Sample personal statements: caveat emptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Someone mentioned example personal statements in another thread, so I did a quick search and found several at accepted.com. Here are the opening lines:

1. The AIDS hospice reeked from disease and neglect.
2. Pounding, rushing footsteps started to close in on me.
3. "Call 911!" I shouted to my friend as I sprinted down the street.
4. On the first day that I walked into the Church Nursing Home, I was unsure of what to expect.
5. I heard the familiar sound of the back door closing gently.
6. Modest one-room houses lay scattered across the desert landscape.
7. Crayfish tails in tarragon butter, galantine of rabbit with foie gras, oxtail in red wine, and apple tartelettes.

Only one fails to make my skin crawl a bit. Any guesses?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Forget crawling skin...#7 makes me hungry. :D

Reactions: 5 users
Someone mentioned example personal statements in another thread, so I did a quick search and found several at accepted.com. Here are the opening lines:

4. On the first day that I walked into the Church Nursing Home, I was unsure of what to expect.
7. Crayfish tails in tarragon butter, galantine of rabbit with foie gras, oxtail in red wine, and apple tartelettes.

#4 is the one most to your liking. Yes?

Btw, private college admissions counselors are teaching their clients to start with an attention-grabbing personal anecdote. Apparently, that’s not to your liking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
#4 is the one most to your liking. Yes?

Btw, private college admissions counselors are teaching their clients to start with an attention-grabbing personal anecdote. Apparently, that’s not to your liking.

As someone who used to write for a living, I will say that hooks are extremely important in writing. The problem is that most people writing personal statements don't really understand how to write a hook, and most of them are terrible writers anyway. So the "hooks" end up being cliche and poorly written.

I feel like this is more OK. If I have to sit and read piles of crap that high schoolers wrote, it might as well try to be a little fun or show some personality

Asking a college grad to reflect on why they're pursuing medicine better not get a response like that though

As someone who used to write for a living, I will say that hooks are extremely important in writing. The problem is that most people writing personal statements don't really understand how to write a hook, and most of them are terrible writers anyway. So the "hooks" end up being cliche and poorly written.

How would you rewrite example #1 to make it both appropriate and effective?

I feel like this is more OK. If I have to sit and read piles of crap that high schoolers wrote, it might as well try to be a little fun or show some personality

Asking a college grad to reflect on why they're pursuing medicine better not get a response like that though

Have you worked in undergrad or Med school admissions’ offices?

Btw, private college admissions counselors are teaching their clients to start with an attention-grabbing personal anecdote.
That may work for college, it has nothing to do with an application to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d guess #1. It made me cringe just because this person used disease and neglect in the same sentence, specifically mentioning AIDS.

Have you worked in undergrad or Med school admissions’ offices?
Nope, just read my share of personal statements for each and for college if you try to get creative that's pretty typical, for med everyone tones it down. Or at least most. I did read one premed's statement recently and it was almost like reading satire it was so bad

I’d guess #1. It made me cringe just because this person used disease and neglect in the same sentence, specifically mentioning AIDS.

OP wants you to pick the one that’s NOT cringeworthy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

65500700022501311cf5001dd8b71c47

Lmao. Suppose somebody asked you, “why do you want to go to medical school?” And then you opened up with one of those cheesy stories. They might be excellent stories that really did have an impact on you, but I certainly wouldn’t lead with them

Reactions: 3 users
Lmao. Suppose somebody asked you, “why do you want to go to medical school?” And then you opened up with one of those cheesy stories. They might be excellent stories that really did have an impact on you, but I certainly wouldn’t lead with them

There is something to this approach.

Admissions dean: "So Johnny, tell me a little about yourself. How did you come to the decision to pursue medicine?"

Johnny: "Well, the AIDS hospice reeked from disease and neglect...."

Reactions: 10 users
Nope, just read my share of personal statements for each and for college if you try to get creative that's pretty typical, for med everyone tones it down. Or at least most. I did read one premed's statement recently and it was almost like reading satire it was so bad
I'll bet I read it too.

Honestly my PS started very much like 1/2/6...kinda flashy sentence about a job I had, apparently unrelated to medicine. And like, multiple interviewers brought up the experience I'd opened with and were very intrigued by it, it was a great talking point and I think it helped me stand out compared to other interviewees. I got in to a handful of schools so far so the corny/flashy/over the top "hook" opener--it can't be a total app killer right?

Honestly my PS started very much like 1/2/6...kinda flashy sentence about a job I had, apparently unrelated to medicine. And like, multiple interviewers brought up the experience I'd opened with and were very intrigued by it, it was a great talking point and I think it helped me stand out compared to other interviewees. I got in to a handful of schools so far so the corny/flashy/over the top "hook" opener--it can't be a total app killer right?

