Saving a few$: Cooking and Med School (Tips & Recipes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tin can

Univ. of Colorado 2010!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I think we've all heard a hundred times by now that one of the best ways to save money while in school is to prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks at home. Although this has always seemed to be common sense to me, I have struggled with this advice. Living on my own, I constantly find myself in the following cycle:

1. I get motivated and excited about saving money and cooking, so I skip to the local grocery store and buy a bunch of ingredients and generally handy stuff like pasta and cereal. Then, I trudge home with 50 lbs of groceries b/c my eyes are bigger than my biceps.

2. I cook a nice meal, enjoy it, and feel good about myself.

3. I eat the same meal for +/- 4 days and grow to hate it.

4. I discover that the milk, bread, cheese, lunch meat, eggs, juice, etc. that I just bought in bulk in order to get all those fantastic savings have expired before I could use half of them! I realize that I could have bought the smaller, more expensive sizes and been just as well off.

5. I decide I've been pretty good about not eating out and treat myself to a meal...besides, everything I bought last week is now expired.

6. I secretly enjoy how quick and easy it was to eat out and become addicted to it for about a week. I then feel guilty about my wasteful spending and return to step 1.

So, I am starting this thread in hopes of collecting some grocery shopping and cooking advice, as well as some great recipes for med students on the go. While I live by myself and find it tricky to shop and cook for 1, feel free to contribute advice for those w/SO's and/or kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of people I know who successfully cook for themselves (this does not include me) will cook a whole mess of stuff on one day of the week, like Sunday, and then freeze portions for the rest of the week.
Personally, I know I could never be organized enough to do this, but it works great for them.

I totally sympathize! After college, I moved to a new city and lived alone. The first week, I went to Borders to get a new cookbook. There I was, staring at "Solo Suppers" and "Cooking for Two," I was feeling optimistic and almost got "cooking for two" but then thought, "who am I kidding?" And grabbed the cookbook for live-alone-singles. However, I quickly realized that not only are the recipes kind of time consuming, but they also require pretty fancy ingredients (I'm certainly not going to eat salmon and filet mignons everyday!).

Then I discovered this magazine called "Everyday food." It's from Martha Stewart, but not so time consuming and obsessive. It's a mini-magazine that comes once a month and is packed with recipes I can actually do! A great bonus is that often (ever other issue or so) they do a "5 meals in one bag" where they give you a shopping list for 5 meals. In addition, every issue contains a "freeze it" column, which is a recipe for some sauce or stock or base that you can freeze and reheat in various recipes. (and they follow up with 4 or 5 ways to use this frozen pre-made stuff) Anyway, there's lots of easy time-saving recipes each month, and it won't cost you a fortune. If you like cooking but have a budget (both money and time-wise) this is a really neat magazine. There is a website with recipes online which you can search to try out, but you miss out on some of the aforementioned specials of the actual magazine. (oh, and if you try to search the recipe database online, make sure you're not searching the whole martha-stewart-database, or you'll end up with lots of day-long recipes!)

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you can. I have 3 kids and I try my best to be organized and cook early in the week so it will last for two or three days, but sometimes I get lazy and do not do a thing. I am not sure how it is going to be when I add medical school this fall. but when I am on the ball, this is what I do. As soon as come home from the grocery store, I wash my vegetables and chop them up and put in the freezer. I pre-season my meats and place in the freezer this cuts down on preparation time. For rice I by the packets that you can prepare in 7 minutes (knorr packets). Meals that can be done in the crock pot are the best. Turn it on in the morning and by the time you get home for dinner it is prepared. I usually cook on Sunday, Then again on Wednesday, for Friday I take all the left overs and make a new meal. I will cook again on Saturday if I feel like it. I really only cook three days out of the week If I do what I am suppose to :idea: Another way that I save on grocery money is to grow some of my own vegetables and seasonings. Small herb gardens will grow on the window sill. Tomatoes, peppers grow very easily

I also started watching the food network and Rachel Ray's Thirty minute meal ideas are great :idea:

Sounds like the cycle I got myself into during senior year of college. I found that if I did big batches of stuff on like a sunday afternoon and froze individual portions (spaghetti sauce, soups, etc.) I could have a decent variety of food just by microwaving it and boiling some pasta/rice etc.

For perishables, only buy stuff in sizes that you can use within a week (like quarts of milk/oj half dozen eggs). Bulk is great if you have an army of roomates/kids to feed, but you'll save more money if you buy the smaller sizes instead of throwing half of it away. Just FYI, if you drink from the cartons your saliva can innoculate the pasturized food with the bacteria in your mouth leading to earlier spoilage, so you might want to stop that habit. Buy less lunch meat (like 1/4 pound should be enough for like 2-3 sandwiches) and dont forget to make yourself sandwiches like I would...

The simple answer for the eating the same thing 4 days in a row is to cook smaller portions. Try split your ingredients in half and cooking two different meals on consecutive days for variety and eat the leftovers every other day.

OR invite friends over to eat your awesome meal with you and have them reciprocate and you'll get a couple different meals out of the week and a nice social break from studying. (just pulling this one out of my ass).

My brother subsisted on Ramen and EZ Mac for the first few weeks that he lived on his own...

Once in a while, I'll cook a recipie just for me - but I tend to be a basics guy, I guess. One trick that really works for me: I got really tired of eating chicken or steak three or four nights in a row, trying to use-up a meat package before it "went off." What I do now is - as soon as I get home from the grocery store - I take all of my meats and divide them into single-meal portions. I put those portions in zip-seal sandwich bags and freeze them. One chicken breast or one piece of steak will defrost in 10 minutes or so if you plunk it into some hot water in the sink. Then, while that is baking or broiling, I microwave a single portion of frozen vegetables. I used to also zap a baked potato or rice, but I've given that up for the sake of weight control.
Anyway, you can have a nice meat-and-veg meal done in about 20 minutes and, with a little creative use of marinades and spices, you can have quite a lot of good variations on this simple theme.

