Sample prerequisite schedule help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predent20192023

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming freshman and I need help planning when I should take my prerequisites so I can apply after my junior year.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming freshman and I need help planning when I should take my prerequisites so I can apply after my junior year.:)
For me I took the chemistry and physics sequence freshman year, ochem and biology sequence sophomore year, then miscellaneous upper division biology (like biochem, molecular bio and A&P). I took my DAT after sophomore year so I wasn't stressed in applying this cycle (after junior year is finished). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Similar to what is mentioned above. I completed my prereqs in two years:
Fall: Bio 1 & Chem 1
Spring: Bio 2, Chem 2, A&P 1
Summer: O Chem 1
Fall: O Chem 2, A&P 2, Physics 1
Spring: Biochem, Microbio, Physics 2
Note: I already had math prereqs completed prior

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to take the tougher classes sequentially like they mentioned. I would recommend not having an entire summer in between Ochem 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2 unless those come easy to you.

Just a reminder from what I know you don’t need to finish all pre-reqs before you apply.

So don’t feel like you need to rush all your pre reqs before junior year because that might tank your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I also recommend taking the DAT in August after sophomore year, which is possible with proper course planning and the ability to dedicate that summer to serious studying for the test. For the DAT you need Gen Chem, Organic Chem, and lots of Biology (but you will never be able to cover it all with college coursework. You will need to use a study program/strategy to learn as much Bio as possible for DAT). There is no Physics or Biochemistry on the DAT, although both are required prerequisites for DS. DS also like 2 semesters of Math and 2 semesters of English.

I'd aim for something like this:

Yr 1 Fall: Bio 1/lab, Gen Chem 1/lab, Math, English, Elective
Yr 1 Spring: Bio 2/lab, Gen Chem 2/lab, Math, English, Elective
Yr 2 Fall: Upper level Bio elective, Org Chem 1/lab, Elective, Elective, Elective
Yr 2 Spring: Upper level Bio elective, Org Chem 2/lab, Elective, Elective, Elective
Yr 3 Fall: Biochemistry (lab not required), Physics 1/lab, Elective, Elective, Elective
Yr 3 Spring: Upper level Bio elective, Physics 2/lab, Elective, Elective, Elective
Yr 4 Fall: Upper level Bio elective,...
Yr 4 Spring: Upper level Bio elective,...

DS like to see a full load of credits with multiple sciences/math during a semester to show that you can handle a full load. You also need to prioritize maintaining a high GPA, so it is a balancing act. If you want to take a course over a winter or summer break, I recommend taking an elective rather than a required science prerequisite. You don't need to have every prerequisite completed when you apply (end of junior year). You just need to have them done by graduation.

Thank you this is the best advice. I’m thinking of majoring in psych (undeclared now) should I just do biology as my major so I’m not as stressed out?