Samuel Merritt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll613

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I was wondering if any of you have interviewed at Samuel Merritt, or know anything about the school. I haven't seen much in the threads about the school, so if anyone has any extra info, good or bad, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't interview there but maybe try searching for CSPM. That will bring up more results than sam merritt. Good Luck.

While waiting to hear from people directly, you can also try utilizing the "interview feedback" function that SDN offers. Currently, there is feedback for 20 interviews that took place at Samuel Merritt for their podiatry program dating back from November of 2006 up until this past December. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get why there is no sam merrit on here. Maybe they are like the NFL and they have banned all in school tweets/blogs/social media

Air Bud brings up a valid point that Sam Merritt is not discussed too often on the forum. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why that seems to be the case. Hopefully some current students will stop by and post about their thoughts on the interview and their experiences at CSPM thus far.

To all you fans out there, I can confirm that ThetaChi is alive and well. Heard from him a few days ago.

I am curious as well. Has anyone confirmed that they will be attending CSPM next year?

I am curious as well. Has anyone confirmed that they will be attending CSPM next year?

I interviewed there and enjoyed the school/bay area. I didnt like the early clinicals tho. It just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

All in all im still considering attending the school, mostly for location. You can PM me if you want specifics.

Not a lot has been said this round about CSPM because it's the best kept secret of the AACPM... ;o)

As my first year here at CSPM is coming down to the last 12-13 weeks, I can honestly say that I am GLAD I came here. Yes, the facilities are not as awesome as DMU or AZPod (or OCPMs new building), but the education here is OUTSTANDING, and the Bay Area can't be beat in terms of great/diverse location. Not the school's location, mind you (it IS in OAKLAND after all), but you do clinicals all around the bay starting summer after year 1! Class sizes are small enough (48 in ours) for everyone to be like a big family, and the 2nd year clinicals DO help and WILL be useful (sorry airbud) during this next summer/year. It doesn't matter how much one is able to do yet in clinicals, but in our Intro to Clinical Medicine course, we learn the basics to get the ball rolling. Even just meeting patients, charting, doing physical evals, prelim. diagnoses, radiology, chip n' clip, etc. puts just THAT much more experience under the belt for 3rd and 4th year clinicals/externships/etc. Shooting free throws and practicing lay ups, although not in a game situation DO, in fact, better your game. It's as simple as that!
Anyway, I highly recommend CSPM if you haven't decided on a school yet. If you have any more questions, you can message me and I'll try and get back to you asap about the school.

Not a lot has been said this round about CSPM because it's the best kept secret of the AACPM... ;o)

As my first year here at CSPM is coming down to the last 12-13 weeks, I can honestly say that I am GLAD I came here. Yes, the facilities are not as awesome as DMU or AZPod (or OCPMs new building), but the education here is OUTSTANDING, and the Bay Area can't be beat in terms of great/diverse location. Not the school's location, mind you (it IS in OAKLAND after all), but you do clinicals all around the bay starting summer after year 1! Class sizes are small enough (48 in ours) for everyone to be like a big family, and the 2nd year clinicals DO help and WILL be useful (sorry airbud) during this next summer/year. It doesn't matter how much one is able to do yet in clinicals, but in our Intro to Clinical Medicine course, we learn the basics to get the ball rolling. Even just meeting patients, charting, doing physical evals, prelim. diagnoses, radiology, chip n' clip, etc. puts just THAT much more experience under the belt for 3rd and 4th year clinicals/externships/etc. Shooting free throws and practicing lay ups, although not in a game situation DO, in fact, better your game. It's as simple as that!
Anyway, I highly recommend CSPM if you haven't decided on a school yet. If you have any more questions, you can message me and I'll try and get back to you asap about the school.

The students that I ate lunch with were 3rd year students and they said 1st year wasn't too bad.... its 2nd year where you are taking more credits than 1st year and trying to balance early clinicals with the heavy course load. They said 3rd year was pretty laid back (maybe as a result of early clinicals?).

But like I said Im thinking about attending CSPM. The bay is pretty nice place to be, and CSPM has a very low drop out rate compared to other schools. I would say CSPM is in my top 3 choices.

Edit: I originally said CSPM was capped at 58, I am wrong however. The class cap is set at 52.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if CSPM is still accepting students? Did anyone attend the interview and find out that the class of 2010 is already filled?

Do you know if CSPM is still accepting students? Did anyone attend the interview and find out that the class of 2010 is already filled?

Classes are not full yet, although they will cap the limit to 52 students this year. I interviewed recently btw.

Air Bud brings up a valid point that Sam Merritt is not discussed too often on the forum. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why that seems to be the case. Hopefully some current students will stop by and post about their thoughts on the interview and their experiences at CSPM thus far.

hey there, i'm a first year here at cspm. even though i like the theory of a ban for us students to go these types of websites (similar to the NFL) thats not true. its simply cause we're all really busy studying. as you all may or may not know, we have weekly tests here at cspm which keeps us on top of our game. cspm was my top choice and i wouldn't second guess my decision any time. my class has turned into my second family. we all study hard and party hard together. as for 2nd year clinicals, all of us are so stoked that we start those. after a year of basic sciences, i'm ready to go out there and start learning hands on.

i will try to answer anybody's questions when i get the time, but right now we're nearing the end of our first set of practicals for the semester....so just PM and i'll try to get back to u guys when i get the chance.

PS the interviews are relaxed. They're all really nice people. Everyonce in a while I will help out with the interviews on Wed. Wed interviews are fun too...you all will get to visit us in action during our anatomy lab.

Interview experience was as follows.

Meet Dr. Tran and other students on top floor and learn about the benefits of the school and such. Then we walked around the ORs and met up with a current third year who talked about all kinds of surgeries he got to participate in!!!

Later, we shadowed other third years, ate lunch with one, and interviewed.

I can go on and on, but you'll get your itinerary. It is a loooong day, but well worth it.

THINGS TO REMEMBER!

1. Dr. Tran is interviewing you the moment he meets you. Be personable and ask questions showing you care about podiatry and the school. Now is NOT the time to be shy.

2. Have at least three questions per interviewer.

3. Girls, break in your heels beforehand... you'll be walking A LOT

4. I was asked about a bad grade, so be aware and be ready to explain.

I know that throughout all 4 years you have rotations, labs, lectures, etc etc. I would like to know if at Samuel Merritt you complete all 4 years in the bay area or if you have to travel around Cali or even go out of state to complete some of the coursework? Thanks!

Fourth year you have a variety of options. There are CORES that are affiliated with the school and exist in/out of state. You can either stay in the Bay Area for year 4 and rotate through hospitals here, or, currently, there are cores in Tacoma, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and Dean Venson is working on Yale as an option in the near future. IN the 4th year, you do either 6-8 months(depending on the Core) of core rotations/courses, and do 4-6 clerkships for the rest. I believe the months can be done in a variety of orders at the different cores....This is my understanding of the system. Hope that helps.... Years 1-3 are in the great(er) Bay Area only....

Hi All,

One of the big plus of CSPM for me is the early clinical exposures, but now Ithink back and suddenly remembered that the clinical will start the summer after 1st yr. If this is true, do we still get summer off at all? (I am counting on the summer to make some extra $$).

Cheers!

man. can't believe that I am freaking out two weeks before school :eek: