Saturated and unsat. acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry that I can't let it go, but....

One of the questions that dealt with that list of fatty acids (linoleic, stearic, etc.) asked which could transform into another one using H2 and Pd (I think). I looked at that question for some time and for the life of me, couldn't even add up the carbons correctly.

Anyone remember that one?

Members don't see this ad.

didnt it ask whichh one could NOT be made into the specific fatty acid using H2 and pd? Anyway...the fatty acid you were trying to make had 17 carbons i think....and one of the choice answers had 15 carbons or 16..cant rememer...so that one was the right answer.

Yea that one was annoying. I think I put D, its was one of the linoleic (sp?) acids, there were two acids starting with L. Complete guess though, didn't know what the hell was going on.

I had from AT also. Anyone else remember that one?

I had form AT too. I think I put Lineolic acid (think it was D). It was the one that had the most double bonds I think, and it had fewer carbons. Can't really remember.... I think I blocked most of form AT out :mad: .

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i had AT too....that one was definitely choice a, cuz it didnt have enough carbons to qualify.........also, did you think that AT was reallllyyyy tuff. How did u do on that genetics questions, OIC/OIC question...man, it was terrible.

In one fof the above posts you guys mention a 15 C chain.. I only counted evens for all chains? in fact, that was what I put for the first question in the section.. anyone else?

peace,
biffer

I counted all the Carbon chains also and yes they were all even. Didn't make sense.

I am hoping the lac Operon passage was experimental, they may have been just using to prepare for the April '03 changes.

Originally posted by Samoa
It was the one that started with "p". I can't remember the name now. And yes, they all had even numbers of carbons. I think that was another one of the questions.

yeup, you're right samoa........it was palmitic acid.....it had i think 2 less carbons then the rest of them.......definitely it was choice A.

nero

duh... what was I thinking with the double bond thing... I can't really remember what I put for that question now. Hopefully it wasn't the one with the double bonds.

I agree with Nero. The idea of that question was to simply count the number of carbons in the fatty acids . . . the structures made it a little difficult. Three out of the four choices had 18 C, while only one of them had 16 C. So it was that one, which I think is A, at least that's what Nero said.

I'll go ahead and pile on here.

You guys are right about the correct answer having a different number of carbons. Freak is correct on this one.

Also fatty acids are always even numbered chains usually 16-18 carbons long.

There was also a question in this passage about esterification with glycerol.

Oh yeah I had form AG and this passage was on there.

Originally posted by conure
I'll go ahead and pile on here.

You guys are right about the correct answer having a different number of carbons. Freak is correct on this one.

Also fatty acids are always even numbered chains usually 16-18 carbons long.

There was also a question in this passage about esterification with glycerol.

Oh yeah I had form AG and this passage was on there.

Yes, it is what I noticed too. all the acids on the list were even, 16, 18 carbons.

H2/Pd breaks a double bond and changes the compound into an alkane. The correct answer was the one with no double bonds because it asked which one would NOT be transformed.