Political Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been an increase in all of the political discussions in the EM forum.

Please do not post political related replies or topics in the EM forum. If you want to debate politics, you may do so in the lounge. If the topic relates to emergency medicine (proposed laws, regulation changes, fee reimbursement), then those are acceptable. The Democrat vs Republican posts of who did what, who does what better, etc. need to stop.

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'm fine to stick to discussing medicine, I'd prefer it.

But what about when a poster posts something false or misleading? I appear to be unable to reply to point out the falsehoods. That's frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the topic relates to emergency medicine (proposed laws, regulation changes, fee reimbursement), then those are acceptable.
Fair enough. However, please clarify @southerndoc : Is proposed tax law, if the result is an increase in taxes on Emergency Physicians, acceptable for discussion, yes or no?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
See, I said this on here once before, but it bears repeating.

We don't want to hear what the children in gen.pop have to say. We care about what EPs think about. Let us have our space.

Thank you. It was starting to get ridiculous with how almost every thread was dissolving into unreadable political garbage and talking points.

It will always be hard to separate them out. EM, probably more than any other specialty is entwined with national and state politics. We are indentured servants under EMTALA, and we are subject to the worst of the brunt of their policies on balance billing, taxes, and regulations.

We are more mobile than almost any medical profession, so discussion of tax, policy, safety, and financials within different regions is important. I'm astonished at the tax/financial illiteracy of many of my peers.

If you like, maybe have ground rules for what politics are appropriate discussion?

@southerndoc were you always a moderator or did that just happen?

I was a moderator a while ago and just recently became a moderator again.

Fair enough. However, please clarify @southerndoc : Is proposed tax law, if the result is an increase in taxes on Emergency Physicians, acceptable for discussion, yes or no?

I think if a law has been introduced in either house, then yea, it's open for discussion. If it's something that politician A says he will do when elected, then no, I think that's just going to create arguing. A large percentage of promises politicians make never make it into a bill in either the Senate or House.

I am a big fan of politics and meet with US Congressmen and Senators several times each year. I am always open for political discussions. However, some of the threads have been derailed into political discussions and have lost focus of their original intent. This has triggered several PM's of people expressing concern over the discussions occurring here. I think SDN is a great resource, and I don't want to lose members because they view this as a political discussion forum.

Reactions: 2 users