saturated field?

Started by peduncle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peduncle

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Radiology soon to becomed too saturated? and if so, what are the consequences?
 
Lets see:

- imaging utilization is rising
- productivity gains through PACS and teleradiology are finite
- supply of incoming radiologists has yet to reach the level pre 1994
- age distribution of practicing radiologists will lead to a stable level of retirements

The only factor working the other direction:
- increase of self-referred clinician imaging.

I don't see a reason why the market should saturate.

There might be further cuts in imaging reimbursement on the horizon, but for the labor market I am not worried. It won't be as crazy as it was 2-3 years ago, but good jobs will be out there.
 
f_w said:
Lets see:

- imaging utilization is rising
- productivity gains through PACS and teleradiology are finite
- supply of incoming radiologists has yet to reach the level pre 1994
- age distribution of practicing radiologists will lead to a stable level of retirements

The only factor working the other direction:
- increase of self-referred clinician imaging.

I don't see a reason why the market should saturate.

There might be further cuts in imaging reimbursement on the horizon, but for the labor market I am not worried. It won't be as crazy as it was 2-3 years ago, but good jobs will be out there.

I think that increased imaging utilization is one of the strongest factors, and it still has enormous growth potential. The field is not likely to become saturated soon.