There is always the possibility that the schools interviewed and admitted you despite the essay and not because of it. Don't confuse association with causation.

Reactions: 8 users
looking back, I think my opening may have been a little too flashy... something along the lines of "I beat Johnny Stevens in the Connect 4 world championship finals in Tokyo with the Bulgarian Flank"... ended up working out so sometimes you just gotta shoot your shot lol

looking back, I think my opening may have been a little too flashy... something along the lines of "I beat Johnny Stevens in the Connect 4 world championship finals in Tokyo with the Bulgarian Flank"... ended up working out so sometimes you just gotta shoot your shot lol

No, that's fine, because it actually tells me something worth knowing.

Would a hook based on teaching in developing country be appropriate? I don't think it's too melodramatic. It basically begins with a wildly misinformed question on HIV/AIDS from one of my students and continues into how important education is for empowering people to love better lives. Then I continue to elaborate on why medicine and not teaching. Does that sound reasonable?

Would a hook based on teaching in developing country be appropriate? I don't think it's too melodramatic. It basically begins with a wildly misinformed question on HIV/AIDS from one of my students and continues into how important education is for empowering people to love better lives. Then I continue to elaborate on why medicine and not teaching. Does that sound reasonable?

In this context a hook (or narrative hook, more properly) is usually the opening sentence.

So hit us with your opening sentence and we’ll tell you.

Lol, the first one made me laugh out loud. Most of the others didn't make me cringe. Just clichéd writing.

My first sentence is: "My interest in medical science began as a young child."

Too boring?

In this context a hook (or narrative hook, more properly) is usually the opening sentence.

Mind if I DM you?

Maybe you don't accept DMs so here it is:

"Teacher is it true that Europeans created AIDS so that they could sell medicine to us Africans?" Standing in front of more than a hundred of my form 5 chemistry students I tried to keep the shock from showing on my face.

From there I continue into the power of health education to improve people's lives, the synergy between research and teaching and ultimately why I think medicine is a better fit than either research or teaching by themselves (backed up by my time as a CNA)

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's still a work in progress.

"Teacher is it true that Europeans created AIDS so that they could sell medicine to us Africans?" Standing in front of more than a hundred of my form 5 chemistry students I tried to keep the shock from showing on my face.

From there I continue into the power of health education to improve people's lives, the synergy between research and teaching and ultimately why I think medicine is a better fit than either research or teaching by themselves (backed up by my time as a CNA)

This is dangerously close to “Mbuto, pass me another baby.”

I would personally suggest rewriting.

I think the overall theme you describe is not a bad idea for a ps

This is dangerously close to “Mbuto, pass me another baby.”

I would personally suggest rewriting
I'm a peace corps volunteer living and teaching in a village for 2 years. I don't exactly see how that relates to someone who took a medical tourism trip to pat themselves on the back.

Bridging cultural gaps is an important aspect of teaching in medicine. I don't quite see the parallel.

Not all stories related to international aid need to be instantly associated with that wonderful satire that is mbuto.

I'm a peace corps volunteer living and teaching in a village for 2 years. I don't exactly see how that relates to someone who took a medical tourism trip to pat themselves on the back.

Bridging cultural gaps is an important aspect of teaching in medicine. I don't quite see the parallel.

My issue is not with content per se, it’s the prose. If you send it to me via PM I can offer a more full critique.

My issue is not with content per se, it’s the prose. If you send it to me via PM I can offer a more full critique.
Will do as soon as I get my electricity back and can charge my computer. Thanks!

Perhaps you would care to elaborate more rather than provide remarkably unhelpful advice (though I can't even call "lol" advice)
Oh you were being serious? I'm sorry I thought that was sarcasm.

Uh.. I wouldn't be so descriptive. Reminds me of the guy who pokes cervixes.

But I agree great theme, I wouldn't use that direct quote however.

Oh you were being serious? I'm sorry I thought that was sarcasm.

Uh.. I wouldn't be so descriptive. Reminds me of the guy who pokes cervixes.
Thank you for the suggestion. I used the quote as a vivid illustration for the degree of misinformation that is prevalent here in TZ. I will rewrite and rewrite again. I would love more suggestions!

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I used the quote as a vivid illustration for the degree of misinformation that is prevalent here in TZ. I will rewrite and rewrite again. I welcome to more suggestions!

This is not necessarily directed specifically at you, and I am not in any way claiming to be an expert writer, or even a good one. But, seeing as I was able to catch a good number of readers' eyes and received positive comments on the written portions of my app, and spent a good deal of my undergraduate education reading and writing essays, I will offer some general advice on writing process.

