SAT Scores for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rutgers152

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am fully aware of the inane nature of this question. Why do medical schools care about what happened in high school? Well, I've done a bit of research and read that, supposedly, some medicals look at SAT scores. Could anyone give me some more information regarding SAT scores and medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that they weigh the PSAT more heavily.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am fully aware of the inane nature of this question. Why do medical schools care about what happened in high school? Well, I've done a bit of research and read that, supposedly, some medicals look at SAT scores. Could anyone give me some more information regarding SAT scores and medical schools?

I think some schools (Baylor, I believe, does this) request it because they have high school students applying to their BS/MD programs and it works as a proxy for an MCAT score they obviously won't have. From what I seem to recall from last year's Baylor thread, in these cases, the SAT scores of MD applicants are rarely even noticed.

As for other schools that might do this (are there any?) it might be because SAT scores are, regardless of all the arguments that can be made against it, the best single predictor of success in college? I can't really think of any other reason though :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I think some schools (Baylor, I believe, does this) request it because they have high school students applying to their BS/MD programs and it works as a proxy for an MCAT score they obviously won't have. From what I seem to recall from last year's Baylor thread, in these cases, the SAT scores of MD applicants are rarely even noticed.

As for other schools that might do this (are there any?) it might be because SAT scores are, regardless of all the arguments that can be made against it, the best single predictor of success in college? I can't really think of any other reason though :laugh:

Why would they need to predict your success in college after you're nearly finished?

Why would they need to predict your success in college after you're nearly finished?

Yeah..which is why I have no idea why other schools would request them, hahah (..speaking of which, are there any non-BS/MD programs ask for them?). The rest of my previous post is still true as far as I know :p

There are a couple of med schools that may ask for your SAT score, but I believe that this is purely for statistical analysis purposes and has no bearing on admissions.

I recall being asked for my SAT scores on 1/19 secondaries. I can't remember which school it was... Jefferson...?

I had to find that ancient envelope from quite a while ago!:laugh:

A few applied to asked and the explanation boiled down pretty ubiquitously to, "It provides context for your MCAT score and lets us know whether you scored well/poorly on the MCAT due to a Hx of weakness on standardized exams or simply poor preparation."

TMDSAS asks for your SAT scores, and some Texas schools (like A&M) ask for it again on their secondary. Is this all just for funsies or do they actually find some merit in these scores?

I recall being asked for my SAT scores on 1/19 secondaries. I can't remember which school it was... Jefferson...?

I had to find that ancient envelope from quite a while ago!:laugh:

I can't remember if it was Jefferson or one of the Texas/Cali schools but they definitely asked for SAT scores. I just made one up to be around what I thought I got :shrug: :whistle:. lol

A few applied to asked and the explanation boiled down pretty ubiquitously to, "It provides context for your MCAT score and lets us know whether you scored well/poorly on the MCAT due to a Hx of weakness on standardized exams or simply poor preparation."

Wouldn't both be bad? The former doesn't bode well for USMLE performance, and the latter doesn't bode well for med school performance in general.

On a side note, I wonder what an adcom thinks about a person when their SAT score is mediocre but their MCAT is excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sources? Unless you're a national merit scholar, schools don't care about high school

Yes, I believe Jefferson did ask for SAT score.

Lol @jefferson and their ridiculous desire to have so specific LOR requirements (1 physics, 1 chemistry etc.), plus their notorious interest in giving silent rejections in april. I think it's safe to say most schools (that are not bizarre ones like jefferson) don't care about SAT scores.

Hahahahah, what bizarre universe do some of these administrators live in that they think SAT scores are in any way relevant for med school? I get the BS/MD thing, but the rest is goofy. Do they want my star sign too? Or my eye color? I can have a tarot reading too if they need, that's probably just as predictive.

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't both be bad? The former doesn't bode well for USMLE performance, and the latter doesn't bode well for med school performance in general.

