SAT/ACT Math Resources

malfee

Sports Medicine Wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right, so I've taken both the SAT and ACT once each already, and on both test, math has consistently been my weakest score. For example, on the SAT I scored:

CR: 630
Ma: 560
Wr: 680

It's almost ironic because I perform pretty darn well in my math classes, especially this past year where I convinced my teacher (through academic performance) to recommend me for AP Calculus this year.

Quite the contrary, one of my closest friends is stellar at math both on and off the tests, with math being his highest score on the SAT. We're planning on collaborating late this month and throughout September before the October SAT/ACT tests, wherein he would help me with my math skills and I would help him with his reading/writing.

This is all well and good, but does anyone have any superb resources for SAT/ACT math that I can look at on my own? I realize that the format of the questions stay virtually identical to previous tests, only having numerical variables altered, however, is that really the only way I can get better -- by grinding out problem after problem until I condition myself to learn the "tricks"?

It really bugs me that my Critical Reading and Math only add up to 1190 because of my mediocre Math score. I at least want to be in the mid-1200 range, if not higher. It's not that I really need to (my dream school would take me even with my current SAT scores), but it frustrates me to no end that I perform so poorly on these sections.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barron Math Workbook is great

When I teach math, I usually try and stay away from Barron's unless my student is a BIG TIME formula person. I've used it for the SAT II math stuff before, and all the explanations refer to some formula in the front of the book without applying general concepts. Not that great of a way to teach most people or for most people to learn because many can hardly remember the geometry formulas in the back of the book, let alone remember the 3-D distance formula. However, if you are looking for challenging problems, Barron makes some very difficult ones.

If I remember correctly, they DO give you some programs for your calculator that you can easily program in yourself so that would really benefit a lot of people.

Reminder: check out the texas instrument website and look for programs that will help you.

defintley get the blue book from college board. Take practice tests and look through what you are having problems with. usually a score below 600, you know what problems scare u when u see them. Every SAT Math has similar problems with different numbers. You have to do a break down. But just know that the math section on the SAT is the easiest section to bring your score up if you didnt perform well the first time.