SAT review

Mo_MO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm no good at reviewing practice exams so I'm turning to you guys for help. I've been taking a lot of practice SATs and my score has been pretty stagnant. Any advice on how to improve your score? Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend going to PrepScholar (I'm not saying you have to purchase tutoring from them, just visit their website) where they have a whole bunch of stuff about SATs and ACTs. I'm doing their tutoring program right now and so far my score is at a 1480, so I would say their program is effective! But I would also recommend looking into these broad categories for each section of the test and studying up on them:

Math
  • solving linear and quadratic equations
  • inequalities
  • polynomials and complex #s
  • ratios and probability
  • basic geometry and trig
Reading
  • comparing two texts
  • word choice
  • theme of a passage/big picture
  • perspective questions (author's POV, etc)
  • citing evidence from the text
Writing
  • Grammar: modifiers (very important and often overlooked!)
  • Grammar: possessives and pronouns
  • Grammar: verb tense and syntax
  • consistent style/tone of writing
  • consistent complexity of writing (too much detail or too vague)
Ways to Improve on Tests
You've probably heard this before, but it is very important to REVIEW your mistakes! This is honestly one of the best ways to improve your score. Look at the practice SATs you've taken and see which questions you've missed. Analyze why you missed them: did you just not understand the material? Were you rushed? Are you always missing a certain type of question (ex: grammar modifiers)? This will help direct your studying on what you need to review the most.

Good luck with your studying and remember that the SATs are just one slice in the pie of college admissions!
I hope this helped somewhat even though it is somewhat broad.