Saul T. Wilson scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lavaniel

Veterinary Student AUCVM
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a first year vet student who is very interesting in working for the USDA. I have come across the Saul T. Wilson scholarship and it seems like an amazing opportunity to get my foot in the door at the USDA VMO program. Is there anyone here who has had experience with the program? I am very curious about the process, what it is like, where you traveled if at all, and how competitive it is. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I am a first year vet student who is very interesting in working for the USDA. I have come across the Saul T. Wilson scholarship and it seems like an amazing opportunity to get my foot in the door at the USDA VMO program. Is there anyone here who has had experience with the program? I am very curious about the process, what it is like, where you traveled if at all, and how competitive it is. Thanks in advance!
You can pm me for specifics if you want, but I'll answer your questions too in case others search this topic in the future.

There are also two other USDA scholarships - the Chester Gibson with Animal Care and the Adel Malak with FSIS. There are also non-scholarship internships that go up every year, some are just for summer and some are Pathways internships. Pathways internships don't pay for school, but you get to work for USDA during school breaks the entire time you are in school without having to reapply every year. Pathways internships also don't guarantee you a job when you graduate, but if there are jobs available, you can convert into a permanent position without having to compete for one. I did two internships with USDA before I got accepted as a scholarship intern (one general summer one, and then was in the Pathways program) which definitely helped my chances of being accepted.

The process for USDA internships are that they will post on USAJobs. You will have about 1 week to get everything turned in before it closes. I recommend setting up a job alert for them so that you don't miss them when they go up.

Also, for the scholarships you will have to submit letters of recommendation for the application - I recommend you line those up now and explain that once the application opens there is a very small window to submit (so that they can write it in advance, or be prepared to write it on very short notice.)

The scholarships are competitive. I don't know how many people generally apply every year, but I'd guess at least a hundred, maybe a few hundred. They only accept about 5-6 people per year.

As for travel - a little bit, but not much. I spent some time in a different state to work on a disease outbreak two years ago. COVID made it so that I couldn't travel at all this year which has been a real bummer because this year is my only real opportunity to do so. I was hoping to spend some time at a couple of ports and with an office abroad this year, but COVID made it so that I couldn't go to any of them. Usually people have the chance to go to at least a few sites that aren't their home duty station, but you will spend the majority of the time working for your home unit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can pm me for specifics if you want, but I'll answer your questions too in case others search this topic in the future.

There are also two other USDA scholarships - the Chester Gibson with Animal Care and the Adel Malak with FSIS. There are also non-scholarship internships that go up every year, some are just for summer and some are Pathways internships. Pathways internships don't pay for school, but you get to work for USDA during school breaks the entire time you are in school without having to reapply every year. Pathways internships also don't guarantee you a job when you graduate, but if there are jobs available, you can convert into a permanent position without having to compete for one. I did two internships with USDA before I got accepted as a scholarship intern (one general summer one, and then was in the Pathways program) which definitely helped my chances of being accepted.

The process for USDA internships are that they will post on USAJobs. You will have about 1 week to get everything turned in before it closes. I recommend setting up a job alert for them so that you don't miss them when they go up.

Also, for the scholarships you will have to submit letters of recommendation for the application - I recommend you line those up now and explain that once the application opens there is a very small window to submit (so that they can write it in advance, or be prepared to write it on very short notice.)

The scholarships are competitive. I don't know how many people generally apply every year, but I'd guess at least a hundred, maybe a few hundred. They only accept about 5-6 people per year.

As for travel - a little bit, but not much. I spent some time in a different state to work on a disease outbreak two years ago. COVID made it so that I couldn't travel at all this year which has been a real bummer because this year is my only real opportunity to do so. I was hoping to spend some time at a couple of ports and with an office abroad this year, but COVID made it so that I couldn't go to any of them. Usually people have the chance to go to at least a few sites that aren't their home duty station, but you will spend the majority of the time working for your home unit.
Do you know how many of those applicants/awardees are veterinary students? I can see there being a lot of pre-veterinary students applying for a resume boost, but for me I'd be strictly interested in a career start.