On a side note, I wonder what an adcom thinks about a person when their SAT score is mediocre but their MCAT is excellent.

They seemed to mean more in the case of if your MCAT score was weak. If it's strong, it's just strong. If it's weak, I suppose it would let them assess what resources you might need in medical school. I'm not sure which would be seen more favorably. It probably would depend upon the rest of the application.

They seemed to mean more in the case of if your MCAT score was weak. If it's strong, it's just strong. If it's weak, I suppose it would let them assess what resources you might need in medical school. I'm not sure which would be seen more favorably. It probably would depend upon the rest of the application.
I was just wondering if I had below average SAT scores, a 1650 out of 2400 (I just assume since I'm not good at standardized tests) do you think it would play a huge role in my future scores for the MCAT? I have a 4.0 gpa (I'm a junior in high school) and i really want to pursue medicine, I passed 3 of my AP classes, and taking AP chem and AP bio, and a very studious and hard working student. Does the SAT and MCAT have any correlation? I do fairly well in my science classes, and if i study hard enough and work hard enough for the MCAT can I have a chance of doing well? (30s=35s)

For one of my secondaries I was required to report my math/verbal scores from my SATs (or total out of 1600 if you don't know the breakdown..)
So for some reason they care.

Edit: it was VCU

For one of my secondaries I was required to report my math/verbal scores from my SATs (or total out of 1600 if you don't know the breakdown..)
So for some reason they care.

Edit: it was VCU
What school was it? and do you think having a competitive MCAT score but low SAT scores would be a factor to not accept me to medical school?

I was just wondering if I had below average SAT scores, a 1650 out of 2400 (I just assume since I'm not good at standardized tests) do you think it would play a huge role in my future scores for the MCAT? I have a 4.0 gpa (I'm a junior in high school) and i really want to pursue medicine, I passed 3 of my AP classes, and taking AP chem and AP bio, and a very studious and hard working student. Does the SAT and MCAT have any correlation? I do fairly well in my science classes, and if i study hard enough and work hard enough for the MCAT can I have a chance of doing well? (30s=35s)

I got an 1800/2400 on my SATs. Got a 31 (11/8/12) on the MCAT. Only scored a 560 on critical reading for SATs, and my verbal score for MCAT was sorta low....idk if there's a correlation or if that's just coincidence?

But to answer your other question, I don't honestly think they care what you got on the SATs. It's probably more for data collection than anything. They pre-screen anyway before they even know what you did on the SAT.

I got an 1800/2400 on my SATs. Got a 31 (11/8/12) on the MCAT. Only scored a 560 on critical reading for SATs, and my verbal score for MCAT was sorta low....idk if there's a correlation or if that's just coincidence?

But to answer your other question, I don't honestly think they care what you got on the SATs. It's probably more for data collection than anything. They pre-screen anyway before they even know what you did on the SAT.
Thank you for the response!! I tend to worry often (I know its a bad habit) but, if I had below average SAT scores do you think I still have a chance if I study real hard and work hard in the next 5 years ( my senior year and undergrad) to do well for the MCAT? I keep thinking that if my SAT scores aren't in the 2000s+ (reading,math, and writing) that I shouldn't even try to study for the MCAT, BUT i do get straight A's and do great in my science classes and pass my AP classes!!

Thank you for the response!! I tend to worry often (I know its a bad habit) but, if I had below average SAT scores do you think I still have a chance if I study real hard and work hard in the next 5 years ( my senior year and undergrad) to do well for the MCAT? I keep thinking that if my SAT scores aren't in the 2000s+ (reading,math, and writing) that I shouldn't even try to study for the MCAT, BUT i do get straight A's and do great in my science classes and pass my AP classes!!

The MCAT is an entirely different beast than all those other things. You have to approach that test differently for your studying than you did the SATs, APs, even your classes.....