The first thing you should do: Figure out how to answer the question, which is "Why do you want to go to medical school." The question is not why does some hypothetical third person want to go to medical school; it's you. The question is not why do you need to go to medical school much less why you deserve to go to medical school; no one needs to go to medical school and the rest of your app will speak for itself.

Second thing: What kind of app do you have? @vrazzles, you have already identified a pretty solid theme. Here is the thing I care about, here's why I feel a medical career is the best way for me to pursue this passion of mine. Not every PS needs to be like that, but it's certainly a very credible angle (and not too different from the angle I used). I like to think of the PS as the glue that binds everything together. It's most likely the first or last thing anyone will read and probably the only part of your app other than the secondary anyone might ever bother to read more than a single time. The PS should therefore tie the app together, both summarizing and organizing it: what are your key strengths and motivators? what are your stand-out characteristics and achievements? can you credibly communicate -- or, at least, artfully reconstruct -- some rhyme or reason for why you spent your pre-med years the way you did, whether that was just 4 years of UG or 12 years of a very winding road?

Third thing: Write the thing. Just write it. It's going to be bad. The key to good draftsmanship is to get the first draft out as quickly as possible so you can start to tear it apart. Editing and critique are much, much easier than writing. That's why it's easy to make snarky comments on the internet about cringey, sophomoric writing from strangers but very hard to actually write your own PS when it comes down to it.

Fourth: step away from it. Don't think about it. Get some distance. At least 24 hrs. Hand it off to some trusted colleagues, friends, mentors if you feel confident enough to do that after just the first draft (I didn't because I am insanely self-conscious about my writing).

Fifth: Rewrite.

Repeat 3-5 until you have something you are proud of. To paraphrase @Med Ed, it doesn't need to be Didion, but it can't be disqualifying. It's not a hard bar to clear, but that doesnt mean you should blow it off. Do your best on the PS and writing the rest of the app and the subsequent endless secondaries (which you will not have the luxury of rewriting endlessly for months before submitting) will be much easier.

On the subject of Didion, I think it helps to read some quality prose while trudging through the muck of your own amateur writing process. The last time many pre-meds had to write a proper essay might have been high school, god knows when was the last time they sat down and read one. Go to the library and read a few excerpts from Joan Didion's White Album or Slouching Towards Bethlehem, pickup Lewis Thomas' Notes of a Biology Watcher, leaf or scroll through the latest issue of n+1 or the Baffler or the Paris Review; pick your favorite subject and read a few literary essays on the topic by the real professionals. Get a sense for how to properly turn a phrase, move gracefully between anecdote and analysis, end a paragraph, vary syntax. Art is imitation and if you get even 0.1% of the way to imitating Baldwin in your PS you will be well on your way to putting your best possible foot forward with the ps.

Reactions: 7 users
This is not necessarily directed specifically at you, and I am not in any way claiming to be an expert writer, or even a good one. But, seeing as I was able to catch a good number of readers' eyes and received positive comments on the written portions of my app, and spent a good deal of my undergraduate education reading and writing essays, I will offer some general advice on writing process.

The first thing you should do: Figure out how to answer the question, which is "Why do you want to go to medical school." The question is not why does some hypothetical third person want to go to medical school; it's you. The question is not why do you need to go to medical school much less why you deserve to go to medical school; no one needs to go to medical school and the rest of your app will speak for itself.

Second thing: What kind of app do you have? @vrazzles, you have already identified a pretty solid theme. Here is the thing I care about, here's why I feel a medical career is the best way for me to pursue this passion of mine. Not every PS needs to be like that, but it's certainly a very credible angle (and not too different from the angle I used). I like to think of the PS as the glue that binds everything together. It's most likely the first or last thing anyone will read and probably the only part of your app other than the secondary anyone might ever bother to read more than a single time. The PS should therefore tie the app together, both summarizing and organizing it: what are your key strengths and motivators? what are your stand-out characteristics and achievements? can you credibly communicate -- or, at least, artfully reconstruct -- some rhyme or reason for why you spent your pre-med years the way you did, whether that was just 4 years of UG or 12 years of a very winding road?

Third thing: Write the thing. Just write it. It's going to be bad. The key to good draftsmanship is to get the first draft out as quickly as possible so you can start to tear it apart. Editing and critique are much, much easier than writing. That's why it's easy to make snarky comments on the internet about cringey, sophomoric writing from strangers but very hard to actually write your own PS when it comes down to it.

Fourth: step away from it. Don't think about it. Get some distance. At least 24 hrs. Hand it off to some trusted colleagues, friends, mentors if you feel confident enough to do that after just the first draft (I didn't because I am insanely self-conscious about my writing).