I make HUGE portions (like 2 or 3 times the amount suggested by the recipe) and I freeze the rest. I usually eat the other portions a few weeks later. Things will keep for months in the freezer...

Really, if you cook in large amounts, the only thing that takes longer is the chopping/pre-cooking prep. Shopping, cooking, and cleaning time are more or less the same regardless of quantity. I don't even lose time on the chopping because I'm much more likely to take out the food processor to chop 6 onions than 2... Another shortcut: buy frozen, chopped veggies rather than fresh.

I only cook once a week (sometimes less!), now that I have accumulated frozen meals. We rarely eat the same thing more than twice in a week.

tin can said:
So, I think we've all heard a hundred times by now that one of the best ways to save money while in school is to prepare breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks at home. Although this has always seemed to be common sense to me, I have struggled with this advice. Living on my own, I constantly find myself in the following cycle:

1. I get motivated and excited about saving money and cooking, so I skip to the local grocery store and buy a bunch of ingredients and generally handy stuff like pasta and cereal. Then, I trudge home with 50 lbs of groceries b/c my eyes are bigger than my biceps.

2. I cook a nice meal, enjoy it, and feel good about myself.

3. I eat the same meal for +/- 4 days and grow to hate it.

4. I discover that the milk, bread, cheese, lunch meat, eggs, juice, etc. that I just bought in bulk in order to get all those fantastic savings have expired before I could use half of them! I realize that I could have bought the smaller, more expensive sizes and been just as well off.

5. I decide I've been pretty good about not eating out and treat myself to a meal...besides, everything I bought last week is now expired.

6. I secretly enjoy how quick and easy it was to eat out and become addicted to it for about a week. I then feel guilty about my wasteful spending and return to step 1.

So, I am starting this thread in hopes of collecting some grocery shopping and cooking advice, as well as some great recipes for med students on the go. While I live by myself and find it tricky to shop and cook for 1, feel free to contribute advice for those w/SO's and/or kids.
All the while, I thought I was alone. This is one of the most accurate posts about my life that I have ever read...I knew I felt a connection, tin can, i just never knew where it came from.

A strategy that has yet to be mentioned is the ole' eat 10,000 calories on sunday...then you don't have to eat until Thursday!

JayQuah said:
All the while, I thought I was alone. This is one of the most accurate posts about my life that I have ever read...I knew I felt a connection, tin can, i just never knew where it came from.

A strategy that has yet to be mentioned is the ole' eat 10,000 calories on sunday...then you don't have to eat until Thursday!
Oh ya! I totally negelected to mention the 10,000 cal plan and the very similar 1 LARGE meal per day plan. Eh, just don't tell our mothers, right? :cool:

LDHC05, I'm a little offended by the implication that everything in my fridge is covered in saliva :laugh: , but thanks for the quality advise! I had some friends who tried the "Diners' Club" thing (taking turns once a week to make dinner). They had a good time at first, but then the whole thing soured over disputes involving menus and $. Kind of sad and realistically, not that avoidable.

Keep the advise coming! I'm loving it...I'm definitely going to check out the Martha Stewart magazine that was recommended, among other things.

If you live by yourself, go shopping once a week specifically for the ingredients for the meals you intend to prepare for the week.

Buying things on sale and in bulk will save you money, but mostly if you are buying for more than one person. Many times, money saved by buying in bulk is offset by money spent (think opportunity cost) throwing away unused food/ingredients.

Be selective about what you buy in bulk. Tuna? Sure. Keeps a LONG time. Toilet paper NEVER goes bad. Lettuce? Not so good. Barely lasts a week. Cheap bread with preservatives will keep a couple of weeks if you don't let it get all damp.

I do make a big batch of something and freeze parts so I can eat some now, some later. I also make easy things like tostadas (smear some fat-free refried beans, or puree your own, on a tortilla, add salsa and fake cheese, and put in the toaster oven for a few minutes). Oh, the fake cheese doesn't save any money; I just can't eat cheese. Tortillas keep forever in the fridge.

It's important to have a few staples in the house that don't go bad so you can have a cheap meal if you're tired of whatever's in your crock pot. Peanut butter, bread, tuna, mayo, mustard, can of sloppy Joe sauce and some TVP, etc.

Freezing is big. When I make lasagna, I use the recipe for a 9x11 pan but make two 8x8 pans and freeze one (pre-baking). Or I freeze cooked portions of stew or chili.

When I know I have a busy week coming up, I take an hour or two on Sunday to prepare. I chop/slice and bag veggies, so I can just throw them in a pan and have dinner ready in 20 minutes. And I plan meals to use all the ingredients - for example, now I have shrimp, tofu, mushrooms, spinach, and a leftover red pepper in the fridge. Those will be combined with nonperishables I always have in the pantry to make three or four meals: pad thai (shrimp and tofu); shrimp with mushrooms, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes in white wine sauce; and stir-fry (tofu, mushrooms, red pepper). That way I use up all the ingredients without eating the same exact thing over and over. (Each meal will be about 3 servings, so 1 dinner and 2 lunches or vice versa.)

I also make up portions of things I actually can eat for a week, and stack the tupperwares in the fridge. Currently I have containers full of plain yogurt mixed with cut-up fruit and honey, which will be topped with a handful of granola every morning on my way out. Also, I'll make chocolate or rice pudding and fill up those 1/2 cup size containers.