And you're still in high school? Finish that first :p
I finished undergrad with a 3.73 cGPA/3.79 sGPA and a 31 MCAT. Got an 1800 SAT, 27 ACT (hahahah i know), and had a 3.92 cum GPA in high school. It's all relative. And what you do in high school doesn't necessarily say how you're gonna do in undergrad. So quit worrying. Enjoy things you're doing now. Study smart and continue that trend. Get involved. It's not just a numbers game.

Reactions: 1 users
The MCAT is an entirely different beast than all those other things. You have to approach that test differently for your studying than you did the SATs, APs, even your classes.....

And you're still in high school? Finish that first :p
I finished undergrad with a 3.73 cGPA/3.79 sGPA and a 31 MCAT. Got an 1800 SAT, 27 ACT (hahahah i know), and had a 3.92 cum GPA in high school. It's all relative. And what you do in high school doesn't necessarily say how you're gonna do in undergrad. So quit worrying. Enjoy things you're doing now. Study smart and continue that trend. Get involved. It's not just a numbers game.
Haha wow thats pretty good, I only hope to do as well as you and I hope you get into the medical schools you want! Thank you for the advice you have no idea how much I appreciate it :) I will try to be less neurotic LOL

Haha wow thats pretty good, I only hope to do as well as you and I hope you get into the medical schools you want! Thank you for the advice you have no idea how much I appreciate it :) I will try to be less neurotic LOL

It would be in your best interest to do that :) it'll help your overall well-being long term.

Sources? Unless you're a national merit scholar, schools don't care about high school
If any med schools will give me a leg up due to high SAT/NMS status please let me know ;p

If SAT got counted med admissions would be whole different (and more ridiculous) ballgame.

If any med schools will give me a leg up due to high SAT/NMS status please let me know ;p

If SAT got counted med admissions would be whole different (and more ridiculous) ballgame.

I would hope no one decides to retake their SAT score just for those schools that ask.

I would hope no one decides to retake their SAT score just for those schools that ask.
I hope they do, that'd be hilarious. SDN could have an SAT subforum and everything. It'd be like the good ol' days on college confidential

Reactions: 2 users
Go out there, kick ass, grow into an amazing person, and don't let the anxiety on these forums get to you, if you do stay on here for the next 5 years. Have fun in college!!!

Last edited:
This exactly. I never took the SAT/ACT, and on the same note, never even finished high school. Dropped out my Junior year. No one has said a word. Unless it's absolutely groundbreaking, chances are they won't bat an eye at it.

This exactly. I never took the SAT/ACT, and on the same note, never even finished high school. Dropped out my Junior year. No one has said a word. Unless it's absolutely groundbreaking, chances are they won't bat an eye at it.
You dropped out of high school and am now going to medical school? That's pretty impressive. How did you get into college without graduating/standardized testing, if you don't mind me asking?

To the high schooler, I'm applying currently and joined SDN a few days ago for the first time.

In my opinion, the students on here are more neurotic and more insane than normal pre-meds. If you are an anxious person, I wouldn't read these posts for the next 5 years.

Also, if you're a minority, I would also beware these forums. People say some pretty... intense (?) things about race and admissions on here. About being a certain race and having "harder" or "easier" time getting in. I would beware reading that in this stage of your growth.

Go out there, kick ass, grow into an amazing person, and don't let the anxiety on these forums get to you, if you do stay on here for the next 5 years. Have fun in college!!!
Ahhh that is a relief because I began to think after reading these threads, "Man, I'm going to be so stressed in college" and "Ugh, I need to get so much done with my EC's and be president of this blah blah" haha But thanks so much for the advice! I'm trying to be as not neurotic and enjoy my high school years and get good grades at the same time! I just tend to feel that I'm always behind on things since their are even 15 year olds graduating high school (like omg) I hope you get into the medical schools you want to!:D

