Saw this on a non-health care board

Started by rph3664
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rph3664

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The poster was at the pharmacy to pick up a routine prescription, and the pharmacist was having a discussion with another customer because the customer wanted his Xanax changed to something else. Why, you may ask? He was afraid that Obamacare could hack into his prescription records, and his front door could be broken down and his house searched without a warrant to confiscate his guns because he takes Xanax.

:wtf:

Methinks that someone like this shouldn't be owning guns, and also needs meds other than Xanax.
 
The poster was at the pharmacy to pick up a routine prescription, and the pharmacist was having a discussion with another customer because the customer wanted his Xanax changed to something else. Why, you may ask? He was afraid that Obamacare could hack into his prescription records, and his front door could be broken down and his house searched without a warrant to confiscate his guns because he takes Xanax.

:wtf:

Methinks that someone like this shouldn't be owning guns, and also needs meds other than Xanax.

Once again the issue is not mentally unstable people who have guns...the issue is that many mentally unstable people cannot get proper care for their condition.

I know a girl who has a record of attempted suicide, yet her insurance still fights with her about paying for her going to see her psychologist...that is the problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The poster was at the pharmacy to pick up a routine prescription, and the pharmacist was having a discussion with another customer because the customer wanted his Xanax changed to something else. Why, you may ask? He was afraid that Obamacare could hack into his prescription records, and his front door could be broken down and his house searched without a warrant to confiscate his guns because he takes Xanax.

:wtf:

Methinks that someone like this shouldn't be owning guns, and also needs meds other than Xanax.

I hope the pharmacy called Obama to tell him to take that person's guns.
 
Every society has its nuts. Never underestimate their strength in numbers. Let's see, 1% schizophrenia, 1% bipolar, 10-15% depressed, I forgot the anxiety % (shame on me). Heck, probably close to one in 5 of this country is/was on psychoactive meds.
 
You're judging this guy without knowing what's going on in his life?

No, he's being judged because he was believed that because of Obamacare, the feds could hack into his prescription records, and his front door could be broken down and his house searched without a warrant to confiscate his guns because he takes Xanax.

Can you even read?
 
Every society has its nuts. Never underestimate their strength in numbers. Let's see, 1% schizophrenia, 1% bipolar, 10-15% depressed, I forgot the anxiety % (shame on me). Heck, probably close to one in 5 of this country is/was on psychoactive meds.

Are you saying everyone who takes psych meds is "nuts"?
 
Every society has its nuts. Never underestimate their strength in numbers. Let's see, 1% schizophrenia, 1% bipolar, 10-15% depressed, I forgot the anxiety % (shame on me). Heck, probably close to one in 5 of this country is/was on psychoactive meds.

Are you saying everyone who takes psych meds is "nuts"?

Or that there is something wrong with having one of these disorders? Especially for those taking appropriate medications and taking actions to control the disorder? Statements like this are some of the reasons people are afraid to get help or tell others about their diagnosis.
 
Or that there is something wrong with having one of these disorders? Especially for those taking appropriate medications and taking actions to control the disorder? Statements like this are some of the reasons people are afraid to get help or tell others about their diagnosis.

Yup. So much for health care providers being non-judgmental. 👎
 
Or that there is something wrong with having one of these disorders? Especially for those taking appropriate medications and taking actions to control the disorder? Statements like this are some of the reasons people are afraid to get help or tell others about their diagnosis.

Hold your horse there and don't twist my words. Try to read what i was replying to before jumping on high horses.

I was replying to the talks of not letting mentally unstable people own guns. And I'm saying don't under estimate their numbers, when almost 20% of the population needs some kind of psychoactive medication to function, do you think a law banning gun ownership by such a huge segment of voters will happen?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hold your horse there and don't twist my words. Try to read what i was replying to before jumping on high horses.

I was replying to the talks of not letting mentally unstable people own guns. And I'm saying don't under estimate their numbers, when almost 20% of the population needs some kind of psychoactive medication to function, do you think a law banning gun ownership by such a huge segment of voters will happen?

