SBAR discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been curious how others have their SBAR conversation with the hospitalist for an ED admission.

Do you technically "ask" the hospitalist to admit the pt or do you "tell" the hospitalist to admit the pt? I hear residents and colleagues with a variety of styles and always hear subtle variations that go something like this:

1) SBAR discussion....."So, Dr. X I'm going to admit this pt to an inpatient telemetry bed under your service. Do you have any questions?"

2) SBAR discussion...."So, Dr. X, I'd like to admit this patient to an inpatient telemetry bed under your service. Do you have any questions?"

3) SBAR discussion...."So, Dr. X, if it's ok with you....I'd like to go ahead and admit this pt to an inpatient telemetry bed under your service. Do you have any questions?"

I'm just curious how you guys phrase your admission conversations with the admitting docs. I've found that if I'm at a place where I'm friends with these guys and there's no wall culture, I tend to assess whether the hospitalist is ok with the admission so that they can feel (rightly so) that they are the ones admitting the pt and I'm making a conscious effort to ascertain their comfort level with the admission. If I were a hospitalist, the last thing I would want is an EM doc "telling me" what I need to do with no input on my end. I just think that's rude and unprofessional. I mean, technically none of us have admitting privileges in the first place.

That being said, if I'm working in hospitals with a "wall culture" I tend to "tell" them I'm admitting the pt and not give any wiggle room where they can avoid/delay/stall and want to prevent the impression that any of this is debatable. All that being said, it's becoming much more rare for me to even feel the need to consciously think much about it since I'm somewhat of a minimalist these days and probably have one of the lowest admission rates so usually if they need to come in on my watch, the admission was completely unavoidable and I tend to feel that most hospitalists that know me realize that in advance.

How do you guys facilitate your admissions? It's a subtle point but I feel like so many people have a variety of ways in how they approach the conversation and it's always fun for me to listen to other docs on the phone when I'm working in a double or triple coverage shop. I get a kick out of listening to the residents (usually interns) get to the point in the conversation where they need to admit the pt and they start to repeat themselves and go blank on how to "seal the deal", lol.

(Any input from hospitalists/future hospitalists is welcome. I've always been curious if these guys get offended by a conversation where they are "being told" the pt will be admitted to them and they don't get a sense of a request from the ED doc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't talk to them the majority of time. I send them a text through our secure messaging service with the following:

"Jane Doe, room number. Admission for pneumonia. x(phone#)"

Most of the time they give me a thumbs up. They call with questions about 30% of the time. My notes are all dictated and the HPI is already present as well as the physical exam 95% of the time when I send a text.

Reactions: 2 users
I lead with what I want to have happen, usually I know what the plan needs to be and in those cases it's not a request (though I'm still polite). If I'm not sure, then I'll lead with that as well.

So:

"Thanks for calling me back, I have a 73 year old with IDDM who needs to be admitted for pyelonephritis, no obstruction on CT. Vitals are stable for the floor. What questions can I answer?"

vs

"Thanks for calling me back, I have a 55 year of with HFrREF who was discharged from your service last week and switched to torsemide. He's come back with 10lbs of weight gain and decreased urine output, but otherwise looks pretty good. Would you like to readmit him for IV diuretics or do you have an alternate PO regimen you want to try to send him home on?"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the Hospitalist:

The ones that want bare minimum: "Hey Dr. Schmuckatelli, it's Cajun. Got one for you in bed 18. 77 Y/O F, Hx of X, Came in with X, XYZ is already done, needs to come in for XYZ. Anything else?"

The others that either like to push back or be told what to do: As Above, plus "They'll need to see cards for an echo, Already talked to them and put the consult orders in for you. I already ordered the labs and imaging you're going to ask me for so you can delay coming to see the patient and here's the results. They're being admitted for a,b,c diagnoses"

I work in a pretty small critical access hospital that somehow has 21 ED beds and I know all my hospitalists well. If it’s bull****-dump-placement I just tell them that. They usually understand and don’t give my much grief. If it’s pretty serious and may need to be transferred due to being too sick to stay I sometimes say: “hey I’m calling you to say I spoke you about this patient and you said they can’t stay here, cool?” All bread and butter stuff they admit np. I can also curbside them for stuff like: hey this guy has no meds, no pcp, and their bp sucks etc what would I start them on while I try to find a pcp for them. They usually help me with that. Overall I can’t complain. I also help them out in the ICU with stuff tho.

OP, I've said all three. About 1 in 15 or so I get pushback, and we end up resolving it. Mostly it's for old weak people with a UTI and they are not that weak and their "white count" is not elevated.

I normally view those calls like this...

That said, being critical care, I'm in house at all of my hospitals and carry a Spectralink. I expect a sign out like every other stat consult. Help me help you.