SAT senior year???

tennisgrlcc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high school junior, I go to a small private school and at my school we take the SAT senior year and during your junior year you take the PSAT. Which I think is kind of weird, don't most people take the SAT junior year and if they don't like their score they can take it again senior year? This worries me because what if I take the SAT my senior year of high school and make a low score? Then do I have time to retake it considering I'll have to apply to colleges that same year???

Members don't see this ad.

You should technically take it at the beginning of your senior year but I took it beginning of junior, end of junior and am going to take my final one in October.

That is kind of odd, but I wouldn't worry too much. Plenty of people don't take the SAT until their senior year. I officially started studying for the SAT's the summer before my senior year and took it two times after that. You'll definitely have time to retake it if you don't like your first score, but I would advise that you just sign up for two fall tests now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking about just taking the SAT junior year (this coming school year) without my school and then deciding if I want to take it again or not. Can colleges see that you took the SAT twice or multiple times?

You have the choice to send your SAT scores. Say, you take the SAT twice and on the first attempt, you get a 1600 and on the second try you get a 1900 or something, send your best score to the colleges you would like to apply to. Colleges do not care how many times you take the SAT, take them and try to do well on them.

Can't you choose to take it on your own, regardless of what your high school is doing?

If you do take it early Senior year, I don't think that's a huge problem.

Early senior year isn't too much of a problem.

You have the choice to send your SAT scores. Say, you take the SAT twice and on the first attempt, you get a 1600 and on the second try you get a 1900 or something, send your best score to the colleges you would like to apply to. Colleges do not care how many times you take the SAT, take them and try to do well on them.

That's not necessarily true for all schools. Some schools do want to see every single SAT score you have.

I think the best method is to take the SAT in the winter of your junior year (January or March), subject tests in the spring if necessary (May and June) and use the fall of senior year for a re-take of either if necessary. If you do end up taking it only in the fall of senior year, I would recommend registering for both October and November at the same time. That way if you need to re-take you won't have to wait until December which would be too late for early action/early decision deadlines.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking about just taking the SAT junior year (this coming school year) without my school and then deciding if I want to take it again or not. Can colleges see that you took the SAT twice or multiple times?
If the college does super-scoring, then they will only see your best section scores from each test date. If they require all scores, then they will see everything.

You can check here for the schools you're interested in:
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat-score-use-practices-list.pdf

You should technically take it at the beginning of your senior year but I took it beginning of junior, end of junior and am going to take my final one in October.

I did the same ^ Either way, not that much of a big deal to take it during junior or senior year. I just wanted to make sure I tried 3 times and gave myself multiple chances to do well. Either way, most colleges superscore so as long as you take it 3 or less times I think colleges don't really care, they just want to see your highest. I've heard after the 4th though, they begin to average scores, not sure of the validity of the statement though..

As for the question of can they see if you took them from multiple dates, I would expect possibly so. I mean if your best score from each section is a different date, they know you took it 3 or more times lol. But like I said I don't think many really care too much, at least in my experience.

I'm currently a high school junior, I go to a small private school and at my school we take the SAT senior year and during your junior year you take the PSAT. Which I think is kind of weird, don't most people take the SAT junior year and if they don't like their score they can take it again senior year? This worries me because what if I take the SAT my senior year of high school and make a low score? Then do I have time to retake it considering I'll have to apply to colleges that same year???

Take the SAT during March of your junior year since that's when the curve is the easiest.

^ i'm not sure about that, i took 2 of them in Octobers and they were pretty great.. got my best scores then

^ i'm not sure about that, i took 2 of them in Octobers and they were pretty great.. got my best scores then

I would have gotten 50pts higher if I had taken my SAT in March instead of when I did

That's not necessarily true for all schools. Some schools do want to see every single SAT score you have.

This is true, but it's usually only Ivy Leagues that ask for all of your scores. Even if the schools you're applying to don't require all of your scores, it's a good idea to send them all anyway, especially if you can get super-scored.