Repeat 3-5 until you have something you are proud of. To paraphrase @Med Ed, it doesn't need to be Didion, but it can't be disqualifying. It's not a hard bar to clear, but that doesnt mean you should blow it off. Do your best on the PS and writing the rest of the app and the subsequent endless secondaries (which you will not have the luxury of rewriting endlessly for months before submitting) will be much easier.

On the subject of Didion, I think it helps to read some quality prose while trudging through the muck of your own amateur writing process. The last time many pre-meds had to write a proper essay might have been high school, god knows when was the last time they sat down and read one. Go to the library and read a few excerpts from Joan Didion's White Album or Slouching Towards Bethlehem, pickup Lewis Thomas' Notes of a Biology Watcher, leaf or scroll through the latest issue of n+1 or the Baffler or the Paris Review; pick your favorite subject and read a few literary essays on the topic by the real professionals. Get a sense for how to properly turn a phrase, move gracefully between anecdote and analysis, end a paragraph, vary syntax. Art is imitation and if you get even 0.1% of the way to imitating Baldwin in your PS, you will be well on your way to putting your best possible foot forward with the ps.
Excellent advice, thank you for taking the time to write this.

I've been reading med school applications for at least 20 years and I like this opener. It makes me want to know more about this applicant and about the applicant's response to that statement.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been reading med school applications for at least 20 years and I like this opener. It makes me want to know more about this applicant and about the applicant's response to that statement.

I’m not an adcom, but I have been published a few hundred times. I actually like it too. It’s very unexpected and makes me want to see how you handled the situation. You could probably spruce it up with more polished prose, but even just the way it is I would totally keep reading.

So hooks ARE good? Man I gotta work on my PS some more. Mines boring and straightforward

So hooks ARE good? Man I gotta work on my PS some more. Mines boring and straightforward

The term hook is widely misunderstood by inexperienced writers. A hook just refers to the first sentence—specifically one that causes you to keep reading. It does NOT have to be the start of an action scene or even a dramatic line of dialogue. It can just be a statement of fact. Saying you need a hook just means that you need to make the first sentence or two interesting.

The term hook is widely misunderstood by inexperienced writers. A hook just refers to the first sentence—specifically one that causes you to keep reading. It does NOT have to be the start of an action scene or even a dramatic line of dialogue. It can just be a statement of fact. Saying you need a hook just means that you need to make the first sentence or two interesting.
Yeah I’ve never been a creative writer. I can whip up a research paper or essay, but I’m not “creative”. I’m probably borderline aspergers, lol.

I am averse to anything that starts with a quotation mark, but my opinion will not make or break your PS. It would just be nice if some applicants can make their PS's a little less personal-statementy in tone. Try a preceding sentence or two that sets up the exchange, as in how you ended up teaching chemistry to Africans.

If you do go with this opener, put a comma after "Teacher."

Maybe it’s because I’m off today and have had 3 cups of coffee before 7am, but I just realized that 1-6 can be combined into a story! As follows:

Modest one-room houses lay scattered across the desert landscape. On the first day that I walked into the Church Nursing Home, I was unsure of what to expect. The AIDS hospice reeked from disease and neglect. I heard the familiar sound of the back door closing gently. Pounding, rushing footsteps started to close in on me. "Call 911!" I shouted to my friend as I sprinted down the street.

You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe it’s because I’m off today and have had 3 cups of coffee before 7am, but I just realized that 1-6 can be combined into a story! As follows:

Modest one-room houses lay scattered across the desert landscape. On the first day that I walked into the Church Nursing Home, I was unsure of what to expect. The AIDS hospice reeked from disease and neglect. I heard the familiar sound of the back door closing gently. Pounding, rushing footsteps started to close in on me. "Call 911!" I shouted to my friend as I sprinted down the street.

You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
:highfive::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That sentence coming from a 2-year Peace Corps volunteer is rather different than coming from a medical tourist. This is someone who has walked the walk.

Well said. I can see why you've been published.

On the subject of Didion, I think it helps to read some quality prose while trudging through the muck of your own amateur writing process. The last time many pre-meds had to write a proper essay might have been high school, god knows when was the last time they sat down and read one. Go to the library and read a few excerpts from Joan Didion's White Album or Slouching Towards Bethlehem, pickup Lewis Thomas' Notes of a Biology Watcher, leaf or scroll through the latest issue of n+1 or the Baffler or the Paris Review; pick your favorite subject and read a few literary essays on the topic by the real professionals. Get a sense for how to properly turn a phrase, move gracefully between anecdote and analysis, end a paragraph, vary syntax. Art is imitation and if you get even 0.1% of the way to imitating Baldwin in your PS you will be well on your way to putting your best possible foot forward with the ps.

An excellent summary and 'how to' -- I particularly like your 'steps' portion.

Thank you all for the advise. @LizzyM the original opener tempts me too much to cut. I'll use it. Thanks!