Sample DAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a lot of PMs about this "6-week program"...

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

This is based on the following resources:
-Kaplan blue book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
-Cliff's AP biology (3rd edition from 2007)
-DAT destroyer (2010 version)
-MATH destroyer (2010 version ~ I believe it has 11 tests)
-Crack DAT PAT software (the 10 test version)
-Chads chemistry and math videos (Optional)

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
Is this guide outdated? I plan on using everything mentioned besides KBB since i keep reading its outdated

This guide is still a fantastic way to get yourself integrated into the study materials. I started with this guide in January and after the first few weeks I was able to assess how/where I would modify my studying. I just took the DAT on 5/21 and scored a 25AA.

Here is a link which describes how I approached this test: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/useful-dat-tools-25aa-breakdown.1138441/

Also, both of these write ups were made recently by people who also did exceptionally well on the DAT:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/feralis-dat-breakdown.1136221/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-detailed-dat-breakdown.1138218/

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi is there a better way to learn the basics of the PAT before I start using crack dat pat or dat boot camp? I have purchased both of the programs but haven't started it due to not being on week 4, just yet. I do not have the KBB. If thats the only resource with the basics of the PAT then I guess I have to buy it. If there are alternatives to understanding the basics I'd really appreciate any help regarding the matter.

Youtube is fantastic at getting explanations and helpful tips per PAT section. Ari has some great PAT videos on his site and subsequently on YouTube. Ultimately though, you don't really need to ease into PAT. Just dive in with the generators on bootcamp and start getting the feel for the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a keyhole generator somewhere? Or is the best place to practice keyholes still the 150 bootcamp questions offered in their 10 tests? I was hoping to take the bootcamp tests as a bundle, so I'm looking for somewhere to practice keyholes alone. Unless taking bootcamp tests 1 section/problem at a time is recommended?

Unfortunately, keyholes is the only PAT section which Bootcamp doesn't have a generator for. A bit of a bummer, but the practice tests will definitely prepare you for the real deal. The 150 questions for keyholes in the 10 tests are more than enough to properly prepare you for the real DAT though.

Unfortunately, keyholes is the only PAT section which Bootcamp doesn't have a generator for. A bit of a bummer, but the practice tests will definitely prepare you for the real deal. The 150 questions for keyholes in the 10 tests are more than enough to properly prepare you for the real DAT though.
Do you recommend treating bootcamp pat tests as practice problems or timed tests?

A lot of people use bootcamp for practice problems. I used DAT Destroyer and Chad's quizzes for practice and utilized bootcamp as a means of practicing my timing and really think it contributed to my success.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of people use bootcamp for practice problems. I used DAT Destroyer and Chad's quizzes for practice and utilized bootcamp as a means of practicing my timing and really think it contributed to my success.
thanks for the advice!

Ok so according to the guide, I should be studying around 8-12 hours a day? Now Ive been averaging around 5-7 hours thus far. Am I missing something? Currently, I am on week 1 day 5 where I am skimming the chapter, watching videos/taking the associated quizzes. I am following the Chad's version of the guide, so if I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so according to the guide, I should be studying around 8-12 hours a day? Now Ive been averaging around 5-7 hours thus far. Am I missing something? Currently, I am on week 1 day 5 where I am skimming the chapter, watching videos/taking the associated quizzes. I am following the Chad's version of the guide, so if I am doing something wrong please let me know.

I did not study 8+ hours a day... I went maybe 6 or 7 hrs at the library every day. Going over that to me felt ridiculous. I felt the same way around week 1-3... didn't feel like I was "learning" anything until I started taking practice tests. I would recommend signing up for something like DAT BC or gold standard.

A few things I've been asked about this:
"why do you wait 3-4 days between PAT tests?"
Well, here is a thread I posted about PAT, I tried to follow the same method. Again, if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. Here is the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=675995

As far as the actual study guide goes. Its 8 weeks, 4 spent on reviewing and 4 spent on applying everything you reviewed to problem solving. Like Crew09 suggested to me, everyone comes from different backgrounds so the initial 4 weeks can be modified to however way you see fit. For example if you come from a very strong biology background, then your not going to need to read each of the biology chapters from both Cliff's AP and KBB 2x times, 1 time would be enough. Sometimes you might have weakness in all 3 areas (biology, chemistry, and orgo) but there are certain chapters that you feel your very strong with, so you don't have to do the 2-time reading strategies for those chapters... you see what I mean?

