San Antonio AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreshBreath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems San Antonio has two AEGD programs, does any one know the difference? It seems posters speak highly of this program, any insight from first hand participants or anyone with actual knowledge of the programs?

Members don't see this ad.

FreshBreath said:
It seems San Antonio has two AEGD programs, does any one know the difference? It seems posters speak highly of this program, any insight from first hand participants or anyone with actual knowledge of the programs?
There is one at the VA and one at the dental school. There is also a GPR at the dental school and hospital. The VA program is suppose to be better, though I'm not exactly sure why.

San Antone is a fun city. I went to dental school there.

There is the UT AEGD, UT GPR, and VA AEGD as TX OMS said...The VA residency has new facilities, and since the pts don't have to pay for treatment since they are veterans, you can do a lot of big stuff. The UT AEGD has a great patient pool, but patients do have to pay for treatment, although most are on board with that. The UT GPR is highly hospital based, but you still get about 35-40% of your time at the UT AEGD clinic also. They have to pull some busy call schedules though in the hospital. All of these programs have excellent faculty, and infact take many lectures and classes such as IV sedation together. You will place 30+ implants in any of the programs, get IV sedation certified, do plenty of perio surgery such as CT grafting, mini sinus lifts, esthetic and functional crown lenghthening, as well as some full mouth rehab and esthetics. Really you can do as much as you are willing to do. The VA has more ortho than the UT AEGD, but the UT AEGD probably has a bit more surgery. Really any of these programs are great.

Members don't see this ad :)
LarryBobDDS said:
There is the UT AEGD, UT GPR, and VA AEGD as TX OMS said...The VA residency has new facilities, and since the pts don't have to pay for treatment since they are veterans, you can do a lot of big stuff. The UT AEGD has a great patient pool, but patients do have to pay for treatment, although most are on board with that. The UT GPR is highly hospital based, but you still get about 35-40% of your time at the UT AEGD clinic also. They have to pull some busy call schedules though in the hospital. All of these programs have excellent faculty, and infact take many lectures and classes such as IV sedation together. You will place 30+ implants in any of the programs, get IV sedation certified, do plenty of perio surgery such as CT grafting, mini sinus lifts, esthetic and functional crown lenghthening, as well as some full mouth rehab and esthetics. Really you can do as much as you are willing to do. The VA has more ortho than the UT AEGD, but the UT AEGD probably has a bit more surgery. Really any of these programs are great.
Thanks for the input, also to you tx oms! Really good information, but I am also asuming these programs are relatively competitive.

tx oms said:
There is one at the VA and one at the dental school. There is also a GPR at the dental school and hospital. The VA program is suppose to be better, though I'm not exactly sure why.

San Antone is a fun city. I went to dental school there.

That would be because they get to place a ton of implants and do a lot of perio type surgery. The guy that runs the place makes sure they get a good education. I would definitely recommend the VA one over the regular.

I am currently a first year resident at UTHSCSA AEGD program. This program has been fabulous!! I have placed about 20 implants done at least 12 cases of thirds, done multiple lateral ridge augmentations, done 3 cases with bilateral open sinus lifts and a few closed sinus lifts, along with starting or continuing 3 cases of full mouth rehab. This program is the farthest thing from a 5th year of dental school as you can get. You are expected to know the basics of pre-doc dentrisrty when you arrive and then you are encouraged to expand your clinical skills to a level of confidence. This program is also one of the only that grants you IV moderate sedation certification at the end of one year. There is also an optional 2nd year available for those that want to get even more experience. One of the current 2nd year residents has done well of 200 implants!!! There is a faculty to student ratio of 5:16 everyday. We have a periodontist, endodontist, orthodontist, multiple general denists, IV sedation dentist, and general dentists with years of OMS fellowship.
This is the best program in the USA hands down!!! I would not even consider going anywhere else!!