?
thank you

Well that's where I am confused because I am following that schedule and probably when I start doing the practice problems it would take longer but right now just reading and taking notes and reviewing only takes like 5 hrs so can you please let me know how did u distributed the first 4 weeks to 10-12 hrs?
thank you

Alright, I am assuming you are doing the KBB version (cause the Chads is next to impossible without AT LEAST 8 hrs a day ~ the videos take too long to watch and take notes on)

You know how you have 1 day you read the chapters pretty fast (like a nobel). So you have a KBB bio chapter, Cliffs chapter, KBB GC chapter, and KBB Orgo chapter. Thats 4 chapters total, sure it will take you a good 4-5 hrs to get through them (maybe even less if your a fast reader).

However, on the next day, your supposed to go through the same chapters at a MUCH slower pace (obviously, since your highlighting & taking notes). If it took you, say, 3-5 hours on the previous (fast) day, its gotta take you at least 6-10 hours on the slower days. And by the way, I am making a pretty big assumption here that you are a very fast reader.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Chads chemistry videos (Optional)

I wanted to save money by doing the KBB genchem and ochem version, but I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra 30 bucks to use Chad's videos. Chad is SO GOOD, and very clear. It is worth it.

All in all, I thought this program was pretty good. Reading everything twice (especially AP Bio and KBB bio) was a little bit of overkill for me, but it worked.

Thanks for this schedule Dentalworks. I used your DAT Destroyer breakdown of problems, and I finish the whole thing in like 3 days! So happy. Super helpful, thanks again.

hmm.... I didn't particularly like destroyer's bio section. I always forget to mention this, but when I talk/praise about destroyer, I am mostly referring to its 2 chemistry sections. Its bio is "okay" for random facts, but certainly don't put all your stock into it.

Well, is there anything else you suggest for Bio problems then? That is the area I am most concerned about, if it is as random as everyone suggest it is.

Well, is there anything else you suggest for Bio problems then? That is the area I am most concerned about, if it is as random as everyone suggest it is.

Well... thats just my take on Destroyer Bio, other members don't share the same opinion. Actually some think the destroyer bio is pretty helpful so definitely, if you want more practice problems, destroyer bio is one of the only resources available with 400 problems.

Another resource for practice is Cliff's AP Bio, those end-of-chapter questions are pretty good. Very thought provocative.

Last edited:
as far as doing 30 questions from each section per a day should you do them all at once then review them or do a section review it then take a lil break during the first time you go through it

as far as doing 30 questions from each section per a day should you do them all at once then review them or do a section review it then take a lil break during the first time you go through it

it doesn't matter.... whatever works for you

I like to do 1 problem, then look at the solution and try to make sense.... then move on to another problem. Everyone has their method.

dentalWorks,

I used your study schedule for the past two months and it helped me get:

Bio:21
GC:25
OC:23
RC:19
QR:20
TS:23
AA:22
PAT:21

Thank you so much for this schedule as it helped me so much. I would have never known where to start studying. I have a 4.0 sgpa and 3.95 non-science as well.

dental works

my test is on the 16th of augest im like halfway through destroyer for the first time. What should i do till the test.

thankss

Members don't see this ad :)
dental works

my test is on the 16th of augest im like halfway through destroyer for the first time. What should i do till the test.

thankss

aug 16th huh? thats my birthday AND the day I start dental school lol

Anyways, I dunno what you've been following so far, but since you have about a month a head of you, continue hitting up destroyer (which Im sure you will). Covering destroyer 2-3 times is very ideal (especially for the 2 chems).

Do yourself a favor, since you have a month, try to cover as much from MATH destroyer as you can. You don't wanna be one of those guys with an amazing DAT but a horrendous QR.

I would encourage you to do topscore, 2007 & 2009 sample DATs.... not necessarily to test your knowledge, but to build your testing-stamina. A 4.5 hour test requires mental stamina.

haha nice. my bday is like two days after lol. Anyway for the past month ive been reading cliffsap bio pretty much went through that once. Read kaplans big book in bio (their chem section is so confusing) and i went through all of the chads vids including math. I did math destroyer im starting test 6 today. I think i spent way too much time on qr so far compared to other kids lol. I did two cdp after i do destroyer for like 4 hrs giving myself 90 min. (i got 18 then a 20 on the second) i still have 3 more kaplan practice tests online and kaplans online classes since i wasnt ready to take it on july 16th lol

thanks again dentalworks

dentalworks!

this schedule seems to rock!! im going to alter the schedule a bit as i am doing 3 chapters a day in the KBB. im hoping to finish biology, GC, and Orgo in the KBB in 3 weeks. the other 3 weeks will be dedicated to doing DAT Destroyer. I am planning to take the DATs by the end of August so I have a little more than 6 weeks. im done with General Chemistry and have only Biology and Organic Chemistry of the KBB to go over.