Dude. We read it. You called them nuts. That's a pejorative term, if you didn't already know that.

Now you seem to be drawing a line between needing a psychoactive medication and being "mentally unstable." Those are not the same thing. 👎
 
Dude. We read it. You called them nuts. That's a pejorative term, if you didn't already know that.

Now you seem to be drawing a line between needing a psychoactive medication and being "mentally unstable." Those are not the same thing. 👎

Needing psychoactive medication to function normally IS mentally unstable. They wouldn't need it if they were. Take about major depressive disorder, the least serious one, why are they ten times more likely to commit suicide? Is that the definition of mentally stable? This thread is talking about gun control and you are a trying to get off the subject because you don't like my wording? Wow, cry me a river, Ms PC.
 
In the West, anyone who takes any kind of mood altering drugs = sane, or at least a normal diagnosis.

In Asian countries, if you take Xanax or Prozac, you will be labelled crazy. No one I know ever take this kind of medication back there. I only know medication like these exist when I entered USA and they are as common as candies.
 
In the West, anyone who takes any kind of mood altering drugs = sane, or at least a normal diagnosis.

In Asian countries, if you take Xanax or Prozac, you will be labelled crazy. No one I know ever take this kind of medication back there. I only know medication like these exist when I entered USA and they are as common as candies.

Which I think is why many people realize that people in the US taking these medications are not "insane" by the general definition of the word.

My opinion....many people on these medicines, would probably benefit more from counseling than long-term use of medicines (or using these medicines short-term in conjunction with counseling). However, insurance doesn't like to pay for counseling, counseling is more time-consuming than medicine (and often more painful), so patients prefer medicine over counseling.

It is what it is, it doesn't mean people on psychoactive drugs are "nuts" or insane.
 
Which I think is why many people realize that people in the US taking these medications are not "insane" by the general definition of the word.

My opinion....many people on these medicines, would probably benefit more from counseling than long-term use of medicines (or using these medicines short-term in conjunction with counseling). However, insurance doesn't like to pay for counseling, counseling is more time-consuming than medicine (and often more painful), so patients prefer medicine over counseling.

It is what it is, it doesn't mean people on psychoactive drugs are "nuts" or insane.

Exactly. And you are right on about insurance not paying well for counseling. Plus counseling is only really useful for working out situational issues. There are some people who simply have persistent problems with mood, not related to specific life issues or problems. You can't benefit from counseling if you have nothing to discuss. All mood problems do not necessarily relate back to one's mother! :meanie:
 
Needing psychoactive medication to function normally IS mentally unstable. They wouldn't need it if they were. Take about major depressive disorder, the least serious one, why are they ten times more likely to commit suicide? Is that the definition of mentally stable? This thread is talking about gun control and you are a trying to get off the subject because you don't like my wording? Wow, cry me a river, Ms PC.

It's Dr. PC to you. And I suppose that people who self medicate with alcohol for their life problems are equally nuts/insane/mentally unstable? You'd agree with that, I'm sure. 😉
 
How does solely having to take medicine for psychological issues make someone nuts/unstable? if anything, wouldn't taking the medicines help put someone in a stable condition? What about the fact that in many cases the patients recognize a problem with themselves mentally and seek out treatment? You shouldn't prejudge people based on what they are taking.
 
It's Dr. PC to you. And I suppose that people who self medicate with alcohol for their life problems are equally nuts/insane/mentally unstable? You'd agree with that, I'm sure. 😉

Alcoholism is a psychiatric condition. And yes those who need meds to stay sober certainly are mentally unstable without it.
 
How does solely having to take medicine for psychological issues make someone nuts/unstable? if anything, wouldn't taking the medicines help put someone in a stable condition? What about the fact that in many cases the patients recognize a problem with themselves mentally and seek out treatment? You shouldn't prejudge people based on what they are taking.

