SAT vs. ACT

glowworm

inching along
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm new here. I took the SAT in June (right after my junior year)
and my scores were
critical reading: 740
math: 620
writing: 630
I want to take the ACT next time it is offered (in October) and wondered how it compares to the ACT. Is it easier or harder? What is the science part like? Should I not do the essay section since that was my worst part on the SAT?
What is considered a good SAT score and what is a good ACT score?
and based on my SAT score what ACT score could I expect?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

and my scores were
I want to take the ACT next time it is offered (in October) and wondered how it compares to the ACT. Is it easier or harder? What is the science part like? Should I not do the essay section since that was my worst part on the SAT?

I can't answer anything about the SAT since I never took it. For the ACT my class was told a 28 is a good score for state schools. Depending on where you want to go the definition of "good" changes. I'm not sure of how they convert sat and Act. You should have taken a test around 8th or 8th grade that gives a fairly accurate predictor of act (Mine was accurate, I haven't actually looked at researched coorelations, this is just anecdotal)

and my scores were

Conversion is here

The ACT is really an awesome test. I teach both it and the SAT and really prefer the ACT. The biggest issues students have with the ACT is that it is a very quick test. On the SAT you have roughly 1 min 20 sec per question and on the ACT you have roughly 1 minute per question. However, the ACT questions are MUCH more straightforward and do not tend to be as difficult, although the ACT assumes a little trig knowledge (SohCahToa) that the SAT doesn't. The reading passages are more straightforward, with very few line references. Basically for the reading you just have to read carefully and identify the main points.
The science section isn't really about science. It is all about data interpretation. When you take it, all the text in the passage is pretty much useless, you should just go question by question and tackle it that way. Always check with the colleges that you are applying to since they don't always use the ACT composite. I know that GATech really wants to put students in a good light and usually only looks at the math section and the writing section of the ACT and converts those. Also, they will mix and match to give you the highest possible score.

A good breakdown of the SAT vs. the ACT is here

My boss giving a lecture about the tests can be found here

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! That was very helpful, especially the SAT/ACT comparisons. I will try to take both tests this fall.

I have taken both. I think, as mentioned by someone else, time is the largest factor on the ACT. You don't have much time to ponder questions (except on Math). The English section is simple grammar. The Math section is math up to Algebra II and Geometry, I think. Reading comprehension is just straight questions about passages. Science is basically graph interpretation. The SAT is a bit different. There is no science section, of course.I think the critical reading is harder on the SAT and the math might be also, but not by much. I think, overall, the ACT is easier. It really depends on the person.

I was told that a 32+ on the ACT was good (because 32 is the 99th percentile, usually). I think 34-36 is considered elite. As for the SAT, I think a 2000 is considered good, a 2100 great, and a 2200 excellent. At top institutions I know there are several kids attaining scores of 2300+ (but this is not necessary for admission).

OP: those look like great scores to me!

I didn't study at all for the SAT nor ACT and I was able to pull off an 1870 and 29 respectively, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The science exam, from my experience, was very basic. It was more reading and understanding different graphs and tables with very little actual science knowledge necessary. There were probably two things from my biology class in freshman year that I remember seeing on there, both of which I think I did ok on, but outside of that it wasn't too bad.

Also, on the ACT there is no penalization for guessing on questions, meaning that if you guess an answer and it happens to be wrong, you lose no credit, so try to make sure you at least get an educated guess in on each of the questions. I took too long on the math section and ended up doing poorly (by my standards) on it, and I had omitted at least 4-5 questions at the end due to time constraints.

The ACT is generally regarded as easier by most students. I knew a friend who scored in the 1800s on the SAT but got a 35 on the ACT. Of course this is anecdotal but I'm simply trying to show how it has gotten that reputation with so many people :p Writing section is optional and even if you do it it's a lot more reasonable than the SAT writing essay section.

I liked the ACT more. And I believe if it is your first time taking the ACT you are required to take the writing section, which honestly was not bad.

Now, Im kinda thinking the ACT is better because it does not require you to write an essay.

For the SAT, the critical reading section is so OMG F***ing hard because English is my second language :mad:

Now, Im kinda thinking the ACT is better because it does not require you to write an essay.

For the SAT, the critical reading section is so OMG F***ing hard because English is my second language :mad:

Remember to check with the colleges you are applying to. Just because you are able to walk out and not write the essay doesn't mean that your colleges will allow that. Many colleges are going to require the essay, so just double check wherever you are thinking of applying.

Since English is your second language, the ACT will almost definitely be a better test for you since there won't be as much of a focus on vocabulary. However, you will definitely need to practice to make sure your timing is right since the ACT is a very fast test and could trip up someone who isn't 100% proficient at English.

Also, remember that the ACT seems to be accepted by almost all the midwest and SAT seems to be recommended more for the coasts. At least that's the way it was when I had to take the exams several years ago. I did take both, but got too bored during the SAT and fell asleep during part of the exam. I recommend not doing this one.