Saturation and salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halfdolphy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I live in NYC.

Salary is a major concern for me. I could almost say that it is 90% of why I wanna go into dentistry.

I heard some dentists make about 150k right after d-school and the worst ones still make ~80k. I live in NYC (pretty saturated huh?) and I guess I expect to make ~100k.

Im also interested in banking but I graduated with a BS in BIO in 2015.

I know d-school is expensive. Is it worth it??

I shadowed dentists before. I can't say Im super excited about working in peoples mouth. At best I could say that I tolerate it.

What are some pros (good salayr+ lifestyle)and cons?

Is the salary of dentists really that great????? Even after u factor in tuition (I won't have to pay interests on tuition b/c my family can pay them)

SO LOST. IDK IF I SHOULD go into dentistry or not...

even though i wanna go into banking i have no internships and no business degree so idk how hard that route is....

HELP?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I live in NYC.

Salary is a major concern for me. I could almost say that it is 90% of why I wanna go into dentistry.

I heard some dentists make about 150k right after d-school and the worst ones still make ~80k. I live in NYC (pretty saturated huh?) and I guess I expect to make ~100k.

I shadowed dentists before. I can't say Im super excited about working in peoples mouth. At best I could say that I tolerate it.

Is the salary of dentists really that great????? Even after u factor in tuition (I won't have to pay interests on tuition b/c my family can pay them)

even though i wanna go into banking i have no internships and no business degree so idk how hard that route is....

HELP?

No.

Reactions: 18 users
Why would you want to do something that you will "Tolerate" for the rest of your life. Sounds like you would be pretty miserable.
Go into banking.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, does anyone truly enjoy working in smelly/disgusting mouths?

The golden age is over. Clinicians have shifted their focus on their community--> hence, community health outreach programs. And you will be seeing a lot more of it.

If you care about your salary, I dont understand why you WOULD NOT choose to become a banker. Base salary of any banker is 6 figures easily but you have to remember that Bankers do not work for their salary... They work for their bonuses. Why? Because bonuses exceed their yearly income by 2,3,4,5 fold (take your pick depending on the company and position you hold.)
If you want to become a dentist because of the stable income (supposedly) and that you know how to run a business (managing your hygienist, finance director, accountant and family) then this is for you! I encourage you to shadow and gain more experience of what a dentist is and how they run a business. Enjoy :)

Hey guys I live in NYC.

HELP?

Would you want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to tolerate people with nasty, smelly, disgusting, infected, pus-filled mouths for 40 years?

Reactions: 9 users
The golden age is over. Clinicians have shifted their focus on their community--> hence, community health outreach programs. And you will be seeing a lot more of it.

If you care about your salary, I dont understand why you WOULD NOT choose to become a banker. Base salary of any banker is 6 figures easily but you have to remember that Bankers do not work for their salary... They work for their bonuses. Why? Because bonuses exceed their yearly income by 2,3,4,5 fold (take your pick depending on the company and position you hold.)
If you want to become a dentist because of the stable income (supposedly) and that you know how to run a business (managing your hygienist, finance director, accountant and family) then this is for you! I encourage you to shadow and gain more experience of what a dentist is and how they run a business. Enjoy :)

Its harder to break into banking than getting into dental school.

Any idea on how I should break into banking?

But yeah I think business may be the better fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you take any business classes in school? I've heard the business/banking world is all about connections. You'd probably want to take some classes and/or find someone to get you an internship somewhere and work your way up. Good luck!

This is a pre-dental forum. Not pre-banking.

Reactions: 5 users

Get into a Top 10 MBA, get your Series 6, Series 63.
From there you will have a better idea of what to do and who to talk to.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct. It is hard to break into any professional career.
You graduated and being a recent graduate you really did lose your chance to "network" with all your fellow peers and mentors. College is about academics and networking. That is all. It is not about discovering yourself or who you want to be. You find friends, they hook you up with jobs in their department and some move on. Now, your best case to pursue a Master's in Business Administration (or something along that line) Because you are a recent graduate, you still do have access to your school's job opportunities listing. Look through that page.

Apply for internship programs such as the Franklin Templeton program. They train you for a year and you choose your field after that year (banking, financing, investments...)
Move up the ladder and enjoy being called a banker at New York's Financial District making well in excess of $500K

Lol...pretty sad, not sure why I'm answering but what the heck.