Your knowledge and skill base will change drastically over the next five years, but I will tell you from experience with friends that having trouble with standardized tests is real. The SAT is not a hard test at all and it tests, above all, “common” skills (maybe some of the math isn’t so common I guess). i know people don’t like hearing this stuff, but having a score that low (avg 550 per section, like 35-40% wrong) is not a good sign for future test performance. There is no better time than late high school/college to figure out what’s going on. If you’re acing school, your school is likely too easy. But anyone “acing” school should have no content problems on the SAT, which implies that your 1650 is a result of test anxiety. Like, make no mistake…1650 is ridiculously low if you are actually taking academics seriously. Given the tone of your posts…you are indeed the neurotic/anxious type. Does this mean you’re destined for <30 on the MCAT? Of course not. But it means that if nothing changes and you don’t actively work to get rid of that anxiety, things do not bode well for you. You run the not insignificant risk of knowing the content and application of the material well but flailing on test day.

Test anxiety is real and the effects are ruthless. I read your post and red flags blare in my head. take it easy, yes, but it is never too early to start working on standardized testing issues if you want to pursue this field. It can bury you.

You dropped out of high school and am now going to medical school? That's pretty impressive. How did you get into college without graduating/standardized testing, if you don't mind me asking?
Of course I don't mind :) I currently attend a state university that uses their own version of the SAT/ACT in the form of an accuplacer. It's a very straightforward 20-question exam that scales in difficulty based on your responses. Once done, it places you in the appropriate Math/English courses. 3 years after dropping out I finally committed to the GED through said university. I guess it isn't entirely fair to say I hadn't graduated at all.

I've been asked for them on a few secondaries, and everyone except for Baylor was optional. IIRC the secondary explicitly said it was for statistical purposes.

I'm pretty sure any SAT requests on secondaries are, indeed, for statistical analysis and does not play a factor in admissions.

@jeepin_beachin219 - First of all, enjoy high school and then enjoy college. Don't measure yourself up to other people you know or other people on the internet. You only need to worry about being the best version of yourself that you can be. You'll be your best if you are having fun. So have fun. That being said, if you struggle with standardized testing, then you struggle with standardized testing. The MCAT is a standardized test. It's not quite like the SAT because it has a more specific content base (non verbal or CARS or whatever it is now), and it's way harder. But it is not a content test. It's a thinking test that you only have a shot to think about if you understand the content. I think it being a thinking test is very important, because if you have anxiety you will close yourself off and maybe won't think about things from all angles. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would try to seek some help remaining calm, or focusing, or improving your test-taking ability because going to med school isn't like just going to college. There isn't always someone who will take you.

SAT scores aren't generally a great predictor of MCAT success, but those correlations are generally looked at the other way around. Doing well on the SAT doesn't assure you anything on the MCAT. I also think that some people who do well on the mcat probably didn't do exceedingly well on the SAT because they lacked focus. I, for instance, couldn't have cared less about the SAT, but tried extremely hard on the MCAT. Finding data on people that tried hard but didn't do particularly well on the SAT and then tried hard on the MCAT and did well would probably be tough to find. Also, percentile-wise it's important to realize that the people taking the SAT are people who just want to go to college or are taking it because they may want to. Whereas the MCAT represents people who are actively trying to go to med school. Though many of them probably don't apply.

As far as prereqs and stuff in school, my advice is to be involved in things you are passionate about. If you're not passionate about helping people, then being a physician may not be for you. So volunteering is a must. Shadowing is too. Taking on leadership roles does help, but you can still be successful, in my opinion, by doing only ECs that are available to you (not having to be elected, or selected). Your first priority should be learning, though. But medical school wants to know that you can time-manage and have success in other endeavors.

Again, I know that I may have written all of this in vain, because most pre-pre-meds probably don't end up applying. But maybe you'll be the exception (or others that may read this, I guess). Good luck!

I'm pretty sure any SAT requests on secondaries are, indeed, for statistical analysis and does not play a factor in admissions.