I also want to thank you for your very thorough response!

Do you know how many of those applicants/awardees are veterinary students? I can see there being a lot of pre-veterinary students applying for a resume boost, but for me I'd be strictly interested in a career start.

I also want to thank you for your very thorough response!

For the STW? Everyone has to either be a veterinary student or already accepted into veterinary school. The strings attached to the scholarship are that you agree to work as a VMO for the USDA after you finish vet school. (So they can't accept someone who won't have a DVM because you wouldn't be able to fulfill the terms of the contract.) If you don't go to work for them as a VMO after you graduate, or if you don't complete your DVM for some reason, you have to pay back all of the scholarship money. (Same for the Gibson and the Malak.)

For the Pathways scholarships, more people are accepted and you can be accepted as a lot of different types of majors (they use it to recruit VMOs, but also undergrads or grad students for IT, HR, legal, etc.). People could potentially use that as a resume boost because you aren't required to work for them after you graduate, but to my understanding you'd only be competing for positions with other vet students (or pre-vets that already have an acceptance).

For the STW? Everyone has to either be a veterinary student or already accepted into veterinary school. The strings attached to the scholarship are that you agree to work as a VMO for the USDA after you finish vet school. (So they can't accept someone who won't have a DVM because you wouldn't be able to fulfill the terms of the contract.) If you don't go to work for them as a VMO after you graduate, or if you don't complete your DVM for some reason, you have to pay back all of the scholarship money. (Same for the Gibson and the Malak.)

For the Pathways scholarships, more people are accepted and you can be accepted as a lot of different types of majors (they use it to recruit VMOs, but also undergrads or grad students for IT, HR, legal, etc.). People could potentially use that as a resume boost because you aren't required to work for them after you graduate, but to my understanding you'd only be competing for positions with other vet students (or pre-vets that already have an acceptance).
I thought it was interesting when the brochure mentioned undergrads, so what you say absolutely makes sense.

What characteristics of an application would you say are particularly sought after in an applicant? Cumulative GPA? Vet school GPA? Research? Extracurriculars? Clinical experience? Or is it strongly about LoRs?

Just wanna say, I thought the scholarship name was a joke (say it out loud... "Saul T. Wilson") so have a great day and good luck, just thought it was quite humorous :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I thought it was interesting when the brochure mentioned undergrads, so what you say absolutely makes sense.

What characteristics of an application would you say are particularly sought after in an applicant? Cumulative GPA? Vet school GPA? Research? Extracurriculars? Clinical experience? Or is it strongly about LoRs?

There's a whole scoring point scheme. I honestly don't know what the breakdown is though, I just remember seeing my numerical score at some point in my paperwork. So.. anything could be important?

GPA, essays, letters of rec, overall experience (work or volunteer) probably the most important. My vet school is P/F only so they wouldn't have been able to evaluate vet school GPA for me.

I didn't list any research on my application, but I feel like that would get coded as part of your overall work experience. Certainly won't hurt, especially if it's in something related to what they do.

I don't think I listed much in the way of extracurriculars really because I don't do much outside of school and work. I am a second career student so I have years of work experience to show things like leadership or what have you. (I do some volunteering for things I care about or am interested in, but I'm not particularly active in any clubs, for example.) I do have a lot of government experience specifically because almost all of my work experience was for the government before vet school.

Clinical experience... I also don't really have any of that. (Now I'm starting to wonder how I got into vet school let alone got this scholarship. :laugh:)
I think having large animal / herd / population medicine / infectious disease experience in any capacity is helpful for getting any USDA job. I had two USDA internships (FSIS and APHIS) and volunteer experience with state veterinary programs before applying. It was probably pretty clear based on my resume and essays that this is a career that I want for the long haul, and didn't apply just for the scholarship money. I'm also a dual DVM/MPH, and the MPH part is helpful too I think.