haha nice. my bday is like two days after lol. Anyway for the past month ive been reading cliffsap bio pretty much went through that once. Read kaplans big book in bio (their chem section is so confusing) and i went through all of the chads vids including math. I did math destroyer im starting test 6 today. I think i spent way too much time on qr so far compared to other kids lol. I did two cdp after i do destroyer for like 4 hrs giving myself 90 min. (i got 18 then a 20 on the second) i still have 3 more kaplan practice tests online and kaplans online classes since i wasnt ready to take it on july 16th lol

thanks again dentalworks

you are absolutely correct. i just am about finished with the GC in the KBB and i agree it is confusing. they use synonymous terms too often which causes it to be confusing. i feel your pain. i think the best practice will come from DAT destroyer where you'll be able to do a problem and see how its actually solved. The KBB didnt do a good job breaking down answers for us. Biology part seems good though

thanks for the great sched!!
what are u referring to in week 3 for "keyhole practicing?" are those the tests? or the 5 question jumpstarts? because in my KBB, there isnt anything for PAT, just the online stuff.

thanks for the great sched!!
what are u referring to in week 3 for "keyhole practicing?" are those the tests? or the 5 question jumpstarts? because in my KBB, there isnt anything for PAT, just the online stuff.

doesn't KBB have 6-mini chapters on PAT? and one of the chapters is keyholes.... basically do that chapter, and If I remember correctly, its comprised of some practice problems.... I haven't looked at kbb in few years.

I just noticed, sorry if someone asked about it before, but you didn't incorporate the math section of Dat destroyer in the schedule?

I just noticed, sorry if someone asked about it before, but you didn't incorporate the math section of Dat destroyer in the schedule?

I did not... I personally didn't like that section. I think MATH destroyer is a much better practice for math

ok I am staring to do the destroyer, and I am on my second day and I am not doing that well I am getting like half of the questions wrong every day.. I wanted to know if at the beggining everyone was like that or if its just me and I need to study more?

I did not... I personally didn't like that section. I think MATH destroyer is a much better practice for math
Thanks DWs! I'll try to do the Dat destroyer qr problems if I have time. I did the first test of Math destroyer... And got around 20/40 right, and it took me around 1.5 hrs... Lol I thought I was okay with math, but apparently I suck. Am i starting out okay you think?

ok I am staring to do the destroyer, and I am on my second day and I am not doing that well I am getting like half of the questions wrong every day.. I wanted to know if at the beggining everyone was like that or if its just me and I need to study more?
Hey I'm right there with you... Getting around half right.. I know people have said they did horrible the first time around

yep... thats very typical with destroyer GC and orgo.
I remember my first pass, I was getting about 45% correct on GC, and about 55% on orgo. Do NOT be demoralized by this.

The 2nd time around tho, I was hitting 80%+ correct on both sections.

yep... thats very typical with destroyer GC and orgo.
I remember my first pass, I was getting about 45% correct on GC, and about 55% on orgo. Do NOT be demoralized by this.

The 2nd time around tho, I was hitting 80%+ correct on both sections.

Ok! great! thank u so much! :)

I followed this schedule pretty much as listed, studying for about 2 months total. Since I had more time, I was able to quickly read over the things I highlighted in the Kaplan blue book as a refresher in the last week of my studying and I was also able to take more Crack the DAT PAT tests (10 total). I got a 23 on my DAT and I have to say that following this schedule will definitely pay off if you have the motivation to make yourself do the self study.

Do we have to use those specific versions or will the newer editions suffice just as well?

I don't believe there is going to be much (if any) difference between the versions posted vs whats out there now. Sure maybe the 2 destroyer books will have more problems than the older 2010 models, but overall, the difference between 2010 and 2011 destroyers isn't enough to cough up the $220 for latest editions if you can get the older 2010 for alot less.

By the way, just to be clear, I can either go through the schedule by choosing week 1 using KBB OR Chad's videos, right?