@jeepin_beachin219 - First of all, enjoy high school and then enjoy college. Don't measure yourself up to other people you know or other people on the internet. You only need to worry about being the best version of yourself that you can be. You'll be your best if you are having fun. So have fun. That being said, if you struggle with standardized testing, then you struggle with standardized testing. The MCAT is a standardized test. It's not quite like the SAT because it has a more specific content base (non verbal or CARS or whatever it is now), and it's way harder. But it is not a content test. It's a thinking test that you only have a shot to think about if you understand the content. I think it being a thinking test is very important, because if you have anxiety you will close yourself off and maybe won't think about things from all angles. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I would try to seek some help remaining calm, or focusing, or improving your test-taking ability because going to med school isn't like just going to college. There isn't always someone who will take you.

SAT scores aren't generally a great predictor of MCAT success, but those correlations are generally looked at the other way around. Doing well on the SAT doesn't assure you anything on the MCAT. I also think that some people who do well on the mcat probably didn't do exceedingly well on the SAT because they lacked focus. I, for instance, couldn't have cared less about the SAT, but tried extremely hard on the MCAT. Finding data on people that tried hard but didn't do particularly well on the SAT and then tried hard on the MCAT and did well would probably be tough to find. Also, percentile-wise it's important to realize that the people taking the SAT are people who just want to go to college or are taking it because they may want to. Whereas the MCAT represents people who are actively trying to go to med school. Though many of them probably don't apply.

As far as prereqs and stuff in school, my advice is to be involved in things you are passionate about. If you're not passionate about helping people, then being a physician may not be for you. So volunteering is a must. Shadowing is too. Taking on leadership roles does help, but you can still be successful, in my opinion, by doing only ECs that are available to you (not having to be elected, or selected). Your first priority should be learning, though. But medical school wants to know that you can time-manage and have success in other endeavors.

Again, I know that I may have written all of this in vain, because most pre-pre-meds probably don't end up applying. But maybe you'll be the exception (or others that may read this, I guess). Good luck!
quoting for emphasis. @jeepin_beachin219
Thank you both for the advice I GREATLY appreciate it. I know I have a very long, rigorous journey ahead of me, and I will constantly study hard (I know quality is better then quantity,) learn to accept some failures, and just do the best of my ability! I like to believe that I have found a passion for medicine and definite goal for it but, I know that passion will be tested along the journey. I am currently doing practice SAT tests everyday now to try and improve my score (since I took early at the beginning of my sophomore year) and take your advice for improving my test-taking skills! And I do not believe you have written this in vain because you two have surely inspired me to better and challenge myself! I now have realized that realistically, passion alone cannot get me to achieve my goals and hard work, patience, intelligence, and EC's.
I am determined to show that even though my goals may appear as lofty, and quite challenging, I can achieve it!:p P.S wow I can only hope for to be as successful as you in John Hopkins Medical School. Best of luck to all the future MD's out their!

Good luck sweetie, work hard and prepare yourself!

First, I think schools and the AAMC are interested in the data. It's probably beneficial to them in some way to have more information about students and trends with medical school applicants.

Secondly, many schools have early acceptance programs. Many of these early acceptance programs waive the MCAT requirement and instead have a minimum SAT score (often reading + math) requirement to be eligible for the program. Schools might be interested in analyzing what a good SAT score requirement for their early acceptance/special program might be based on previous medical school matriculants.

In summary, the data can be potentially useful for schools and the AAMC for various reasons.

Maybe if you're a high schooler applying to a BS/MD program...

It depends. I had to give mine for a number of schools (took it at 12 to start taking college classes--1300's, not great by college standards), and it definitely was brought up by some interviewers (mostly in the North, if that helps). I had to report it for some of the Southern schools, but no one seemed to look at it or care. I think it depends on the school and the circumstances under which one has taken the SAT. (I was accepted to some of the schools that asked, so I doubt it is a make-or-break sort of question.) Hope that helps!