Obviously, I like to cook. If I didn't get so much enjoyment out of it, I wouldn't do a lot of this. Something that saves time AND money is looking for good prices on decent prepackaged food. Rather than buying the big tub of plain yogurt and adding fruit myself, I could buy individual yogurts for 65 cents apiece. That's not much more money, it's a huge time saver, and it's DEFINITELY cheaper than buying breakfast out! So don't feel like you have to be cooking all sorts of stuff from scratch - if it's cheaper than eating out, it's still saving money!

One other suggestion is to invite a friend over about once a week for food. This will force you to cook something at least once a week (with leftovers for 2-3 more meals). If you do this enough with enough different people, you should start getting invitations to eat at THEIR homes once in a while. This way, you cook once a week, get 2-3 meals leftover, plus one meal or so from your friend. Plus you get to be social.

Members don't see this ad :)
samenewme said:
Lettuce? Not so good. Barely lasts a week.

a trick to keep lettuce fresh is to store it in a zip-lock bag with paper towel around it (or sandwiched in between). Lettuce goes bad when it's stored in a moist bag, so the paper towel keeps it fresh. When you see that the towel is completely soaked, switch in another, and the lettuce may keep for another day.

I also have tried this veggie saver thing that I saw at whole foods. they are special green plastic bags that supposely keeps fruits and veggies from oxidizing quickly. Dunno how it works, but it seemed to work well with my celery and carrots. Never tried it with lettuce. It hangs in the produce section at whole foods.

I have a repetoire of easy dishes that I make that use the same basic set of ingredients that I like alot. Each night I make enuf for me and my hubby (or he does the cooking) and some left over for lunch the next day.

Some of the stuff we make:
Lots of asian dishes, stir frys (steak, seafood, and chicken) with veggies (you can buy stir fry veggie mixes either frozen or bagged in the fresh area) onion and garlic, served over white or brown rice, or done with asian noodles as a lo-mein type dish, or fry the rice in with the veggies and meat and some egg for fried rice . . . .all of these use the same set of sauces and veggies

Lots of pasta dishes: We always keep basic pastas and canned tomato sauce, we also mix in meat (i.e. shrimp and red pepper for fra diavlo, or chicken and brocolli), and we also do olive oil and garlic and herbs sauces that are super easy. Clam sauce is also a super easy recipe.

Meat and veggie dinners: get a george foreman grill and marinate your meat and grill it, super easy. If you don't feel up to cooking fresh veggies you can buy frozen ones that are already flavored for your lazy days.

Salads: Buy greens, your favorite salad makings, grill meat on foreman grill and you have a great salad

Sandwiches: beyond the normal realm you can make meatball parmesan and chicken parmesan pretty easily (you can even get frozen chicken pre-breaded), also I'm a big fan of the pizza bagle a la gourmet with tons of toppings on them

Pizza: most pizza places will let you buy the dough a single serving at a time from them pretty cheeply, get a pizza stone, add your favorite toppings

These are all the tricks I know, mostly its about trying to cut a step out buy buying something somewhat prepped for you, like the tomato sauce, or precut veggies or breaded chicken . . . sorry for the long post but I consider myself a expert on how not to starve while being a poor student.

psipsina said:
I have a repetoire of easy dishes that I make that use the same basic set of ingredients that I like alot. Each night I make enuf for me and my hubby (or he does the cooking) and some left over for lunch the next day.

You honestly just described about 95% of the things I cook. Except I've been buying pre-made store-bought pizza crusts...I'll have to look into this fresh dough idea.

How to save money:

Omlettes for breakfast.
Baked potatoes w/ butter, pasta and rice for lunch
French fries, hot dogs, bbq chicken wings and beans for dinner.

Mashed potatoes with gravy and hamburgers can be switched for variety for one of the meals. (Easy on the meat though since that can cost cash) If you are really tight on the cash, add more pasta, potatoes and rice!!

Remember to buy the 40lb bags of potatoes and rice though. I think you would only spend like 1-2 dollars a person for 3 meals. Sweet.

breakfast soymilk/cereal

lunch: PB&J

dinner: $2.73 frozen dinner (i'm vegetarian)

i don't know how to cook at all, i somehow screw up microwavable mac & cheese, i'm not sure how. (and yes i'm gonna be a doc :laugh: , so save those jokes)

so what can i do to save money in the food department.

newdude said:
breakfast soymilk/cereal

i don't know how to cook at all, i somehow screw up microwavable mac & cheese, i'm not sure how. (and yes i'm gonna be a doc :laugh: , so save those jokes)

First, LOSE THE CERIAL. Those babies cost like $5 a box. Instead, just drink a glass of whole milk with an omlette or no frills oatmeal. You want to buy whole milk since you get the most callories for your buck. In skim milk they just take away all the fat and good stuff and sell it to you at the same price. So instead of drinking a glass of skim, drink 1/3rd glass of whole milk for the same calories. But if you are vegearian then I guess you have to stay with soy. I personally skip breakfast all togeather since I have my own theory that it prevents diabetes and obesity.

Next, those frozen dinners are a rip off. $2.73 for a vegetarian dinner? Spend $0.50 on some watermellon, onions and fried cabbage (I hope you can fry), lettuce tomato and cucumber salad, and a baked poatato. Pour some dresssing on the salad, or stuff it in a pita. Now your whole daily eating will only cost like $1.00. :laugh: :laugh:

you people must have HUGE freezers! I just stopped eating meat, tofu is dirt cheap!

ahumdinger said:
I also have tried this veggie saver thing that I saw at whole foods. they are special green plastic bags that supposely keeps fruits and veggies from oxidizing quickly. Dunno how it works, but it seemed to work well with my celery and carrots. Never tried it with lettuce. It hangs in the produce section at whole foods.