By the way, just to be clear, I can either go through the schedule by choosing week 1 using KBB OR Chad's videos, right?
yeh.... the first 4 weeks are like that... you either do KBB or chad's version (don't do both, its not necessary)

Dentalworks, thank you for the amazing study schedule, I used it this summer and it helped me achieve scores of 20AA/21TS/23PAT. I did a modified version of this. Basically I did this over the course of my summer according to my own schedule. (I took a 6 week class and worked an internship at a dental office throughout)

This schedule is spot on, specifically the materials. Don't be intimidated by how much it covers, you don't have to follow it verbatim. Use it as a guide and you will do great! Before you know it, you will know where your weaknesses are, and you can get all your bases covered. Just be sure to complete full length practice tests to your regimen as your exam approaches. Good luck studying and don't give up!

hey dental works did you recently just change the program? As i am looking through the printed version from about 2 weeks and it looks different... i believe you also added chad's QR videos

hey dental works did you recently just change the program? As i am looking through the printed version from about 2 weeks and it looks different... i believe you also added chad's QR videos

yeh I updated the chads version to include the math vids.... oh shoot I forgot to update the downloadable version from post #35 oops....

:cool: yeah I wanted to tell you that! :)

I actually am glad I checked back... Because I purchased Chad's videos for QR like 3 hours before I rechecked the program on here!

Is it possible to condense this guide into 4 weeks? My winter vacation this year is only 4 weeks and I would like to finish my DAT in that time.

Good work here Nights Watchmen....a fellow dental student here. I too had a 6 week self inflected regiment which I will post in a few weeks when I get a chance. In general, there are 6 subjects tested on the DAT.....1 subject / week give or take!

the cliff's ap bio 3rd edition seems pretty old? still a legit source? sorry i'm new to all this dat stuff

the cliff's ap bio 3rd edition seems pretty old? still a legit source? sorry i'm new to all this dat stuff

It probably doesn't matter what version you use, basic biology literature has changed much in the past 50 years (well, exception is genetics and biochemistry ~ but thats too high level for DAT anyways).

I say 3rd edition is just fine

It probably doesn't matter what version you use, basic biology literature has changed much in the past 50 years (well, exception is genetics and biochemistry ~ but thats too high level for DAT anyways).

I say 3rd edition is just fine
ah, very good point. thanks!

I'm going to buy Chad's videos but I'm not sure if these are the right items: c o u r s e s a v e r.com/videos.php?pagename=DAT :confused:

2/ As for the software Crack DAT PAT, I've heard it only works on the computer that you initially download the software onto. It doesn't work on other computers. Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to buy Chad's videos but I'm not sure if these are the right items: c o u r s e s a v e r.com/videos.php?pagename=DAT :confused:

2/ As for the software Crack DAT PAT, I've heard it only works on the computer that you initially download the software onto. It doesn't work on other computers. Is that right?

Yes to 1)
and... and I think yes to 2) as well.

I just came across this thread the day after taking my test. This study plan is quite comprehensive! I studied primarily with the KBB 2009-2010 ed. and reviewed/took the practice exams from Baron's as well. In retrospect, I wish I would have broadened my study materials as per your regimen. I managed a 20 ts and 20 a.a but I believe that a few sections of kbb--most notably, biology--was certainly inadequate. I'm sure that's why you incorporated Cliff's into the mix. I felt KBB was decent for chem and great for Ochem however, especially if you take the time to dust off the old textbooks to supplement the sections you aren't 100% comfortable with.

Last edited:
Yes to 1)
and... and I think yes to 2) as well.

DentalWork,
I really thankful for your effort in making this. I appreciate every single letters that you type to help us :)

I not yet taking organic chem, but i figure if i read books, do hw, ask professors, and do practice problems... I guess everything would be possible if you determine. I thinking take the test next year... So i going to study hard now... So will there be update on this study guide? (I am senior now, so maximum I would do is stay one more year....)

DentalWork,
I really thankful for your effort in making this. I appreciate every single letters that you type to help us :)

I not yet taking organic chem, but i figure if i read books, do hw, ask professors, and do practice problems... I guess everything would be possible if you determine. I thinking take the test next year... So i going to study hard now... So will there be update on this study guide? (I am senior now, so maximum I would do is stay one more year....)

I doubt it.... at least not anytime soon.

Thanks for taking the time to make this! I'm definitely going to use it as a backbone to my study plan. Possibly adding another week for some Achiever practice tests and a few sprinkled throughout the last couple weeks. I can't say thanks enough. Now all I need is a plan for dealing with all the stresses of trying to do well in school, trying to improve my gpa, prepare for the DAT, staying active in my EC's, the application process, and shadowing/volunteering!

can any one plz tell me whch books i should study for ndeb for canada,it wud be g8 help in saving money and time

any chance for an update on problem numbers with the 2011 destroyer?

also, are chads videos free or able to purchase somewhere?

on here it says take the quiz after each section, but on the downloaded guide it says take mini tests after the chapters are finished? Which one do we do?

on here it says take the quiz after each section, but on the downloaded guide it says take mini tests after the chapters are finished? Which one do we do?

yeh I never updated the downloadable version (oops forgot)

Just do the one it says here