Also, some folks have suggested some nice additional comments to how its possible to modify the 8-week schedule, here they are:

21omrgm.jpg

9qlqhv.jpg

9lk952.jpg

2d7aomv.jpg

If anyone has any additional suggestions to what things that could be modified, or things you've tried and worked out before, please come back here and post it. Also for those of you who use other products like Crack DAT MATH & Science, Chad's videos, and whatnot, lets hear how you could incorporate them into this study guide.... I couldn't include those other resources cause I never used them.
I couldn't find any RC practice in the schedule

Hey Guys! I am selling 2015 DAT destroyer and Math destroyer on eBay if anyone is interested. PM me. Good luck!

hows the guide for you guys now? I'm going to order books soon and begin studying and I have been looking for a easy to follow study plan for the next few months as I have the time.

hows the guide for you guys now? I'm going to order books soon and begin studying and I have been looking for a easy to follow study plan for the next few months as I have the time.
This guide is good to follow. Just need to change a few things depending on what your schedule is like and which books you wanna use

This guide is good to follow. Just need to change a few things depending on what your schedule is like and which books you wanna use

I plan on going off this schedule then, as for books and material, I'm settled on DAT Destoryer, Chad videos, & Cliff's AP Biology notes 3rd edition.

I'm looking into getting the Kaplan books also & just mimic a study guide/plan because I can study the best when given a schedule; I suck at free lance studying or figuring out how to study on my own with the amount of material on this test.

Is anyone selling the aforementioned books/study materials? Is there a cheaper website/source to buy these things besides Amazon?
Thanks.

Is anyone selling the aforementioned books/study materials? Is there a cheaper website/source to buy these things besides Amazon?
Thanks.
Hey,
I have my DAT destroyer for sale for $50, the math destroyer for $50, I have sterling biology and chemistry for $45 together, I also have biology and chemistry flash cards for just $20 for sale, let me know if you are interested

Hey,
I have my DAT destroyer for sale for $50, the math destroyer for $50, I have sterling biology and chemistry for $45 together, I also have biology and chemistry flash cards for just $20 for sale, let me know if you are interested
I also have Kaplan books for $25

Hello! I apologize if this has already been asked lol, but has anyone gone off of this schedule with the newest edition of the books? My DAT is scheduled for July 7th and I'm stressing about getting the right books. This seems like an amazing study schedule, but since it's pretty dated I'm not sure how to get the materials for it

Since I wasn't sure what everyone's science background is, I stretched it out to 8 weeks.... However you can EASILY convert the first 4 weeks into just 2 if you have a strong science background.

I am going to post the entire study guide here on this thread, I'll post it over 8 posts (1 post per each week).... There are 2 versions, both are very good and will get the job done if you put in your time. Start with 1 version and STICK to it, don't flip flop around, either do the KBB or the CHADS, and its not necessary to do both once your done with one.

Word of advice, the first 4 weeks are pretty harsh. Your looking at 8-12 hours of studying a day.... Again you DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS, but its there for you if you need it

I came up with this guide from reading the MCAT 10-week home-study program created by exam krackers, I liked it a lot and wanted to implement it for the DAT on a 8-week program

Please understand that this is JUST A GUIDELINE, no one has to follow it 100%, there is no guarantee that you will score a high or low score by following it. Its mostly designed for those new folks around SDN who don't really know how or where to start studying for the DAT. This is my strategy, and I believe it will serve many.

Is the DAT destroyer (2010 version) come with the DAT MATH destroyer or is that something separate?

Have started making a schedule for taking the DAT this summer, but went onto Chad's and noticed his Orgo vids are down due to a dispute with CourseSaver.... I don't want to plan on Chad's to come back because who knows, so does anyone have a comparable orgo source (for the non KBB version of this study plan)?

Have started making a schedule for taking the DAT this summer, but went onto Chad's and noticed his Orgo vids are down due to a dispute with CourseSaver.... I don't want to plan on Chad's to come back because who knows, so does anyone have a comparable orgo source (for the non KBB version of this study plan)?

You could go through Coursesaver and get his older videos, they are still pretty good despite being made in 2012.

Hello,
I will be taking my DATs in august, the 18th to be exact. applying this cycle as well. Unfortunately will be taking biochemistry summer session I (5/30-7/20) as this is recommended by majority of schools I think I will be applying to. What do you think an appropriate schedule would be? And for someone, like me, who does not have a lot of money - do I invest $3k into Orgoman in staten island (a prep class)>

-Thanks!