What exactly do you know about investment banking? Do you know about valuation/modeling, pitch books, working 100 hours a week on excel with extreme stress & lack of sleep? Do you know anything about the world of finance? Career progression? Doesn't seem so since you have no background in finance, no degree, no experience.

How is it that out of all possible careers you've singled out dentistry and investment banking... two completely different fields?

I get it.. you're trying to figure out what the easiest course of action is to wealth with minimal work input. I get it.

You want lifestyle? Not a chance in real finance... The ones that succeed sacrifice a portion or all of their lives to reach the money and
"power" that they've so wholeheartedly desired.

You want income? Finance is the way to go. The ceiling is practically limitless. Any qualified investor will tell you that becoming a dentist is a terrible investment if return is what you seek.

"I shadowed dentists before. I can't say Im super excited about working in peoples mouth. At best I could say that I tolerate it."

Let me get this straight. You don't enjoy or have any interest in dentistry. You don't have a desire to actually be a doctor (helping others). "Ehh, I guess I can tolerate being a dentist if it means making 250k while working twice a week!" - that's you right?

Get out of this profession now. You are completely unfit for dentistry and doing it for all the wrong reasons. With this attitude will most likely not succeed.

Figure out your strengths/weaknesses. Find something you'd actually enjoy to do and be good at. Seriously think about what you want to do for the rest of your life man. You ever received a paycheck? You feel happy for about 1 minute and move on. If you're at a terrible job that you loathe, that paycheck will not make you happy. You will still have to wake up every damn morning and go to work. Imagine the feeling of dreading what you do but being stuck on a daily basis. Do you think you'd be a happy person? Do you think you'd be successful? Not a shot.

Also, you really should shadow a dentist if you have any true interest in the profession. Because I can bet that you've never been in a dental office as an observer.

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Seems like OP should just figure out what he enjoys doing, find a career in it, and marry rich

Reactions: 1 users
Since I have worked at an Investment Bank, I can help guide you on the best way through the front door.

Step 1) Enroll for the BBA in Finance at Baruch (Don't listen to all these folks with no experience tell you that you need to have a daddy who is a managing director at UBS or a degree from an IVY. It would certainly help, but its not a prerequisite. I have many friends from Baruch that are now in large bulge brackets.. its doable, but you have to work very hard.)

Step 2) Join the investment banking clubs. (The kids are all shooting for IB and they have a good network. You'll learn a ton and gain leadership exp.)

Step 3) Alumni Network (Using Baruch's alumni network, reach out to everyone you can in IB or related fields)

Step 4) Internships (Take paid and unpaid internships in anything remotely resembling banking) Apply for a summer analyst position in your junior year.

Step 5) Career fairs, more networking, etc...

Step 6) Apply

Go into tech. Work at google. Good 120k salary, nice benefits. Do the physician assistant prereqs while in undergrad as well. After working at google, go get an MBA and get some job. Or if you don't want to be an MBA after working at google, then go to a physician assitant school for only 2 yrs and be a psychiatry PA, (psychiatry salaries are increasing). Should be an easy 150k job with benefits.

Dentistry sux and I'm already in dental school lol

If salary is far and away your main concern, then you should probably look elsewhere. There are probably other ways for you to make as much money doing something you actually like. Dentistry, like any career choice, has its challenges, and without a passion or strong interest in what you do, you'll probably be miserable. There has to be more than just a financial incentive to get through those obstacles and give you a sense of satisfaction.

People are kinda bashing OP for his honest thoughts and intentions, which I see too much of here on SDN now. Get off your high horse thinking that your reasoning to get into the field is the correct and moral reason to get into it.

I've met many dentist who say they went into it for the money, in fact the very first dentist I shadowed I asked him why dentistry ? his response; "when I was 10 my moms' friend drove around a brand new '66 mustang, and I asked him one day what he did for a living, yep it was dentistry so from then on that's all I wanted to become"...
He is beyond successful with many practices and alllllll his patients love him. Dentistry is more of patient contact I believe, yes youre looking into peoples mouth and you have to be good, but that's what dental school is for, helping you become good, and then great after years of real world practice.

The success doesn't follow if you LOVE working with teeth, if you think about it day and night and can't wait to look into that mouth the next morning wondering what horrible mistakes the patient made to get to the decay they have. That won't make you successful by any means, you have to put in the work, after all, it is 50% dentistry, 50% business, so saying that IB (business pretty much) is on the other spectrum of dentistry... that's way off, they actually complement each other if you want to succeed in dental world (what i have seen so far).

