This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was just curious on sample timelines for pursuing an undergraduate biology degree (sample class schedules, when I should start studying for MCAT, when should I start volunteering, when should I apply to medical schools, etc). Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

As well, what are your thoughts on finishing an undergrad in 3 years rather than 4? Any sample timeline for that?

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I was just curious on sample timelines for pursuing an undergraduate biology degree (sample class schedules, when I should start studying for MCAT, when should I start volunteering, when should I apply to medical schools, etc). Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

As well, what are your thoughts on finishing an undergrad in 3 years rather than 4? Any sample timeline for that?

If you are already transferring in a lot of credits, graduating in 3 years is feasible. If you are starting pretty much from scratch, it’d be well worth it to finish a degree in 4 years. The process of becoming a physician is too long and tiring for you to be rushing through everything. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. I transferred in 30 ish credits and graduated a year early. That still felt like a bit of a push for me.

That being said, 2 science classes and 2 electives seems to be an ideal balance for class schedules. That’s what most people at my uni did without becoming too overwhelmed. Anything more became very stressful for those taking classes. It’s still doable though!

As for volunteering, I would say give yourself a semester to get adjusted to college and then start volunteering. Find volunteer opportunities that are related and not related to medicine. You want a good balance of clinical/non-clinical volunteer hours. Make sure as you volunteer to keep track of how many hours you have spent because medical school apps will eventually ask you. Make sure to spend time volunteering in places you’re actually compassionate about. You’ll likely be asked about these places in interviews later on and if you have no enthusiasm for the service you are doing then you might as well not be doing it.

When to apply for med schools and study for the MCAT depends on if you’re taking a gap year between undergrad and college. I am currently in one and think it is a wise decision for many. I’m using this year to build my application in ways I did not have time for during undergrad while also preparing myself for medical school. If you do not want a gap year, take the MCAT during January-May of your junior year. Use the fall and winter break of your junior year to study. Do not try to study for too long on the MCAT or you’ll experience burnout. Apply to medical schools the summer before your senior year, and then during your senior year you’ll travel to interviews. If you decide to take a gap year then push that timeline up a year.

I hope this all answers your questions! Not any of this is set in stone, so you may find studying for the MCAT at a different time or something else I have mentioned will need to be adjusted for you. The most important timeline thing to consider I would have to say is be prepared to submit your medical school applications as soon as they open. Texas medical school apps open in May, national ones in June. You’ll have better chances at getting interviews to medical schools if you apply closer to when applications open.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

My timeline:
Freshman yr (bio major) - begin pre-reqs like gen chem and bio
Summer - volunteer and shadow

Sophomore yr - finish orgo requirements
Summer - research and volunteer, begin optometry assistant part time job, start pre-writing essays

Junior yr - finish physics requirements, finish biochem, quit old job for scribing part time, continue research, ask for LORs
Summer - study for MCAT and take it mid-June, finish primary and secondary apps by late July/early August

Senior yr - finish all pre-reqs and major requirements, continue research, attend interviews, and receive acceptances :D
Summer (2018) - vacation tbd... hawaii maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also came in with 30+ credits and therefore decided to graduate in 3 years instead of four...there were still several semesters where I had to take the max amount of credits allowed at my school, so I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to graduate in 3 years if you're starting from scratch.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask/PM me!

I also came in with 30+ credits and therefore decided to graduate in 3 years instead of four...there were still several semesters where I had to take the max amount of credits allowed at my school, so I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to graduate in 3 years if you're starting from scratch.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask/PM me!

I’ll second this. I took classes every break and every semester for 18 months straight. It was tiring and I was very thankful once I graduated to have a slight break. 3 years was a push.

It’s really up to you how you want to do things. I recommend taking all necessary courses and planning to prep to take the McAT the spring of your junior year. This gives you the option of taking a gap year while also giving you an McAT score soon enough to apply traditionally (interviewing during your senior year, essentially) if you feel prepared.