There's a whole scoring point scheme. I honestly don't know what the breakdown is though, I just remember seeing my numerical score at some point in my paperwork. So.. anything could be important?

GPA, essays, letters of rec, overall experience (work or volunteer) probably the most important. My vet school is P/F only so they wouldn't have been able to evaluate vet school GPA for me.

I didn't list any research on my application, but I feel like that would get coded as part of your overall work experience. Certainly won't hurt, especially if it's in something related to what they do.

I don't think I listed much in the way of extracurriculars really because I don't do much outside of school and work. I am a second career student so I have years of work experience to show things like leadership or what have you. (I do some volunteering for things I care about or am interested in, but I'm not particularly active in any clubs, for example.) I do have a lot of government experience specifically because almost all of my work experience was for the government before vet school.

Clinical experience... I also don't really have any of that. (Now I'm starting to wonder how I got into vet school let alone got this scholarship. :laugh:)
I think having large animal / herd / population medicine / infectious disease experience in any capacity is helpful for getting any USDA job. I had two USDA internships (FSIS and APHIS) and volunteer experience with state veterinary programs before applying. It was probably pretty clear based on my resume and essays that this is a career that I want for the long haul, and didn't apply just for the scholarship money. I'm also a dual DVM/MPH, and the MPH part is helpful too I think.
OMG I am so jealous you all have P/F! Again, I want to thank you so much for your time. I hope this post helps anyone thinking about applying :). You are obviously a highly qualified person regardless of if you don't fit the mold of a traditional student so definitely don't question yourself about getting in or receiving the scholarship! Thanks again 😊, this has been an amazing source of information!

I am also interested in this scholarship option!
How many letters of rec do they require? Since the application is due quickly, I wanted to ask my people now so that they have time to complete it and have it ready to submit once the application opens up.

How many letters of rec do they require? Since the application is due quickly, I wanted to ask my people now so that they have time to complete it and have it ready to submit once the application opens up.
I believe two letters were required

Reactions: 1 user

I applied for the STW this past summer. I have not started working yet, but I will start my USDA internship in the summer of 2021. For my application, I needed 3 letters of recommendation. The requirements specifically were "three (3) letters of recommendation from college officials (such as professors, deans, or counselors) and/or work supervisors." I also had to write a 1.5 page essay, but there was no interview. The job posting on USAJobs was open for 10 days, so I had to get my LoRs in a very short period of time.

I applied for the STW this past summer. I have not started working yet, but I will start my USDA internship in the summer of 2021. For my application, I needed 3 letters of recommendation. The requirements specifically were "three (3) letters of recommendation from college officials (such as professors, deans, or counselors) and/or work supervisors." I also had to write a 1.5 page essay, but there was no interview. The job posting on USAJobs was open for 10 days, so I had to get my LoRs in a very short period of time.
Now that you say this, it was three letters of recommendation for me too. I used a professor, a dean, and a former supervisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification! This will help me secure my LoRs now!

For the STW? Everyone has to either be a veterinary student or already accepted into veterinary school.
This is incorrect.

They generally announce the STW scholarship on USAJobs in the spring (March/April). It's usually in 2 separate postings, as a GS4/5, and a GS7/9. The 4/5 is aimed at undergraduate students, while the 7/9 is for accepted and current vet students. As long as you have no gaps in your education, from undergrad to vet school, you CAN continue the scholarship all the way up the GS ladder.

Source: I'm a 2 time STW scholarship recipient, at both the GS 4 and 7 levels.

Britzen did a good job with everything else though!!

Protips - This is not advertised well. You can set up email reminders on USAJobs when certain job criteria things are posted. Or you can just troll it every day like I do.
Make sure you thoroughly read all the selection criteria in the job posting. (IE if you need a conferred degree to qualify, don't be a ******* and upload a transcript that doesn't show conferred [still salty about this]).
If you're prior military, you're a shoe-in.