So by telling OP to get out of dental field, you don't know what you're getting into, theres easier ways to make this amount of income.... Please tell the op AND me what other ways honestly, finance is sooooo saturated along with most business fields, tech... don't even get me started on tech, i've never heard a more broad subject than 'tech'.
Dentistry might not be in its golden age anymore, but it's definitely an avenue to provide "a practically limitless ceiling", and if not, at least a more than decent income, and yes even compared to finance majors; which is probably averaged out (you can't just compare to wall street workers) to about 70k a year

So OP, while your intentions are unorthodox, that doesn't mean you don't have a bright future in dentistry! Doesn't mean you won't enjoy working with your hands and helping people, because shadowing doesn't show you that gratification, only doing the work yourself does.

Reactions: 2 users
People are kinda bashing OP for his honest thoughts and intentions, which I see too much of here on SDN now. Get off your high horse thinking that your reasoning to get into the field is the correct and moral reason to get into it.

I've met many dentist who say they went into it for the money, in fact the very first dentist I shadowed I asked him why dentistry ? his response; "when I was 10 my moms' friend drove around a brand new '66 mustang, and I asked him one day what he did for a living, yep it was dentistry so from then on that's all I wanted to become"...
He is beyond successful with many practices and alllllll his patients love him. Dentistry is more of patient contact I believe, yes youre looking into peoples mouth and you have to be good, but that's what dental school is for, helping you become good, and then great after years of real world practice.

The success doesn't follow if you LOVE working with teeth, if you think about it day and night and can't wait to look into that mouth the next morning wondering what horrible mistakes the patient made to get to the decay they have. That won't make you successful by any means, you have to put in the work, after all, it is 50% dentistry, 50% business, so saying that IB (business pretty much) is on the other spectrum of dentistry... that's way off, they actually complement each other if you want to succeed in dental world (what i have seen so far).

So by telling OP to get out of dental field, you don't know what you're getting into, theres easier ways to make this amount of income.... Please tell the op AND me what other ways honestly, finance is sooooo saturated along with most business fields, tech... don't even get me started on tech, i've never heard a more broad subject than 'tech'.
Dentistry might not be in its golden age anymore, but it's definitely an avenue to provide "a practically limitless ceiling", and if not, at least a more than decent income, and yes even compared to finance majors; which is probably averaged out (you can't just compare to wall street workers) to about 70k a year

So OP, while your intentions are unorthodox, that doesn't mean you don't have a bright future in dentistry! Doesn't mean you won't enjoy working with your hands and helping people, because shadowing doesn't show you that gratification, only doing the work yourself does.
OP said, "even though i wanna go into banking i have no internships and no business degree so idk how hard that route is...."
So that's why people are trying to help him go into banking....

I mean if OP wants a big fat paycheck he should go into medicine. I hear those neurosurgeon guys make bank. But who wants to work on slimy disgusting brains all day.
amirite?

I mean if OP wants a big fat paycheck he should go into medicine. I hear those neurosurgeon guys make bank. But who wants to work on slimy disgusting brains all day.
amirite?
I hear they take about 8 - 10 years after 4 years of medical school. But who wants to be well off financially in your late 20s and early 30s. amirite?

OP said, "even though i wanna go into banking i have no internships and no business degree so idk how hard that route is...."
So that's why people are trying to help him go into banking....
Some people were, yeah I wasn't criticizing them. Others were condescending and sarcastic.

I hear they take about 8 - 10 years after 4 years of medical school. But who wants to be well off financially in your late 20s and early 30s. amirite?
I mean if OP is basing his career choice solely on salary i'd say medicine would be better.

Some people were, yeah I wasn't criticizing them. Others were condescending and sarcastic.
That's probably because people post this **** all the time. Yes, salary is important to consider, but it is not the only thing to consider. For example, dentistry is hands on and many fields, like finance, are not. OP seems to really dislike the aspects of dentistry aside from the salary. If I said "I don't like the field of engineering, but I heard it makes good money. Should I go into engineering?" Would you still tell me to do it? If yes, then we have fundamentally different views on life. I believe that if you find something you're good at that you enjoy doing and are determined and hardworking, money will follow. If OP really wants to go into finance and will work hard do what he should be doing, I'm sure he'll be happier than if he went into dentistry.

