Santa Barbara Cottage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member F22C1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need much appreciated input/thoughts about this program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It takes input to give input. What are your concerns?
I don't have many concerns other than the fact that there isn't much (current) information or reviews about the program available. I'm wondering what are others general impressions of a smaller program (3 residents/yr.). Is it a wise move to live in an extremely expensive city as a resident? I guess I was hoping to get lucky and see if other members might know more about the program, because again there just isn't enough that can be gathered from online sources that I know of (i.e. residencyadvisor.info, scutwork.com, and of course SDN).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you interview there?

I can tell you what I thought from my interview:

It's a community program, and has the strengths and weakness that go along with that.

Residents seemed happy and knew/liked each other. (I think this is hard to fake--either they are chatting with each other spontaneously or they're not). We met just about every resident in the program (small program).

Operative experience is broard, including gyn onc, nephrectomies, and other stuff more 'old-school' general surgery. Of course, that is at the sacrifice of some depth in some areas, such as vascular, cardiac, hepatobiliary.

SB is expensive. But the benefits are great (moving stipend, 'wellness' stipend). If you're single, I don't think living there will be that big of a deal money-wise. Residency doesn't make anyone rich.

Program-wise, the rub is the poor 5-year first-time board pass rate (which is less than 50%). People will argue about what this means, but I think it's a legitimate consideration. The PD is new (just started after 3 years as PD at UCDavis). He will probably work hard to change that pass rate. He knew the applicants by sight the day I interviewed and remembered specific things about us, so at least he's taking an interest and reading people's files. The residents said that in the time he'd been there (admittedly short), he had stood up for them a couple of time already.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Program-wise, the rub is the poor 5-year first-time board pass rate (which is less than 50%). People will argue about what this means

I don't know why there would be any argument as to what it means. If you can't pass the boards at the end of your residency, then you didn't accomplish one of the main objectives of your 5 years of training. A pass rate that low should be concerning to everybody who interviews there, and shouldn't let the PD or the residents formulate a BS excuse.

However, I just looked up their first time pass rates for 2005-2010, and they were 78% for the QE and 63% for the CE...not great, but not horrible either.

I graduated med school in So-Cal in 2008, and while I heard about that program in passing, I didn't interview there personally. I'd be curious to know how they covered call, esp for interns. I with 3 interns and probably an equally small number of prelims, I wonder if they just do away with call altogether for them. Also, is your username F22C1 a reference to a car engine? If so, I have a sweet F22C1 engine in my 2005 Suzuka Blue S2000, and I absolutely love that car to death.

I don't know why there would be any argument as to what it means. If you can't pass the boards at the end of your residency, then you didn't accomplish one of the main objectives of your 5 years of training. A pass rate that low should be concerning to everybody who interviews there, and shouldn't let the PD or the residents formulate a BS excuse.

These are first time board pass rates. The argument is that the folks who fail do pass eventually, anyway, so you lose some cash but it's not like you won't work or eat. Moreover, some folks say that though a necessity in gen surg, the boards don't do a good job of differentiating between good and bad surgeons.

However, I just looked up their first time pass rates for 2005-2010, and they were 78% for the QE and 63% for the CE...not great, but not horrible either.

Actually, that is horrible. The combined pass rate is the one that matters. For 2005-2010 that was 44%. Meaning only 44% of their graduates from 2005-2011 passed both parts (and thus became board certified) on the first attempt. It has improved for 2006-2011 (it's now 60%).

For comparison, UK Witchita has first time combined pass rates of 86% and 90% in 2005-2010 and 2006-2011, respectively.

Did you interview there?

I can tell you what I thought from my interview....

I had a similar interview experience. Personally, I think the PD was great and after talking to residents at UC Davis they were really sad to see him go. Expensive yes, but dang it sure would be a gorgeous place to train and live. Did you remember hearing about upper level call schedule? I imagine it could be pretty taxing with only a limited amount of residents.

Also, is your username F22C1 a reference to a car engine?

Sure is! love the s2k

Last edited:
For comparison, UK Witchita has first time combined pass rates of 86% and 90% in 2005-2010 and 2006-2011, respectively.

It's unfair to hold other programs to the same standard as Wichita. They are, after all, the "Harvard of Southeastern Kansas."

While we're on the topic of my home program, I'm interested in how I fall into the 2006-2011 numbers since I've taken the QE but not the CE....2 of my co-chiefs took (and passed) the CE in the fall immediately after the QE, so they might be included in the 2011 numbers.

While we're on the topic of my home program, I'm interested in how I fall into the 2006-2011 numbers since I've taken the QE but not the CE....2 of my co-chiefs took (and passed) the CE in the fall immediately after the QE, so they might be included in the 2011 numbers.

"QE / CE combined index : Candidate successful on 1st attempt for QE and CE; note - some candidates who have passed QE have not yet taken 1st CE - combined index includes QE only for these candidates."

I'm not sure that clarifies it, though.

These are first time board pass rates. The argument is that the folks who fail do pass eventually, anyway, so you lose some cash but it's not like you won't work or eat. Moreover, some folks say that though a necessity in gen surg, the boards don't do a good job of differentiating between good and bad surgeons.

Something like that.

Actually, that is horrible. The combined pass rate is the one that matters. For 2005-2010 that was 44%. Meaning only 44% of their graduates from 2005-2011 passed both parts (and thus became board certified) on the first attempt. It has improved for 2006-2011 (it's now 60%).

I stand corrected on the pass rate. I was using the one from '05-'10. Still, 60% ain't awesome, but I guess it's on the upswing.

I had a similar interview experience. Personally, I think the PD was great and after talked to residents at UC Davis they were really sad to see him go. Expensive yes, but dang it sure would be a gorgeous place to train and live. Did you remember hearing about upper level call schedule? I imagine it could be pretty taxing with only a limited amount of residents.

I don't actually remember what the call situation is there. They may have mid-levels that bear some of the burden. I did like the program and the PD. Sweet new hospital, too. These are the beautiful people.

Expensive yes, but dang it sure would be a gorgeous place to train and live.

Personally, a low board pass rate would be more concerning to me than location. Sure I wouldn't want to live somewhere (1) dangerous, and (2) rural, but I would worry about a program that didn't focus on didactics, education over service, and had such a poor board pass rate.

I appreciate the input everyone. Really helped put things into perspective.