scalpel blades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisygirl

woof
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get scalpel blades for a good price?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your school bookstore. They won't have them on display, you'll have to ask for them.

Search around on the internet. I found a veterinary supply company that sold scalpels certified for animal, not human use, that were far cheaper than my school's bookstore. Since I was using them on a cadaver, I can't see how it could matter and the sizing system is the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to the bookstore. If you are getting them for gross anatomy, once your group splits the cost, it isn't bad. That's what we did.

You gotta buy scalpel blades? damn...! --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
You gotta buy scalpel blades? damn...! --Trek

Yeah, tell me about it. We also have to buy our own gloves :rolleyes: . Oh well, let the debt begin :rolleyes: .

we have to buy our own gloves but not blades or any major equipment. in fact all we need is a blunt probe. that really stinks! i wish i knew where you could get cheap scalpel blades, did you try going to fisher? www.fishersci.com try looking there. i once bought razor blades off them albiet in a laboratory setting for like $10 / 100 blades. so they are good. good luck!

Originally posted by daisygirl

Yeah, tell me about it. We also have to buy our own gloves :rolleyes: . Oh well, let the debt begin :rolleyes: .

I hardly ever use my scalpel.

If you work in a group, I say let somebody else buy a scalpel. Then you can use that scalpel for all of the three times during the year that you might use it.

Make sure you have a good pair of scissors. They are much more useful and you are less likely to cut through a nerve.

If you do end up buying scalpel blades, make sure you don't buy too many of them. My dissecting kit cost $13.00, and came with three (or was it five?) scalpel blades, scissors, and forceps. Those three scalpel blades are going to last me a LONG time (It doesn't seem like I'll use that first blade enough for it to get dull during anatomy lab.)

Any ideas for cheap gloves? The ones at our bookstore are really expensive (I found out today).

Originally posted by Wednesday
Any ideas for cheap gloves? The ones at our bookstore are really expensive (I found out today).

walgreens 50 for $4

for anyone who's looking for cheap gloves, drugstore.com is having a sale now.

Safeskin
Powder-Free Purple Nitrile Gloves
40 ea (2 boxes for the price of 1)

Ansell
Medi-Touch Powder Free Latex Disposable Gloves
50 ea (also 2 for the price of 1)

For gloves and scrubs, I found www.allheart.com. Their gloves were 2 boxes (100 each) for $10. Scrub sets were around $14 each. They take about a week to get it to you (on the east coast). I thought they were a good company, and MUCH cheaper than anywhere that I have seen locally.

Woo hoo! Awesome, thanks!

Dont buy latex gloves though - they will disintegrate in the preserving fluid.

Originally posted by docuw
Dont buy latex gloves though - they will disintegrate in the preserving fluid.

:confused: What sort of fluid do you guys use? In gross I used a single pair of latex gloves each day and didn't have any problems at all.... :confused:

Wow, we didn't have to buy anything... gloves, scalpels, forceps, or otherwise. I would have gone ballistic if, after paying $25,000 in tuition, my school didn't see fit to toss some freakin' gloves my way.

dont know the exact formula. I know it had formaldehyde and some sort of alcohol. Only saw one person try to use the latex (we had been prewarned by Prof) and they had shreds of latex on their hands by the end of the lab period.

I also found out that our medical bookstore as well as the undergrad bookstore both sell scalpel blades for $.35 each.