The veggie saver bags are not cheap but they do work. And you can wash them and reuse them over and over again.

Every bit of veggie produce I buy goes into one of them. Stuff lasts at least twice as long as it ordinarily would. Everything from lettuce to asparagus.

I haven't tried them on fruit -- I usually buy that one or two pieces at a time so I don't really have a need for it.

yanky5 said:
First, LOSE THE CERIAL. Those babies cost like $5 a box. Instead, just drink a glass of whole milk with an omlette or no frills oatmeal. You want to buy whole milk since you get the most callories for your buck. In skim milk they just take away all the fat and good stuff and sell it to you at the same price. So instead of drinking a glass of skim, drink 1/3rd glass of whole milk for the same calories. But if you are vegearian then I guess you have to stay with soy. I personally skip breakfast all togeather since I have my own theory that it prevents diabetes and obesity.

Next, those frozen dinners are a rip off. $2.73 for a vegetarian dinner? Spend $0.50 on some watermellon, onions and fried cabbage (I hope you can fry), lettuce tomato and cucumber salad, and a baked poatato. Pour some dresssing on the salad, or stuff it in a pita. Now your whole daily eating will only cost like $1.00. :laugh: :laugh:

oh my god... you are the master of cheap eating!! :thumbup:

I'm also vegetarian -- any other vegetarian suggestions? I do eat eggs and milk though. I can actually cook, except my cooking tends to be gourmet meals with expensive ingredients that take a while to prepare and cook... I don't know how to cook anything simple, nor do I have any ideas about simple, yet healthy 'everyday' foods... cheese, potatoes, etc. = weight gain!!! i'm completely lost. the only idea i have is hummus + bread. dammit, I should have lived off-campus during undergrad...

If you're vegetarian, I highly recommend learning how to cook Indian food. It's not that hard, lots of options with basically any combination of vegetables, and everyone will be impressed. You can make big batches and save for lunch the next day as well.

lord_jeebus said:
If you're vegetarian, I highly recommend learning how to cook Indian food. It's not that hard, lots of options with basically any combination of vegetables, and everyone will be impressed. You can make big batches and save for lunch the next day as well.

interesting idea - suggestions on dishes or combinations??

First off, I almost never use recipes. I usually just throw stuff together or mix and match instructions I've heard before. I usually make huge meals and freeze the remains (or eat the same thing a few days in the same week if I'm behind or something like that). Though they cost a little more, I almost always buy fresh vegtables because I like them.

In general, I always have the little things around (spices, onions, potatoes, lots of pasta, sauces, eggs, etc.) because they last forever and they make your food taste a lot better. They also give you some flexibility as to what you can make. I usually have a lot of vegtables around too because I add them to pretty much everything, and they make good snacks when I'm too lazy to actually cook something. Some dishes I make a lot are:

1. any pastas. I usually keep an entire shelf stocked up with different pastas. Cook it up, add whatever kind of sauce (or garlic and olive oil or whatever else you happen to like) and some vegtables. I personally hardly ever make meat sauce because it takes too long and I'm impatient.

2. lasagna. just get some sauce, lasagna noodes, cottage cheese, mozzerella cheese, eggs, and some salt and pepper. Mix a few cups of mozzerella, a small container of cottage cheese, and 1-2 eggs together in a bowl to make a sort of 'cheese paste'. Spread a little sauce on the bottom of the pan, add a layer of noodles, paste them with the cheese, add some sauce, some noodles... continue until you're either out or the pan is full. You can add layers of whatever else you like in there too. I personally like mushrooms and hot italian sausage, but use what you've got. Red onions, peppers, and hamburger all work well. I usually add a little bit of basil and fennel to the sauce too, but again, whatever you like. Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350, then uncover and bake for another 15 to crisp it up a little bit. Enjoy.
Note: Ricotta cheese is great if you like it, and I usually add a little bit of parmeasan or romana to the top.

3. Porcupine Meatballs. Easiest thing in the world, and they taste good. Chop up a small onion, and add it to a large bowl. Add some hamburger, about a 2/3 equivalent of minute rice, and enough eggs (1-2) to make it mix well. Mix it all up and shape some meatballs out of it. Add them to a pot or pan or whever you have handy, add a little salt and pepper, and cover them in tomato sauce. If the sauce is thick, add some water. Cover and bake for about an hour at 350.

4. Lo Mein noodles with vegtables. They only take a few minutes to cook, so this one's easy. Just cook the noodles and steam whatever vegtables you want. Toss them both in a pan, add a little bit of oil and your sauce of choice (I usually buy stir fry sauce, or just add soy sauce with a little bit of cooking wine. Making your own sauce is good, but so far I haven't mastered a way to make my homemade sauce last for long periods of time), and enjoy.

5. Tacos. 'nuff said.

6. Greek salad: chop up a some cucumbers, roma tomatoes, green peppers, and red onions. I usually take the seeds out of the cucumbers by slicing them in half the long way and using a spoon. Add a few green olives (kalamata are great if you're feel like paying for them). Add some chunks of feta cheese. If you don't add any dressing, you can keep this in the fridge for a few days. When you're hungry, just add some vinnegar and enjoy.

I have a bunch of other easy recipes (mostly made up, some partly stolen), but most of them don't keep very well and aren't especially fast. Just be creative.

Another price saver is when you go shopping, look through the meat department for stuff that's close to its expiration. They're usually clearly marked and are about 1/3 of the original price. If you cook them up that day or the next, they're usually just fine (or you can freeze them immediately). I hardly ever eat meat except for when I find these deals.

lord_jeebus said:
I don't own it but Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking is supposed to be a classic.

It's ok to buy in bulk, just ignore the expiration date on everything. Those are merely "suggestions" of when to throw out your food. I think the food industry tends to play it safe when setting these regulations. I don't through food out until it either smells like someone died or there is some alien object growing on it (Example: my stir fry dinner that had been sitting in my fridge for over a month had taken on the consistency of a rock). Rotten lettuce can be stir-fried with lots of garlic to mask any foul flavors.

Make sure to buy toilet paper in bulk.... you will need it.

anon-y-mouse said:
oh my god... you are the master of cheap eating!! :thumbup:

I'm also vegetarian -- any other vegetarian suggestions? I do eat eggs and milk though. I can actually cook, except my cooking tends to be gourmet meals with expensive ingredients that take a while to prepare and cook... I don't know how to cook anything simple, nor do I have any ideas about simple, yet healthy 'everyday' foods... cheese, potatoes, etc. = weight gain!!! i'm completely lost. the only idea i have is hummus + bread. dammit, I should have lived off-campus during undergrad...

It's cool to see all the vegetarians here. First, I recommend investing in a steamer. Steam some brown rice and veggies and add beans and salsa. Actually, try to think up as many variations of beans and rice as possible because it's so cheap, easy and healthy. Another yummy one is hoppin' jon with rice and blackeyed peas. Steamed vegetables are super easier and healthier than boiled or nuked veggies, too.

Keep the potatoes, but just be sure to account for their caloric content -- one good thing is that the potatoes in those big 10 lb bags are a lot smaller than those gigantic potatoes you get at restaurants. The smaller potatoes are around 100 calories, whereas the huge ones are over 300. A super easy yummy snak is a baked potato topped with cottage cheese -- I also throw on some dijon mustard, but some people think that's gross. :) Sweet potatoes are also great and are delicious by themselves. Add some blackeyed peas and some collards, and you've got a classic southern meal.

Burritos are always good, too -- get some salsa, ww tortillas, rice and a little cheese (or not). Another thing we do is make pita pizzas with ww pita, pizza sauce, hummus, onions, basil and feta.

And last but healthiest, cheapest and probably best -- soup! You can easily whip up a lentil soup with crushed tomatoes, dry lentils, leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, whatever) and spices (Indian spices are especially good here). Bean chili is also great as is cabbage/white bean soup.

I forgot the mention soup! My two favorites are minestrone and wild rice, and they're both easy as hell.

Wild Rice: Cook the wild rice separately and strain when done. In a big pot, add some butter (a few tablespoons), a bunch of chopped celery, and a big chopped onion. Stir them around in the butter on medium heat for a while, then sprinkle flour slowly until the mixture looks pretty thick. Add the wild rice. Toss in a big can or two (enough to cover everything and then some) of chicken broth Add salt and pepper to taste. I usually add chicken to mine as well (either grilled stuff or the cans of it).

Cover and cook on low heat for an hour or so. You can slowly add a little bit of flour at a time to thicken it up if you'd like. When it's almost done (taste it, add salt and pepper to adjust), add some cream until it gets a creamy while color. If you really want to make it good, add some sherry or white zin. This stores in the fridge for at least a week, or in the frezer for months. It gets better with age too.

Minestrone: ok, this one takes a little more, but its damn good. Soak a bag of beans in water over night and rinse. I usually just use a bag of mixed beans, but some people prefer just french beans. In a big pot, add a few Tbsp butter and melt over low heat, then add a few Tbps of olive oil. [Optional: add about 1/2 cup chopped bacon.] Add a couple crushed and diced cloves of garlic and a large red onion chopped and cook for about 2 minutes. Add chopped celery, carrots, and potatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Add beans and cook for 2 minutes. Add choped zucchini and cook for about 2 minutes, then cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, basil, and a can of tomato paste. Cover and let simmer for about 1 hour.

This lasts for about a week in the fridge, and is great served cold as well. Serve with parmeasan cheese and bread.

For the vegitarians out there like me:

Black beans are my staple. They are so easy and there is so much that can be done with them. They are very inexpensive, especially when you buy them dry.

I also avoid gluten often, and have found quinoa to be a good grain.

One of my favorite meals contains whole black beans, egg, quinoa, spicy pepper, vinagrette, and soy. Serve this with corn tortillas or it is good as it is. Vegtables can be added as desired - green or red peppers are good, as are onions or any color. It's a good mix of fat, protein, and carbs and will really fill you up.

I also agree on the statement of getting the big tub of yogurt and adding your own fruit. It contains a lot less sugar than the stuff you can buy pre mixed and I think it tastes better. Plus, you can add chocolate chips to help with the tartness, if it is too much.

I make hearty soups. The easiest, tastiest, low-salt soup for the fall and winter is butternut squah soup. It's great for using up those leftover salad ingredients and freezes well-- Here's the recipie:

Ingredients:
1 BN squash
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1 small onion
1 potato
1-3 cans of broth

Prep time = about 10 minutes

- Slice a butternut squash in 1/2, scoop out the seeds and cook face down on a foil-lined cookie sheet for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile in a sauce pan on the stove, cook covered over low heat for 1 hour: the coresly cut veggies in one can of chicken/veggie broth. I use low salt broth.
- After the squash and veggies are done, scoop the squash out of the skin and place everything in a blender. Blend until smoth and add an additional can or two of broth until desired consistancy. Add seasonings and top with cheese and croutons as desired.