Also, I've never gotten to see the stats on how many people apply, but I know they like to target about 10 people a year for selection. That can vary based on budget and other things though. I think most recent years that I can remember had about 6 to 12.

• Wow
This is incorrect.

They generally announce the STW scholarship on USAJobs in the spring (March/April). It's usually in 2 separate postings, as a GS4/5, and a GS7/9. The 4/5 is aimed at undergraduate students, while the 7/9 is for accepted and current vet students. As long as you have no gaps in your education, from undergrad to vet school, you CAN continue the scholarship all the way up the GS ladder.

Source: I'm a 2 time STW scholarship recipient, at both the GS 4 and 7 levels.

My bad! Thanks for the correction.

I forgot they basically own your soul forever

• Haha
@brownswissfanatic @Lavaniel and any other pre-vet or current veterinary students:

The USAJOBS posting for the Saul T. Wilson Internship/Scholarship program is accepting applications again! I highly recommend applying if you're considering a job working for the federal government. You can apply as an undergraduate pre-vet student or if you're a current veterinary student.

@brownswissfanatic @Lavaniel and any other pre-vet or current veterinary students:

The USAJOBS posting for the Saul T. Wilson Internship/Scholarship program is accepting applications again! I highly recommend applying if you're considering a job working for the federal government. You can apply as an undergraduate pre-vet student or if you're a current veterinary student.

Hi @alleycat03, I saw previously in this thread that you applied to STW a couple of summers ago and got accepted (congratulations!). How long/what was the process like after you submitted the application through USAJOBS?

Hi @alleycat03, I saw previously in this thread that you applied to STW a couple of summers ago and got accepted (congratulations!). How long/what was the process like after you submitted the application through USAJOBS?
I went back and looked at the dates, and I got the follow-up request about a month after I applied. I had a week to turn in the supplemental documents (the 3 LoRs and my essay) and then I was selected and offered a tentative position about 3 weeks to a month after that.

Keep in mind that I was hired in spring 2020 during the height of lockdown and people working remotely, so the timeline on this could've changed now that some offices are in person and some are still working remotely. The timeline could be longer or shorter now. I didn't start my job until the following summer (hired in 2020 but didn't work until 2021) so keep that in mind as well.

I hope that helped at least a little bit! If you need any clarification let me know.

I can't remember when the application window opened my year, but I think it was about a month between application and notice to move on to the next round (recommendation letters and essays). Final decisions came out about 3 months after we submitted those materials.

I can't remember when the application window opened my year, but I think it was about a month between application and notice to move on to the next round (recommendation letters and essays). Final decisions came out about 3 months after we submitted those materials.
Oh ok, gotcha. I think it might be a little bit different this year because they asked for the letter of recommendation and essay in the initial application (and we also had to take an online questionnaire). So maybe that will expedite the process, or make it longer.

Oh ok, gotcha. I think it might be a little bit different this year because they asked for the letter of recommendation and essay in the initial application (and we also had to take an online questionnaire). So maybe that will expedite the process, or make it longer.

I think they'll probably go faster this year! My year the HR changed over to a whole new system / office, so I think that contributed to a delay for us. The new HR structure is intended to make things run more smoothly.

I think they'll probably go faster this year! My year the HR changed over to a whole new system / office, so I think that contributed to a delay for us. The new HR structure is intended to make things run more smoothly.
I hope it goes faster! The constant urge to check my status is giving me vet school application flashbacks. It sounds like those USA Hire questionnaires only allow applicants above a certain score threshold to move forward to the hiring manager so I'd imagine that accelerates the process a lot!

I hope it goes faster! The constant urge to check my status is giving me vet school application flashbacks. It sounds like those USA Hire questionnaires only allow applicants above a certain score threshold to move forward to the hiring manager so I'd imagine that accelerates the process a lot!
I got an update on my application status saying I was referred. Have you heard anything?