You are confusing well controlled/uncontrolled vs whether they have an underlying illness. I have dyslipidemia, being controlled on meds doesn't change the fact I have that condition. Same for the mentally ill.

And just as if I stop or miss my meds, my cholesterol will be whacked, their mental stability will do the same. So instead of trying to go tangent on a boring wordings game, stick to more important gun control in psych population.
 
Alcoholism is a psychiatric condition. And yes those who need meds to stay sober certainly are mentally unstable without it.

I'd agree with that. I'd also say that those who chronically need to self medicate with alcohol to deal with the stress or unhappiness of life are "mentally unstable," to use your term.

You are confusing well controlled/uncontrolled vs whether they have an underlying illness. I have dyslipidemia, being controlled on meds doesn't change the fact I have that condition. Same for the mentally ill.

And just as if I stop or miss my meds, my cholesterol will be whacked, their mental stability will do the same.

So we can also agree that "mentally unstable" would be an incorrect way to characterize someone who is stabilized on psychiatric medications. It's no more accurate than saying you have uncontrolled dyslipidemia, when you are in fact controlled on cholesterol medications.

And you can tell people not to talk about your unfortunate choice of the term "nuts" to describe those will psychiatric illness, but no one one has to listen to you. 🙂 At least I think that's what you were trying to do when you said this:

So instead of trying to go tangent on a boring wordings game, stick to more important gun control in psych population.

But to get to the crux of your important issue, I believe that most individuals (the vast majority) on psychiatric medications can own firearms safely.
 
I'd also say that those who chronically need to self medicate with alcohol to deal with the stress or unhappiness of life are "mentally unstable," to use your term.

If someone need chronic drinks to deal with stress (they key is need) then yes, they are mentally unstable. But if you try to pin that one me, you'll be disappointed. I average once a week and that's almost always beer or Margareta during happy hour. 😎

It's no more accurate than saying you have uncontrolled dyslipidemia, when you are in fact controlled on cholesterol medications.

No. My cholesterol is whacked. Needing meds to force the appearance of normality doesn't change the fact it's whacked, in fact it's strong evidence. Now, if it was an infectious disease, and cured with a course of antibiotics, get off the meds and everything is normal, then you would be right. But psych isn't like ID, more like diabetes/CHF.

Maybe "nuts" is not a pretty word to describe all psychatric illness, but certainly isn't the the worst word being used out there, and I don't want to dance the PC dance here. It's boring.

But to get to the crux of your important issue, I believe that most individuals (the vast majority) on psychiatric medications can own firearms safely.

It's a statistical analysis. Since separate out the ones that will go on a crazy rampage vs. those who won't is impossible, it comes down to elevated risk vs. rights. Personally I think it would be best if nobody outside of the police/military had a gun, but I can accept the normal majority the right having a hand gun or bolt action rifle under good regulation. But that does not extend to high risk groups. Mathmatically it should be fairly straight forward to get the stats to identify all the high risk groups. However, like I said originally, if that group happens to be 20% of the votes, they gun law probably isn't going to happen in this country.
 
If someone need chronic drinks to deal with stress (they key is need) then yes, they are mentally unstable. But if you try to pin that one me, you'll be disappointed. I average once a week and that's almost always beer or Margareta during happy hour. 😎

Oh, you thought I meant you? Guilty conscience much? :laugh:
 
Hold your horse there and don't twist my words. Try to read what i was replying to before jumping on high horses.

I was replying to the talks of not letting mentally unstable people own guns. And I'm saying don't under estimate their numbers, when almost 20% of the population needs some kind of psychoactive medication to function, do you think a law banning gun ownership by such a huge segment of voters will happen?

I did read it. As A4MD said, it came across as offensive to me. I don't know how I feel about patients with mental disorders being allowed or denied access to guns when the rest of the population is, I do feel we can do a whole lot better with access to treatment and reducing stigma so patients actually get the care they need.

Also, I only quoted your post but it wasn't just you I was directing my comment to. It was the general tone of several posts that I was responding to, yours was just the most recent post when I replied.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad