scared about matching (should i take my step2?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillindrdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been ruminating about this since the match for the 4th years, and frankly, i'm scared about matching into anesthesia. i'm a 3rd year med student at a state medical school which doesn't have a big name.

how important is the 'name' of the residency in securing a job afterwards?

here are my credentials
214 step1s
high pass average (85-87% gpa, honors here and there)
one publication while in med school (where i was 3rd author)

will my step1 score even make the cutoff for the 2nd tier schools? so should i take my step2s early then???

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will make the cutoff for 2nd tier schools. There may be a couple here or there where you won't but these are more likely to be near the top of the 2nd tier list. I didn't take step 2 early and did fine in the match, with a few invites from some top programs. My step 1 is slightly less that yours. LORS count for a LOT in the process! Get some good ones. Your research will only help you. If I could do it over again I would probably take step 2 early and not release the scores, this gives you more options. But then again, things worked out fine for me without it. There's really no yes or no answer to this. My best advice is not to worry though! Your step 1 is fine, you'll do well.

2nd Year,

Why don't you post your impression of the 2nd tier programs. I'm curious to know which are considered upper-level.

Thanks,

RB

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really trying to write something about what programs are 1st and 2nd tier, etc. but I couldn't. I think that they're great though! There are lots of good anesthesia programs out there that are second-tier. Probably a few great ones as well. Who decides this stuff anyways? Anyways, if you consider the elite programs as the Harvard ones plus whatever good west coast programs, then I guess that places like UMichigan, UWisconsin, Mayo, etc. line up for second tier. All are pretty awesome programs, but for whatever reason they're not usually counted as the elite programs. This probably isn't too helpful is it.

something that may help is this thread about "top programs" in anesthesia.

however, it also varies by region. in chicago, i think most people put U of C and northwestern in the top tier, with rush, UIC and loyola in the middle, with county and masonic in the bottom tier, based mostly on academic reputation. however, i don't think U of C or northwestern can really compete with programs that are truly considered "top" in anesthesia, like MGH and UCSF.

Originally posted by Skrubz
something that may help is this thread about "top programs" in anesthesia.

with rush, UIC and loyola in the middle, with county and masonic in the bottom tier, based mostly on academic reputation. MGH and UCSF.

woo-hoo.

i'm going to a mid-tier program.

hey "skrubz," congrats on stanford. i was looking at the uic match list and there are a bunch of uic grads staying at uic for anesthesia. i guess i'll be joining the crew. i hope that it's a good group of people.

santa clara: one of the people in my med school class is a medicine resident there right now. she'll probably be your senior at some point. her name is jenny.

good luck.

ill be starting CA-1 at UIC in july myself....people there are very nice and im definitely looking forward to it

Like some other people have said, many programs are cutting off their interview pool at 215-220. A 214 will just barely keep you out of the mix at a lot of places. I know, I scored the same thing. I was getting very few interviews until my step 2 in early nov. came back and was much much better. If you were in the low 220's I would say don't worry about it. But taking step 2 and doing a lot better should help you a lot. I don't think you can risk NOT doing it.

hey apma77.

i'll be starting my CA-1 year in October. I wanted to take 3 months off before starting up residency again. I look forward to seeing you there.

are you a uic grad?

im actually a chicago med grad...by the way does anyone know what the latest call schedule for UIC is like?

i sorta forgot since my interviews which were over a year ago

any input would be appreciated

Pinky, I PM'ed you.

Hey you UIC people... My GF is highly considering it, but as a DO she can't actually rotate there (tuition issues). What are credentials like for interviewees there, if you don't mind mentioning? You can PM me if you don't want to widely post. Thanks.