I got an update on my application status saying I was referred. Have you heard anything?
Yes me too! I wonder how many they refer. Either way I think it’s a good sign😁

I've been checking my application every day lol. Have you heard anything else since being referred?
I have not, but I did see on the application that they expect to make decisions "approximately 40 days after the close of the announcement" which is April 5! Though I spoke with someone I know at USDA and she said the VS department is really swamped with the high path avian influenza outbreak right now and not to hold my breath on decisions. (Still hoping April 5th is the day though!)

I have not, but I did see on the application that they expect to make decisions "approximately 40 days after the close of the announcement" which is April 5! Though I spoke with someone I know at USDA and she said the VS department is really swamped with the high path avian influenza outbreak right now and not to hold my breath on decisions. (Still hoping April 5th is the day though!)
Yes! I just noticed that in the announcement yesterday. That's totally understandable with the avian influenza outbreak but I'm hoping we hear back soon as well! Fingers crossed that we both get it. I'm going to be starting vet school in the fall, and I'm currently still trying to decide where I want to go. Getting this scholarship may sway my decision.

Yes! I just noticed that in the announcement yesterday. That's totally understandable with the avian influenza outbreak but I'm hoping we hear back soon as well! Fingers crossed that we both get it. I'm going to be starting vet school in the fall, and I'm currently still trying to decide where I want to go. Getting this scholarship may sway my decision.

Check your emails, I got an email this morning from the Assistant Area Veterinarian-in-Charge WA/OR/AK region telling me I was selected!

Reactions: 3 users
Check your emails, I got an email this morning from the Assistant Area Veterinarian-in-Charge WA/OR/AK region telling me I was selected!
Congratulations!!!!! I haven't gotten an email yet, so I'm still hoping for the best and keeping my fingers crossed. Which grade did you get selected for?

Congratulations!!!!! I haven't gotten an email yet, so I'm still hoping for the best and keeping my fingers crossed. Which grade did you get selected for?

Thanks!! I hope you get good news today or hopefully next week!!

They didn't tell me what grade ( I applied to both GS5 and GS7) . Honestly they didn't tell me much, the email just said "Congratulations on being selected as a Saul T Wilson scholar! I am the Assistant AVIC for WA/OR/AK, and I am contacting you to see where you would like to do your Summer internships for the program."

If you are qualified for a GS-7, ask for a GS-7. If they offer you a GS-5 email them back and say that you are qualified for the GS-7.

It will probably default you to the lowest GS level, but you should ask for the highest one you are qualified for.

That happened to two of us for our position offers at the end of this year. They fixed it when we pointed out that we were qualified for GS-12s instead of GS-11s.

If you are qualified for a GS-7, ask for a GS-7. If they offer you a GS-5 email them back and say that you are qualified for the GS-7.

It will probably default you to the lowest GS level, but you should ask for the highest one you are qualified for.

That happened to two of us for our position offers at the end of this year. They fixed it when we pointed out that we were qualified for GS-12s instead of GS-11s.
I wish I had done what you suggested. I started at GS-4 because when I was hired I had only completed 2 years of undergrad. However, I had obtained my degree before I started actually working my position. So I was at the GS-4 level all last summer when I should've been eligible for a GS-5.

Thanks for the advice! Does this basically take up all of your summers? The person I talke to said it was based off hours, that I had to complete 640 hours by the time I graduate, I'm wondering if this means that I will have no free time at all...

In your experience, how many hours do you work, is it 40 hrs per week during breaks? Can you work during the year or is it only summer?

It's 40 hours a week during breaks. 640 hours is 16 weeks total.

I did 12 weeks one summer and took 4 weeks off to relax (summer break for my school is 16 weeks).

I also did a week or two over Christmas or spring breaks (we get 5-6 weeks off between those two breaks every year).