Reactions: 6 users
That's probably because people post this **** all the time. Yes, salary is important to consider, but it is not the only thing to consider. For example, dentistry is hands on and many fields, like finance, are not. OP seems to really dislike the aspects of dentistry aside from the salary. If I said "I don't like the field of engineering, but I heard it makes good money. Should I go into engineering?" Would you still tell me to do it? If yes, then we have fundamentally different views on life. I believe that if you find something you're good at that you enjoy doing and are determined and hardworking, money will follow. If OP really wants to go into finance and will work hard do what he should be doing, I'm sure he'll be happier than if he went into dentistry.
You're right, I agree with that as well. But how do you know he wouldn't enjoy being a dentist actually? For that matter, how can OP know. Shadowing is just the scraping the surface, I don't even know if I would enjoy it or not. Shadowing for me was to see myself in their shoes; I knew I wouldn't enjoy watching them do all the work, I still don't. I enjoy seeing and learning the business aspect, the patient and staff interactions, and the environment, and sometimes the work they do. But I'll never know if I truly like it or dislike it until I try it. I'll also won't know if I am good or bad at it. Thats my opinion at least.

And I don't think it's posted all the time, I frequent here, maybe not as much as you, but I don't recall recurring post or at least enough to bother me.

You're right, I agree with that as well. But how do you know he wouldn't enjoy being a dentist actually? For that matter, how can OP know. Shadowing is just the scraping the surface, I don't even know if I would enjoy it or not. Shadowing for me was to see myself in their shoes; I knew I wouldn't enjoy watching them do all the work, I still don't. I enjoy seeing and learning the business aspect, the patient and staff interactions, and the environment, and sometimes the work they do. But I'll never know if I truly like it or dislike it until I try it. I'll also won't know if I am good or bad at it. Thats my opinion at least.

And I don't think it's posted all the time, I frequent here, maybe not as much as you, but I don't recall recurring post or at least enough to bother me.
I can't know that I guess. I (and I'm guessing others) just went off the original comments that made it seem like he would hate it. Ok and sure it's not every day, but this isn't the first time. And this post seemed extra in-your-face about salary worries. So in a way, it was kind of refreshing lol. I hope OP will figure everything out soon

Since I have worked at an Investment Bank, I can help guide you on the best way through the front door.

Step 1) Enroll for the BBA in Finance at Baruch (Don't listen to all these folks with no experience tell you that you need to have a daddy who is a managing director at UBS or a degree from an IVY. It would certainly help, but its not a prerequisite. I have many friends from Baruch that are now in large bulge brackets.. its doable, but you have to work very hard.)

Step 2) Join the investment banking clubs. (The kids are all shooting for IB and they have a good network. You'll learn a ton and gain leadership exp.)

Step 3) Alumni Network (Using Baruch's alumni network, reach out to everyone you can in IB or related fields)

Step 4) Internships (Take paid and unpaid internships in anything remotely resembling banking) Apply for a summer analyst position in your junior year.

Step 5) Career fairs, more networking, etc...

Step 6) Apply
Why do a second undergrad when he could do an MBA?

And how is that a better return on investment?
4 years medical school, lets say same debt as dental. 1 year internship, 3 years general surgery residency, 5 years specializing... that's 9 years after medical school of hard hard work, making 60k a year as a resident, theeeeeen after probably more training you will land a good gig, making 200k first year, then 300k, then big bucks.
Now for dentistry, 4 years dental school. Then work, lets say 1 - 2 years corporate (100k/year) to get you capital and experience for private practice. Buy into practice (first couple years not going to be making full potential but a nice 150k averaged/ year) within 2 years. Already that 4 years with twice as much salary AND time than the resident. Now when your practice takes off and if you're efficient and liked, 300k is not unheard of. Say that 7 to 8 years out. You have way more capital than the resident who just finished, and those 7 to 8 years you had of extra time, if you are savvy, you'd live frugally and invest it well, you're looking at an undeniably better ROI than neurosurgery. This isn't taking into consideration that after 7 to 8 years you have capital, experience, and marketing to open up one or more practices, which will put you at the pay rate, if not more, of a neurosurgeon... Now of course this is hypothetical and only a few dentist can accomplish this, but then again, only a few medical students become neurosurgeons
Edit: idk how to quote quotes

4 years medical school, lets say same debt as dental. 1 year internship, 3 years general surgery residency, 5 years specializing... that's 9 years after medical school of hard hard work, making 60k a year as a resident, theeeeeen after probably more training you will land a good gig, making 200k first year, then 300k, then big bucks.
Now for dentistry, 4 years dental school. Then work, lets say 1 - 2 years corporate (100k/year) to get you capital and experience for private practice. Buy into practice (first couple years not going to be making full potential but a nice 150k averaged/ year) within 2 years. Already that 4 years with twice as much salary AND time than the resident. Now when your practice takes off and if you're efficient and liked, 300k is not unheard of. Say that 7 to 8 years out. You have way more capital than the resident who just finished, and those 7 to 8 years you had of extra time, if you are savvy, you'd live frugally and invest it well, you're looking at an undeniably better ROI than neurosurgery. This isn't taking into consideration that after 7 to 8 years you have capital, experience, and marketing to open up one or more practices, which will put you at the pay rate, if not more, of a neurosurgeon... Now of course this is hypothetical and only a few dentist can accomplish this, but then again, only a few medical students become neurosurgeons
Lol. Here's the point i'm trying to get across. There are plenty of ways to make money. Before spending 100k+ a year on dental school to find out you don't like dentistry (Although the OP already said he doesn't).OP Might as well find something he would like better. Why would OP torture himself working for 40 years in somebody's "smelly/disgusting" mouth when he doesn't have to.

Lol. Here's the point i'm trying to get across. There are plenty of ways to make money. Before spending 100k+ a year on dental school to find out you don't like dentistry (Although the OP already said he doesn't).OP Might as well find something he would like better. Why would OP torture himself working for 40 years in somebody's "smelly/disgusting" mouth when he doesn't have to.
Because maybe to him, owning a business, having time for other endeavors (lots of time) and interacting with patients might offset tolerating "smelly/disgusting" mouths. And if you play your cards right, you can retire earlier than 40 years of work.
What i'm trying to get across is that I do not believe there are enough opportunities, to get money, to go around saying, "there are easier ways of getting money" than dentistry. It's not to say dentistry is easy, i mean Texas accepts like 300 students and I have to compete with thousands of others, then get out to the world where many dentist are already in their niche, but once you get there, you're more than financially safe, and are making more than probably like 90% of homes in america

Because maybe to him, owning a business, having time for other endeavors (lots of time) and interacting with patients might offset tolerating "smelly/disgusting" mouths. And if you play your cards right, you can retire earlier than 40 years of work.
What i'm trying to get across is that I do not believe there are enough opportunities, to get money, to go around saying, "there are easier ways of getting money" than dentistry. It's not to say dentistry is easy, i mean Texas accepts like 300 students and I have to compete with thousands of others, then get out to the world where many dentist are already in their niche, but once you get there, you're more than financially safe, and are making more than probably like 90% of homes in america
To each his own I suppose? I personally wouldn't knowingly go into a field that I dislike spend 4 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars with a hope that at the end of it all i'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
To each his own I suppose? I personally wouldn't knowingly go into a field that I dislike spend 4 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars with a hope that at the end of it all i'll enjoy it.
You just described college and workforce.
Welcome to the American dream

Reactions: 2 users
There are so many things wrong here I don't know where to start.
You took the best possible scenario for a dentist (ie: multiple practices) and the worst possible scenario for neuro. First off, the residency is 7 years. Second, it's not unheard of for dentists to make 300K, it's also not unheard of for neurosurgeons to make >$1M. Third, medical school does not cost the same amount as dental.
@Advance is right, there are easier ways to make money than dental school. It's the path WE chose, doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP was set on becoming an MD from their post history. There was a transition from MD to dental at some point in July/August of last year.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...axing-life-in-medicine.1147257/#post-16730385

@Halfdolphy , you seem to be chasing a particular lifestyle and prestige. Remember that healthcare is about treating human beings first and foremost. Physicians and dentists make a decent salary because they are entrusted with the care of human lives and they are ultimately responsible when their treatment plan fails or their patient becomes sick. That is a lot of responsibility. If you are more interested in simply making money as you stated in your first post, then there are other (easier) ways to accomplish that.

Last edited:
There are so many things wrong here I don't know where to start.
You took the best possible scenario for a dentist (ie: multiple practices) and the worst possible scenario for neuro. First off, the residency is 7 years. Second, it's not unheard of for dentists to make 300K, it's also not unheard of for neurosurgeons to make >$1M. Third, medical school does not cost the same amount as dental.
@Advance is right, there are easier ways to make money than dental school. It's the path WE chose, doesn't mean it's for everyone.
No, the best possible scenario is one owning multiple (5 or more) and making >$1M, I took an example from the Dental Forums where a dentist talks about his first 5 years, and I was just doing stuff off of memory and the little i've looked up neurosurgery specialty, so i was spitballing, wasn't trying to be too factual