Great for lunch -- Really fills you up and is low-cal. (I sometimes omit the potato all together) Yum :)

psg7y said:
I also agree on the statement of getting the big tub of yogurt and adding your own fruit. It contains a lot less sugar than the stuff you can buy pre mixed and I think it tastes better. Plus, you can add chocolate chips to help with the tartness, if it is too much.

Definitely the way to go. I was appalled when I read the back of a regular yogurt container -- that stuff is loaded with high fructose corn syrup. :eek: Buying the big tub is healthier, cheaper and more ecologically friendly. Plus you can have whatever type of yogurt you want.

nothing beats some cold soup on these hot days...

Try gaspacho or cucumber soup. They're both really easy, quick, healthy, and tasty.

newdude said:
breakfast soymilk/cereal

Replace the cereal with plain old oatmeal. Get yourself a REALLY TALL bowl so you can microwave it, and experiment to get the right time in the microwave--2-5 minutes. You can stir in soy, tofu, or other protein source if you want to.

Get whole wheat bread or something and $1.25 cans of chunky veggie soup. Cuts down your dinner costs without your having to learn to cook. Also hit the po' people's grocery stores (Sav-a-Lot, Aldi) to see if you can find much cheaper veggie frozen dinners. Even if you don't really cook you can still eat cheaper.

Great topic!
What do people think of Hamburger Helper (made with ground turkey of course because it is both healthier and cheaper). Dirt cheap, one pan...although nearly every variety has a 17-20 minute "simmering" step that may be more wait than its worth...
How say you?

samenewme said:
Replace the cereal with plain old oatmeal. Get yourself a REALLY TALL bowl so you can microwave it, and experiment to get the right time in the microwave--2-5 minutes. You can stir in soy, tofu, or other protein source if you want to.

LOL, ditto on the tall bowl. I have one bowl that works for microwaving oatmeal. I've tried other bowls, and the outcome's not pretty -- scraping hot oatmeal out of your microwave when you're hungry is not so fun. You can buy regular old fashioned oatmeal instead of instead and microwave it for 5 minutes instead of 2. I add peanut butter. :)

JayQuah said:
Great topic!
What do people think of Hamburger Helper (made with ground turkey of course because it is both healthier and cheaper). Dirt cheap, one pan...although nearly every variety has a 17-20 minute "simmering" step that may be more wait than its worth...
How say you?

Good idea with the ground turkey. I use it for everything these days like spaghetti, burgers, whatever. Adios ground beef!

One thing I have noticed about the infamous Hambuger Helper and nearly every other item that is cheap and comes from a box, bag, or can is that you really have to watch out for the massive sodium content.
I'm not one to watch portion sizes (I think I subscribe to that 10,000 calorie Sunday plan mentioned above). Many common/cheap items can have a sodium content over 25% of your daily allowance in each serving......and we all know that sometimes it's hard to eat just one serving. ;)
Canned soups are horrible with the salt too.
There have been plenty of times when I have found myself slurping down any water that I could get my hands on after dinner :laugh:

DogFlu said:
It's ok to buy in bulk, just ignore the expiration date on everything. Those are merely "suggestions" of when to throw out your food. I think the food industry tends to play it safe when setting these regulations. I don't through food out until it either smells like someone died or there is some alien object growing on it (Example: my stir fry dinner that had been sitting in my fridge for over a month had taken on the consistency of a rock). Rotten lettuce can be stir-fried with lots of garlic to mask any foul flavors.

Make sure to buy toilet paper in bulk.... you will need it.

I steal individual rolls from restaurant, school, or store bathrooms. Cheaper than buying in bulk. :p

So my dad cooks a lot of great stuff and has all my life, and I got spoiled on gourmet food. Once I was in college, I realized this was very unrealistic, and figured out how to make easier, cheaper versions of the things I craved the most (pasta, fish). I don't like beef or pork, and I go back and forth on chicken, so here's what I did for most of college:

- I get brown rice and whole grain pastas. I'll cook a decent amount of the rice when I have the 40 minutes it takes to cook. Pasta generally only takes about 20 mintues max; I always make too much to eat at one time so I'll toss it with a little olive oil (EVOO for you Rachel Ray people) so it doesn't stick. Then I keep the pasta and rice in tupperwares in the fridge to eat with whatever I want during the week. They keep well. I'm a person who needs some kind of carb to feel satiated, so this works for me.

- Making different sauces is pretty easy. A few staples requiring an initial investment will help make the food taste better: chopped garlic in the little jar, big thing of olive oil, block of Parmesan cheese, big container of seasoned salt, a pepper grinder. Get veggies you know you like and just have them cut up and prepared already (you can do this on the weekend when your bulk rice and pastas are cooking) as some other posters suggested. One thing I've found that saves time and money is diced tomatoes in a can with flavorings . . . Mexcan, garlic and onion, Italian, etc. The can costs under $1 and saves a lot of time with seasoning and prep. Just saute the tomatoes with whatever veggies you like (I am partial to zucchini and yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, green beans, or eggplant), add some garlic, toss in some pre-cooked pasta and let it warm up in the sauce, and sprinkle with a little bit of parmesan. Done. Toss in some chicken if you want or make a piece of fish.