I also ended up doing some stuff part time during spring semester of my 3rd year because I was doing my MPH capstone project with the USDA. HR hates part time because it makes your time card weird, but it's technically possible to do part time work.

You can also do rotations with them during your clinical year. Depends on how your school is set up. I could have done 6 weeks with them if I needed to during my 4th year, but I was already done with my hours. Your school may only let you do a few weeks though. I tried to get it done before 4th year so I didn't need to stress about it.

My experience was very similar to @britzen's. I worked there for 8 weeks last summer (had 3 weeks off before it to travel and relax after graduation and 3 weeks after it to get moved and settled into my apartment for vet school). I did another 2 weeks over winter break, so I have just 6 more weeks to complete this summer. I'm planning on being there another 8 weeks, so once I have used up all of my STW pay, the office will begin using their budget to pay me instead of STW money. As long as you have at least 1 summer and a few breaks/clinical rotation openings, you should be able to get it done. I worked 8-5 M-F, so that's 40 hours a week.

My experience was very similar to @britzen's. I worked there for 8 weeks last summer (had 3 weeks off before it to travel and relax after graduation and 3 weeks after it to get moved and settled into my apartment for vet school). I did another 2 weeks over winter break, so I have just 6 more weeks to complete this summer. I'm planning on being there another 8 weeks, so once I have used up all of my STW pay, the office will begin using their budget to pay me instead of STW money. As long as you have at least 1 summer and a few breaks/clinical rotation openings, you should be able to get it done. I worked 8-5 M-F, so that's 40 hours a week.
Sounds like your office is set to pay you for extra hours, but for others on the thread:

Make sure your office can do this because it varies. The student program pays for 640 hours from its budget. After that your home office has to pay for any hours you do over that amount. My office didn't have the budget to pay me, so I couldn't work more than 640. Another student in my year was able to keep working and was able to do like 900 hours.

If you cram it all into one summer plus a few winter breaks / spring breaks / clinical rotations, you could also have a summer free to do something else, like work in a clinic or do research. I wish I had branched out in retrospect.

Sounds like your office is set to pay you for extra hours, but for others on the thread:

Make sure your office can do this because it varies. The student program pays for 640 hours from its budget. After that your home office has to pay for any hours you do over that amount. My office didn't have the budget to pay me, so I couldn't work more than 640. Another student in my year was able to keep working and was able to do like 900 hours.

If you cram it all into one summer plus a few winter breaks / spring breaks / clinical rotations, you could also have a summer free to do something else, like work in a clinic or do research. I wish I had branched out in retrospect.
Yes, just to clarify my office budgeted to pay me after I use up my STW hours. We are understaffed currently and since hiring is taking a while, they had plenty of budget to pay me after I use up the rest of my STW hours.

Thanks all for your input, this info is very helpful. One more question on how much you actually get paid. The info flyer says that the program provides "Up to $7,500 per year for undergraduate studies and up to $15,000 for graduate studies for tuition, books, tutors, and laboratory fees." How does this actually work and how do the 640 hours and pay scale fit in. I assumed it was like a scholarship each year but is it more like a job and you get paid according to your GS scale and the hours you worked?

Thanks all for your input, this info is very helpful. One more question on how much you actually get paid. The info flyer says that the program provides "Up to $7,500 per year for undergraduate studies and up to $15,000 for graduate studies for tuition, books, tutors, and laboratory fees." How does this actually work and how do the 640 hours and pay scale fit in. I assumed it was like a scholarship each year but is it more like a job and you get paid according to your GS scale and the hours you worked?
You get the scholarship money in addition to getting paid for your summer work as an intern. So it's basically a scholarship and an internship combined into one program. And for every year you accept scholarship money, you have to work for the USDA after veterinary school. If you do not accept a position with the USDA after veterinary school, then you will have to pay back the scholarship money.

