SAP appeal for Max Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How likely is this to get granted. I've got 180 hrs already but the bulk of those credits are not counted toward my degree. This is primarily because the Army issued me 60 semester hours from GWU for completing my MOS (whether I wanted them or not). Without those hours I can complete my bio degree without going over the 180 limit. I've read some posts in other forums where some people say there is no way they will approve max hours appeals and others where people say it's a breeze.

It ultimately won't stop me from attending, as I'll simply draw from my retirement to pay tuition, but it will mean that I'll probably do all my basic classes at CC. The local CC classes cost me $175 each, but my 1 course I have left this semester at my 4 year is costing me $2300.

The really nice birthday present they gave me was to show me as SAP eligible this entire time (a couple of months) and then wait until the day tuition was due to mark me ineligible for max hours. I even asked months ago if I could file the appeal at that time in order to have a decision before tuition was due. They said I had to be marked ineligible to file the appeal and since I wasn't, not to worry about it.

Subsequently, I followed up with my academic adviser who assured me that "financial aid is always 1 semester behind, so they will mark you ineligible next semester but you are fine for this semester."

Anyway, anyone with experience in these matters that has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Like I said, it won't stop me, but I'd rather do all my courses at the 4 year and carry a small amount of debt (I have $0 in undergrad debt atm). In the past two weeks I've had two contracts disintegrate that would have paid for my entire 4 years and the likelihood of replacing them is not very good at this junction, at least not without me drawing significant time away from studies to make it happen. I'd rather just borrow the tuition money and focus on my grades.

Members don't see this ad.

How likely is this to get granted. I've got 180 hrs already but the bulk of those credits are not counted toward my degree. This is primarily because the Army issued me 60 semester hours from GWU for completing my MOS (whether I wanted them or not). Without those hours I can complete my bio degree without going over the 180 limit. I've read some posts in other forums where some people say there is no way they will approve max hours appeals and others where people say it's a breeze.

It ultimately won't stop me from attending, as I'll simply draw from my retirement to pay tuition, but it will mean that I'll probably do all my basic classes at CC. The local CC classes cost me $175 each, but my 1 course I have left this semester at my 4 year is costing me $2300.

The really nice birthday present they gave me was to show me as SAP eligible this entire time (a couple of months) and then wait until the day tuition was due to mark me ineligible for max hours. I even asked months ago if I could file the appeal at that time in order to have a decision before tuition was due. They said I had to be marked ineligible to file the appeal and since I wasn't, not to worry about it.

Subsequently, I followed up with my academic adviser who assured me that "financial aid is always 1 semester behind, so they will mark you ineligible next semester but you are fine for this semester."

Anyway, anyone with experience in these matters that has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Like I said, it won't stop me, but I'd rather do all my courses at the 4 year and carry a small amount of debt (I have $0 in undergrad debt atm). In the past two weeks I've had two contracts disintegrate that would have paid for my entire 4 years and the likelihood of replacing them is not very good at this junction, at least not without me drawing significant time away from studies to make it happen. I'd rather just borrow the tuition money and focus on my grades.

Think it really depends on the school, hence the widely varying answers. I think you have a good justification and clearly aren't trying to abuse the system, so I think your chances are good. I have 3 bachelors degrees from 2 diff. Instutions and over 200 undergrad credits. I filed and appeal, it was ridiculously easy, and I had financial aid for everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Think it really depends on the school, hence the widely varying answers. I think you have a good justification and clearly aren't trying to abuse the system, so I think your chances are good. I have 3 bachelors degrees from 2 diff. Instutions and over 200 undergrad credits. I filed and appeal, it was ridiculously easy, and I had financial aid for everything.

Well this gives me hope! I went ahead and paid the $2300 for the one class at the moment and just dropped the other 3. I subsequently signed up for those 3 at local CC, so even if they deny it I'll have a the same load this semester. Hopefully they will approve the appeal and next semester I can move back to full time at the 4 year.