- Rice is good with quick stir-fries or coconut-milk-based Thai dishes. These are all really easy. I used to order in this Thai green curry dish with coconut milk all the time (I would get serious cravings for it), and realized it couldn't be that hard to make, so I figured it out. All you do is boil some veggies (carrots, zucchini, green beans, snow peas, eggplant, bamboo shoots, etc) in chicken broth with a little Thai green curry paste, or whatever kind of seasonings you like, and then add coconut milk at the end. If you buy boullion cubes or broth in a box, you can make as much or as little of the meal as you want because you won't have to open a can of broth. Coconut milk, once opened, can keep if you put it in tupperware.

- Tilapia fillets are surprisingly cheap for fish and take about 6 minutes to cook. Heat up olive oil over medium heat in a skillet, rinse off the fillet, pat a little S&P and flour on both sides, and cook on each side for about 3 minutes. Then eat with whatever veggies you like (I'm partial to quick-sauteed zucchini and yellow squash with a sprinkle of Parmesan) and some pre-made brown rice (more flavor, healthier). Or, eat with the pasta dish you made from the pre-cooked pasta and seasoned tomato sauce. The fillet itself isn't seasoned to match any specific side dish, so if you can't finish it you can always save it and eat it in a completely different context. You can get them fresh or frozen for about $1/fillet. You can do the same thing with chicken, although usually this is actually a little more expensive than tilapia or perch. I definitely second the poster who said separate each piece of fish or chicken as soon as you get it home and freeze it. It's a bitch getting those rock-hard fillets apart in a timely manner.

- If you have a George Foreman type grill, kebobs are also quick and easy. Get some reusable skewers or the cheap wooden ones. If you get the wooden ones, soak them in water for a bit before you cook so they don't burn. Then just put whatever you want onto the skewer (I like tomatoes, onions, pineapple, bell peppers, and chicken . . . or if I'm feeling like a big spender, shrimp or a firm fish like salmon or mahi mahi). Then turn on the grill and cook the kebob on each side. If you buy couscous in bulk, it is a great side dish for this. A little more expensive, but very quick-cooking, are the 5-minute couscous and grains in a box (Near East is the brand I usually get).

- Quick smoothies aren't too hard either: if you buy the big big bags of frozen fruit, all you have to do is put the fruit in the blender with a little soymilk and yogurt. Don't have to deal with ice because the fruit is already frozen. Subbing chocolate soymilk for plain or vanilla works well for a dessert type smoothie rather than breakfast. Soft tofu adds more protein and you can't taste it.

- Crystal light is tasty and low-calorie, gives me servings of water, and satisfies my craving for Diet Coke or another bad drink. I also like to make a big pitcher of green or black tea with honey and put it in the fridge for whenever I need caffeine (I hate coffee).

- The last things I'd recommend for speed are (1) toaster oven and (2) electric kettle. The toaster oven heats up quickly for cooking individual portions of food. If you wrap the food in foil, it won't burn. The electric kettle boils water REALLY fast and can save you a lot of time for making pasta, tea, or rice.

The hardest part of cooking for myself has been buying smaller amounts of produce and not getting bored. One thing that has made it less monotonous is something my family has always done: the ingredient game. If you go out and eat something you really like, figure out what's in it. You can probably make it yourself, and then you can eat well, add variety, and save money.

Dunce said:
Good idea with the ground turkey. I use it for everything these days like spaghetti, burgers, whatever. Adios ground beef!

One thing I have noticed about the infamous Hambuger Helper and nearly every other item that is cheap and comes from a box, bag, or can is that you really have to watch out for the massive sodium content.
I'm not one to watch portion sizes (I think I subscribe to that 10,000 calorie Sunday plan mentioned above). Many common/cheap items can have a sodium content over 25% of your daily allowance in each serving......and we all know that sometimes it's hard to eat just one serving. ;)
Canned soups are horrible with the salt too.
There have been plenty of times when I have found myself slurping down any water that I could get my hands on after dinner :laugh:

AH HA! I knew there was a catch...damn you, Hamburger Helper...with your little white glove hand puppet thing....

You know, I don't find cooking in to be all that economical.

A fast food meal from Wendy's is $4.78.

If say, I make 2 good quality sausages (about $2) and some hash browns ($1) for dinner, that comes to $3, plus miscellaneous costs like cooking oil, sauce, and heating costs, as well as time spent cooking and cleaning up.

It's not that cheap.

When you start working, you have to consider what your time is worth as a doctor. Or as a medical student, time spent studying during exam week.

Llenroc said:

If say, I make 2 good quality sausages (about $2) and some hash browns ($1) for dinner, that comes to $3, plus miscellaneous costs like cooking oil, sauce, and heating costs, as well as time spent cooking and cleaning up.

It's not that cheap.

When you start working, you have to consider what your time is worth as a doctor. Or as a medical student, time spent studying during exam week.

Or I'll consider what a life of eating Wendy's and other fast-food stuffs will do to my health.

I buy vegetables every week and make a huge salad. I eat on it during the week either as a meal itself or as a side salad. It only takes me about 20 minutes to cut up everything. You can buy some pita's and put the salad in those for a change of pace. So that you don't get tired of eating salad, keep a variety of dressings and alternate the toppings you put on it (bacon bits, shredded cheese, peanuts). I also buy the big bag of frozen chicken breasts. Thaw one of those out and grill it on the Forman and you'll have a pretty decent and healthy meal. Occasionally I get one of those huge bags of frozen veggies. In a covered skillet, add a frozen chicken breast, 3 cups of frozen veggies, a teriyaki sauce, and spice to taste. Leave the stove on medium and you can go study (surf SDN) for about 30-45 minutes while you're meal is cooking.

My grocery bill for a week's worth of food is only ~20 bucks. (I don't buy any snack food)

Llenroc said:

It's not that cheap.