You get the scholarship money in addition to getting paid for your summer work as an intern. So it's basically a scholarship and an internship combined into one program. And for every year you accept scholarship money, you have to work for the USDA after veterinary school. If you do not accept a position with the USDA after veterinary school, then you will have to pay back the scholarship money.
Thank you!

@DeeQ12 Have you had any more correspondence with the AVIC that told you were a Saul T. Wilson scholar or received any more information? I'm still waiting to hear back.. :confused:

@DeeQ12 Have you had any more correspondence with the AVIC that told you were a Saul T. Wilson scholar or received any more information? I'm still waiting to hear back.. :confused:
No I think they are really busy. I sent an email telling them where I wanted to work and then asked if there was anything else I needed to do. They took like two weeks to get back to me and said the HPAI stuff is keeping them busy. They said to just wait for someone from HR to get in touch with me about starting the paperwork and then I could decide what dates I wanted to start but its been a while....

I'm sure there is still hope. Where are you located? I think it varies by region. I am from Oregon and the woman that reached out to me was in charge of Oregon and Washington.

There's still hope. Many people who have been selected have not heard yet.
Source - USDA employee

No I think they are really busy. I sent an email telling them where I wanted to work and then asked if there was anything else I needed to do. They took like two weeks to get back to me and said the HPAI stuff is keeping them busy. They said to just wait for someone from HR to get in touch with me about starting the paperwork and then I could decide what dates I wanted to start but its been a while....

I'm sure there is still hope. Where are you located? I think it varies by region. I am from Oregon and the woman that reached out to me was in charge of Oregon and Washington.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I’m located in Michigan so a different region. I’ll just keep waiting and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the update tho!

Hello there!

I just thought I'd add to the discussion. I received a call the first week of May during my finals that I had been selected! For awhile, I did not receive any emails or official communications about the acceptance. I received my official "usdastaffingoffice" email tentative offer the end of June, and needed to submit onboarding paperwork within 5 days of receiving that email.

I think my contract activates the first week of August, but it seems to be real! I'm very grateful for the opportunity. I'm in the Tennessee region.

Reactions: 3 users
I think things were extremely delayed this year due to the HPAI response. I'd been an application reviewer in the past, but was unable to assist this year due to being deployed. HR has also been bogged down with a big hiring push for AHTs & VMOs to try and help bolster staffing nationwide. Those positions probably took priority over student positions.

For those who are offered and accept positions, send me a DM. I'll get you added into a private FB group where many generations of us congregate. They don't, or haven't, do(ne?) alot to connect folks and make a community, so we've made our own. It's a good place to bounce ideas around, see how past situations have been handled, and network with your potential future colleagues.

@alleycat03 I have a few logistic questions for you if you don't mind. What GS level are you at while you're in the pathways program? Is it a ladder position? Also, is your office near your school? And when you are done with school, can you accept a position where you are now or would you have to move? Thanks!
I started as a GS-4, because when they offered me a position I still had one year of undergrad left. I had graduated by the time I actually started my internship, so I should've probably argued for the GS-5 but I didn't know any better. I am a GS-5 now and I believe I was moved to step 2 after last summer. My office is an hour away from my school, and also an hour away from my parents' house/my hometown. It is technically commutable from either direction (and because of covid last summer I did make the commute 1 hour each way for a week). I stayed at my grandparents' house in the town that my internship was in since I did not want to commute 1 hour each direction unless I absolutely had to. During the January of 4th year, they will send out the open VMO positions that they would want to fill with STWs. I haven't gone through with that yet, so @britzen or @Teepster87 could help you if you have more questions! There's been at least one VMO position open at the office as long as I've worked there (as soon as they hire someone, someone leaves), so if I wanted to I probably could stay at that office. I would say that most students move, however I know britzen was able to stay at her internship office so it is possible.

Does anyone have a link to these scholarships? Or any ideas on when they open/close? I was accepted to vet school for fall 2027 and would love a timeline for when I should apply (if I decide to)