San Diego vet school?

Started by Apollo84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

You think you have too few vet schools?! We have 7! including one that's opened this year.

Makes deciding which ones to apply to easier though! 🙂

Katie
 
that is awesome news! I love San Diego, too bad it won't happen in my time though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can tell you that I moved from San Diego in 2004 and they were talking about a vet school two years before that. So I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening any time soon. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Davis has an extension behavior service down there. The UCs are quasi goverment so I would not expect it to move with any sense of urgency. But heck, maybe I'm wrong.
 
http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=393687

Looks like they will eventually have a vet school in San Diego. Does anyone know more about this? Is it too much to hope that this will be ready in the next 5 years or less? I think the US needs to add more than 1 new vet school (more like 20) in the near future, but this would be a good start.


From what it sounds like from that article, I wouldn't bet on it opening in the next 5 years. (Sorry - it seems like a few of the UC Regents endorsed the principle of having more vet school seats, but not the whole Board of Regents, and not in any operational detail.)

I found it interesting that California ranked 49th among the states in available vet school seats per capita - 1 seat for every 250,000 people - no wonder there are so many Californians at Massey!