You could go through Coursesaver and get his older videos, they are still pretty good despite being made in 2012.
OMG I didn't know Chad had his own website with newer videos?! I was using coursesaver up to now... Are the newer videos/materials more beneficial or should I just finish up my coursesaver material?

dentalWorks, Thank you for condensing Ari's awesome 10-week-plan from DAT bootcamp into an 8-week-plan. I am following this now and have been contemplating condensing it myself but have been struggling to do so without getting overwhelming! I am taking my DAT and applying to dental school this summer. I am so happy I chose this path rather than the Kaplan course friends have recommended, for it seems to cover everything in many ways and really cement the importance of each subject. I have purchased Cliff's AP biology, DAT and MATH destroyer, Chads videos (coursesaver), and DAT bootcamp for under $500 rather than spending $1300 on the Kaplan course. I did want to ask, do you think Crack DAT PAT is necessary if I have DAT bootcamp? Also, I was curious if you had any input on taking the DAT toward the end of July/beginning of August to better prepare myself. I know early application opens June, and it won't be complete without my score, but want to make sure I do well on the DAT, have a stellar application, and am able to get interviews with my dream schools! I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have. Thank you again!

Hello,
I will be taking my DATs in august, the 18th to be exact. applying this cycle as well. Unfortunately will be taking biochemistry summer session I (5/30-7/20) as this is recommended by majority of schools I think I will be applying to. What do you think an appropriate schedule would be? And for someone, like me, who does not have a lot of money - do I invest $3k into Orgoman in staten island (a prep class)>

-Thanks!

I am taking mine in August as well and am starting this plan expect the original 10 week one Ari on DAT bootcamp provides (included below). I ordered all the materials for under $500 because I have limited funds as well.. Not a dentist yet, not sure how they expect us to all have money to pay for everything prior to the hundreds of thousands they charge us haha. I have read many threads about the material to use and many people say the course they enrolled in was a waste, slow paced, or they learned most of it better alone anyway. It all depends on how motivated you are! I am struggling to stay inside for all of Alaska's beautiful summer while my puppy is ready to go adventure, but I am keeping myself accountable with the schedule Ari made. I have not heard about this specific prep class so if I were you I would search the Orgoman prep class (or any similar ones people may have taken) on this forum to see if anyone has taken it and has a first hand experience! Good luck!

Attachments

• Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf
    287 KB · Views: 117
Can someone please give me advice on how to tackle the Gen Chem, Orgo and QR section of Chad's videos?

I am 1/2 way through Gen Chem however, when I take the quiz I do very poorly and I feel as if I don't fully understand the concept or it hasn't been covered in his videos. When I try to re-answer each question that I missed on the quiz per section, I find that it's taking me way longer than expected to understand each problem and try to learn it by watching Youtube etc that now I am a month behind.

Should I keep moving forward after a couple attempts and go back to it after I cover all of the material or try to master each section as I am going through it? I feel really overwhelmed right now and hopeless. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Also, note taking tips for his videos?

Thanks!

Can someone please give me advice on how to tackle the Gen Chem, Orgo and QR section of Chad's videos?

I am 1/2 way through Gen Chem however, when I take the quiz I do very poorly and I feel as if I don't fully understand the concept or it hasn't been covered in his videos. When I try to re-answer each question that I missed on the quiz per section, I find that it's taking me way longer than expected to understand each problem and try to learn it by watching Youtube etc that now I am a month behind.

Should I keep moving forward after a couple attempts and go back to it after I cover all of the material or try to master each section as I am going through it? I feel really overwhelmed right now and hopeless. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Also, note taking tips for his videos?

Thanks!

I finished the Gen Chem but felt the same way! Unfortunately I am crunched on time and have to stick to the schedule religiously or I won't be done in time, but I struggled through the quizzes as well and then kept chugging along. Obviously I need to master ever section on the dat but am really feeling overwhelmed because I feel like I need more than just Ari's schedule to do well. My tactics are not solidifying the information I need to learn/remember. Would definitely appreciate any advice on this section as well as the others. Right now Ochem and Bio are swamping me and I want to make sure if I put all the time and effort I have in, I am studying the right material the right way! Thank you to any replies and good luck @julptran.

Figured I'd throw my sample schedule in here too. I divided it into quarters instead of weeks, so it can be applied to any sort of timeline. I'm also on a budget and using resources that fit it, so for those who may be in the same boat, here you go: DAT Study Schedule

This study schedule worked extremely well for me (score 22). I followed the schedule very closely. I made a few adjustments due to using newer editions of some of the books and took a few extra full-length practice tests right near the end, but was a lifesaver in helping me. Thank you.

When does it expire?
I am willing to send you $100 usd via Paypal if you can agree to that we have a deal
I got it on April 30 and its a 90 day subscription, but you can always extend the subscription for a discounted price. How about we do 130 and call it a day.

Is this study timeline outdated or all the materials and timeline still relevant? Thanks!

- Dent007IST

- Kaplan Blue Book (KBB) (2009-2010 version)
- Cliuff's AP Biology (3rd edition from 2007)