Prerequisite Classes via Dual Enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myler A

Reaction score
I’m currently a highschool student (freshman) doing dual enrollment. However I am thinking of taken some of my prerequisite classes through dual enrollment/dual credit. (Nutrition, English, Psychology, and speech)

Now here’s where the twist comes, suppose I take some of these classes freshman & sophomore year, so on. Some of these classes would be 5 years or older by the time I graduate university and apply to a dental school. Does this mean I would have to retake them? I am a Texas resident willing to apply to Texas A&M or any other Texas school. I’m also applying to OOS schools ofcourse to stay safe.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, way to plan ahead. Generally the courses that need to be less than 5 years old are the science's, statistics, math. And by the time you’re taking upper level STEM classes you’ll be within 5 years of applying anyway. Maybe while dual enrolled , consider taking humanities, English, and/or history.

Wow, way to plan ahead. Generally the courses that need to be less than 5 years old are the science's, statistics, math. And by the time you’re taking upper level STEM classes you’ll be within 5 years of applying anyway. Maybe while dual enrolled , consider taking humanities, English, and/or history.
I’m required to take Biology 1 & 2 though for my Associates degree, so what would I mainly do here? And are you sure it’s only got science, statistics, and math? I’ve been told it’s for all prerequisite classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in highschool doing dual enrolment, however I have 2 general questions.

1. I will be taking some of my prerequisite classes through dual enrolment during highschool, (Psychology, English, Speech, nutrition). However dual enrolment during highschool for me is online, does this mean dental schools wont accept online prerequisite courses?

2. Suppose I take some of these prerequisite courses during my freshman, or sophomore year, by the time I graduate highschool and university's some of these classes would be more than 5 years old. Does this mean I would have to retake them?

So far Im only willing to take the following classes

- Biology
- Nutrition
- Psychology
- English
- Speech

Everything else such as calculus, physics, chemistry, will be taken at a university once I transfer my credits.

If a school is explicit on their 5-year rule, then yes to apply you'd have to retake the class again. If a school doesn't state it, then I would probably assume at least 10 years old. But generally, getting everything done in 5 years should be a top priority as your DAT score is only valid for 3 years. This way you will have the most updated courses and DAT score and LOR's. Then you won't have to stress about scores expiring or having to find other letter writers.

Again, do your homework on schools you think you would want to apply to and then make a spread sheet with each school's requirements so you can figure out exactly what you need to do. You're in highschool so you have plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
1. If the title of the course says anywhere that it's online, then no it wouldn't be accepted as a prerequisite course. If it doesn't, then it's probably fine. You will know this if you access your transcript and see what it says for the course title on it.

2. If it's past the 5 year rule, and if the school requires courses to be done within 5 years, then yes you will need to retake the class for it to be used as a prereq. I would politely and professionally reach out to schools to see what their admissions team says on their requirements. If you can't find it online, best to reach out to be certain. Schools can change their rules each year so things can change.

Classes you're taking are fine. Just take what you need to take to get your dual enrollment credit, if you can't beat around the bush on what you can and can't take then you don't really have a choice. But best to take major courses at college and non-major courses at CC if you have the choice

Is your high school located in a rural county where you can take dual-enrollment CC classes? Are you homeschooling?

I think it may be worthwhile to connect with predental admissions officers at Texas A&M or other Texas dental schools to answer specific questions about courses.

Is your high school located in a rural county where you can take dual-enrollment CC classes? Are you homeschooling?

I think it may be worthwhile to connect with predental admissions officers at Texas A&M or other Texas dental schools to answer specific questions about courses.
I am not homeschooled, and I go to a private school. And yes they offer dual credit CC classes, at a known college right down the street from my school.