Saw a Billboard This Week...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocWagner

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...while driving home from Chicago, it was an advertisement for a Hospital
"Hospital X: Board Certified Emergency Medicine"

The hospital was advertising itself to have QUALITY and it was associated with Board Certification.

This is a good thing.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of one hospital that advertises that "all of our emergency physicians are board certified". Turns out that they are board certified in FP peds and IM. They even have one guy who never finished a residency but he is board certified by the NBME

Members don't see this ad :)
...while driving home from Chicago, it was an advertisement for a Hospital
"Hospital X: Board Certified Emergency Medicine"

The hospital was advertising itself to have QUALITY and it was associated with Board Certification.

This is a good thing.

Nah anybody can do it...(sarcasm)

Hopefully there is more of this to come.

I know of one hospital that advertises that "all of our emergency physicians are board certified". Turns out that they are board certified in FP peds and IM. They even have one guy who never finished a residency but he is board certified by the NBME

That's just wrong!

NBME doesn't board certify to my knowledge. They only test for licensure and practice purposes, and do not certify you at all.

I guess they could consider it a board ie the national BOARD of medical examiners. By passing their test, they are certifying you. I agree - it is a big stretch. With that logic, virtually everyone who passes the NBME is "board certified"

I don't the attempt was to be deceptive...it takes a quick "letter to the editor" to uncover deceptive activity, and in the meantime destroy a hospital reputation.

Please tell me it wasn't in Florida.

Take care,
Jeff