I agree, you can't save a whole lot of money making $2 sausages and $1 pre-packaged hash browns for dinner. But oatmeal that you throw in the microwave with water for 50 cents a portion is a pretty good deal, as is making a big batch of black bean soup at $1.50 a serving. Cooking isn't magic; you have to think about whether you're saving or not and whether it's worth your time.

This thread is fantastic!! I have the same problem as the OP, I eat out way too often.

I'm just now learning how to cook. I like to buy chicken breast when it's on sale and then freeze them up. Then I'll take a package out, marinate it, and cook it. I'll eat one piece for dinner, then save the rest for sandwiches, salads or another meal.

Whoever mentioned the tortillas staying in the fridge forever is spot on. I buy whole wheat tortillas instead of bread these days. I find that when I buy a package of bread, I'll use like six pieces out of it before mold starts growing on it, and end up throwing a half a package out. Now I buy the tortillas and use those for my sandwiches. I'm fond of tuna and lettuce in a whole wheat tortilla, because then I don't have to worry about my lunch meat being bad. :)

Tiki said:
This thread is fantastic!! I have the same problem as the OP, I eat out way too often.

I'm just now learning how to cook. I like to buy chicken breast when it's on sale and then freeze them up. Then I'll take a package out, marinate it, and cook it. I'll eat one piece for dinner, then save the rest for sandwiches, salads or another meal.

Whoever mentioned the tortillas staying in the fridge forever is spot on. I buy whole wheat tortillas instead of bread these days. I find that when I buy a package of bread, I'll use like six pieces out of it before mold starts growing on it, and end up throwing a half a package out. Now I buy the tortillas and use those for my sandwiches. I'm fond of tuna and lettuce in a whole wheat tortilla, because then I don't have to worry about my lunch meat being bad. :)

Anyone have suggestions for a good way to "doctor up" (haha no pun intended) tuna other than piling a huge glob of mayo on it? (That's the only way I know, but I'm looking for some healthier ways to enjoy tuna).

Brian Griffin said:
Anyone have suggestions for a good way to "doctor up" (haha no pun intended) tuna other than piling a huge glob of mayo on it? (That's the only way I know, but I'm looking for some healthier ways to enjoy tuna).

Put in chopped celery and raisins. and/or apples.
Put in chopped artichoke hearts (okay, those are expensive), chopped olives, red peppers, onions, summer squash.
Put in a big glob of mustard.
Splash in a little balsamic vinegar.

A loaf of bread will freeze for months. Just pull out however many slices you want, microwave for 10 seconds, and voila, fresh bread.

My favorite recipes consist of throwing a few cheap ingredients together in a pot. These cost less than $5 and make enough for a couple of dinners for two:

Ranch Hand Stew
1 lb cooked, drained, hamb meat (or the healthy choice meat crumbles)
1 large can diced tomatoes (including juice)
1 can whole kernel corn (including juice)
1 can ranch style beans (including juice)
Dump all into a pan and simmer 1 hour.

Stove-top Tuna Casserole
1 box prepared Kraft Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese
1 can drained tuna
1 can drained peas
Mix and serve.

Pot-O-Pasta
1 pkg shell pasta, cooked
1 jar meat flavored Prego spaghetti sauce
1 can drained whole kernel corn
Mix and serve.

Not the most healthy of meals, but fast, cheap and tasty.

Let me just say how thrilled I am to hear of all these fellow vegeterians!!

Let's face it, if you're a medical student (or just really lazy like me), you're not going to spend a lot of time cooking up a meal. Here is what usually happens to me. I go to the kitchen hungry, stare into the fridge, freeze, and pantry at all of the things I could cook, and end up eating a box of croutons b/c I could shove them in my mouth right away. It sounds like most of you are much more motivated than I am when it comes to the cooking department.

So, for any of you slackers out there, here is what I have found to eat, that is somewhat healthy, and takes a very small amount of time to get from fridge, freezer, or pantry to mouth:

1. PB&J - this is only the absolute best sandwich ever! Do not overlook this gradeschool lunch box favorite. Cheap, easy, vegeterian, healthy (if using whole wheat bread and fruit preserves and not sugary jelly)
2. Frozen meat substitute patty sandwiches. Okay so even I think that the fake burgers are kinda gross, but the fake chicken patties and black bean burgers, both really delicious.
3. Black bean soup - one can black beans with juice, one can ro-tel, one can green chilis (optional), cup or two of water with veg boullion cube. You can obviously add to this, rice, corn and sour cream are all good.
4. Stir fry - Frozen stir-fry veggies, diced tofu (I'm so lazy I buy it already diced), stir fry seasoning packet mixed with water, heat in pan for 10 min. or so. Put on top of rice. One of my most ambitious dinner.
5. Grilled cheese-okay not that healthy, but good especially with canned tomato soup which...well see below
6. Canned soup - also not that healthy, most have lots of sodium and the dreaded high fructose corn syrup.
7. Mixed nuts - great snack
8. Raisin boxes
9. Pasta with canned pasta sauce and a block of tofu that I put in the blender with some mozz. cheese, maybe some olive oil, and whatever spices I feel like, say oregano, garlic, etc. This tofu mixture resebles ricotta cheese. I'm way too lazy to make a baked pasta dish out of this like a lasagna or baked ziti. I just mix a little pasta, a little sauce, a little cheese together in a bowl and microwave it. This is also pretty ambitious for me.
10. Scrambled egg - did you know you could do this in the microwave. One egg takes about 1 minute.
11. Quick cook oatmeal - already mentioned I know. In fact I'm sure lots of this has already been mentioned, but guess what, I'm too lazy to go back and check.