Scared about my future and pharmacy, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmHopefulLonghorn2015

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am thinking about applying to pharmacy school (early decision in April), but now thinking it is no longer worth it to apply. Some of my neighbors who manage their own pharmacies are planning on closing down (I always wanted to own a store one day so this was disheartening to hear). Some of my other neighbors are not happy at CVS or HEB, and my best friend's uncle who has been a pharmacist for 12 years told me that it's possible pharmacy might not have a future very soon.

Brief history about myself, I have a 3.51 GPA Chemistry major, 2 publications and have done extensive work with ACS, volunteered at different major institutions such as Red Cross for 3 years. When I was in high school, I did a little bit of work as a cashier in an independent pharmacy to help my friend's parents for $8 per hour. I wanted to do pharmacy because it doesn't require a residency like medical school. But why continue to do pharmacy if my job is given up to a technician like my friend's uncle says? The way he put it as I understood, you are going to give up 4 years of your life just to be more worried about paying off debts and holding on to a job. Why continue to work hard for a field that possibly doesn't have a future?

Should I be worried?
 
3.5 GPA, Chem Major? Go to Med School man or PA school. And you friend's uncle is wrong, your job isn't going to be given to a technician. Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians have different roles.
 
There's always going to be a demand for pharmacists. Just find out what you see yourself or would enjoy to do as a career. Evaluate your intentions. Explore the other career options they might just change your mind.

Honestly clinical pharmacy is becoming a thing now and most hospital would almost always choose the candidate with that 1 year of residency experience if your on that tract.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would try and get some more experience in pharmacy to see if it's something you really enjoy before you apply. While it's true residency isn't required for retail positions at the moment, if you are interested in any other aspect of pharmacy: hospital, clinical, ambulatory care, and so forth, it's pretty much mandatory that you complete at least PGY1, if not PGY2. In the future residency might be mandatory for all areas of pharmacy, so it's something that would be worth looking in to, since it will make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and give you additional opportunities to network.
 
For one thing, the chances of a pharmacy technician replacing a pharmacist is the chances of a PA replacing a doctor indefinitely...it just wont happen to many differences exist...As im sure many before / after have stated in many different forums, pharmacy jobs can be competitive just like every other job or career (of course i would say this career more so)...if you plan on living in a rural area and somewhat of a "country fella' sort of speak, your competition diminishes in a few places, but all in all, you will never here how good the profession is or the passion many people have on this topic of pharmacy because simply put, they wouldnt bother coming to an SDN forum and elaborate on it... I wont open up a forum online and start a thread on how i have the upmost joy on FISHING or how much i love my growing family yet if i have concerns with finances or have any slight doubt or worry, the chances of posting via facebook / sdn for many people is far greater.... I say this because despite saturation and competition, you will find a career waiting for you somewhere...true, at first you may not get the "dream hours or location", but its an open door of experience to move along another path once you show your worth. Point is a job can be found if your willing to travel and leave family and make your own roots. But, if residency is a prime reason of doubt, you really should invest your time in considering other options. From the sounds of it, why settle for pharmacy if your thinking med school? or PA? or teaching? or ANYTHING you want? if its simply an easier route for pay you will have more problems than ever...I was aiming for med school and went as far as preparing for the MCAT...after awhile I had my own reasons why this wasnt a fit for me...everyone has their reasons, but keep doing research and choose a fit. your career should relfect to some extent your characteristics and personality ( I say this as im checking my email and heading off to the lake with a day off work lol). Best of luck for ya, as long as you do everything on your part, everything in the end will fall into place.
 
If you have a personality on top of a 3.5 GPA, you have many options! You can even get a job right after graduation but there is no need to rush into a 4 year commitment unless you feel it is the right time.
 
The neighbor who owned an indi is probably upset with the profession because of the terrible reimbursement rates by insurance. Indi just can't compete with big chains. This is really unrelated to techs taking the role of pharmacist which won't happen.
 
Thanks everyone! I am going to concentrate on getting into medical school in my home state. Pharmacy is a last option for me, but I found a job as a technician to keep my ears open and make some money
 
Thanks everyone! I am going to concentrate on getting into medical school in my home state. Pharmacy is a last option for me, but I found a job as a technician to keep my ears open and make some money
Before you commit to medical school, make sure you get some experience to see if you like medicine. It might not be a bad plan to focus on finishing your bachelor's degree and do some career exploration in the meanwhile. A lot of my pre-med friends work as medical scribes, EMTs, or medical assistants, and the majority of them volunteer at local hospitals as well. Not only is extensive commitment to the profession pretty much required for admission to medical school, but you don't want to be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt before you decide that you really don't like medicine. Don't go into a profession because someone tells you to, but because you have a genuine passion for it. Good luck.
 
For one thing, the chances of a pharmacy technician replacing a pharmacist is the chances of a PA replacing a doctor indefinitely...it just wont happen to many differences exist...As im sure many before / after have stated in many different forums, pharmacy jobs can be competitive just like every other job or career (of course i would say this career more so)...if you plan on living in a rural area and somewhat of a "country fella' sort of speak, your competition diminishes in a few places, but all in all, you will never here how good the profession is or the passion many people have on this topic of pharmacy because simply put, they wouldnt bother coming to an SDN forum and elaborate on it... I wont open up a forum online and start a thread on how i have the upmost joy on FISHING or how much i love my growing family yet if i have concerns with finances or have any slight doubt or worry, the chances of posting via facebook / sdn for many people is far greater.... I say this because despite saturation and competition, you will find a career waiting for you somewhere...true, at first you may not get the "dream hours or location", but its an open door of experience to move along another path once you show your worth. Point is a job can be found if your willing to travel and leave family and make your own roots. But, if residency is a prime reason of doubt, you really should invest your time in considering other options. From the sounds of it, why settle for pharmacy if your thinking med school? or PA? or teaching? or ANYTHING you want? if its simply an easier route for pay you will have more problems than ever...I was aiming for med school and went as far as preparing for the MCAT...after awhile I had my own reasons why this wasnt a fit for me...everyone has their reasons, but keep doing research and choose a fit. your career should relfect to some extent your characteristics and personality ( I say this as im checking my email and heading off to the lake with a day off work lol). Best of luck for ya, as long as you do everything on your part, everything in the end will fall into place.


great post. I never said pharmacy was going to be easy.... but Ive looked into many fields, and the one I really liked was pharmacy. I know the market will be even tighter when I graduate... I get it. Sometimes my enthusiasm is seen as me thinking that I'm going into a career field where I believe I will have a job thrown at me in my 4th year. I don't think that, and if I don't network properly that almost certainly won't happen.... but I do know I will have a good future as a Pharm D, if i work at it.
 
Last edited:
I don't think independents will be around too much longer, just look at how some medical practices are having trouble staying open. Possibly independents will have a chance in middle of nowhere Juneau since it does not cost a fortune to maintain the place.
 
I am new to this site. But I was wondering if I could ask just ten questions to someone who has experience as a pharmacy technician. I'm currently in pharm tech school. And its an assignment to get someone with experience to answer some questions for my final.
 
I am new to this site. But I was wondering if I could ask just ten questions to someone who has experience as a pharmacy technician. I'm currently in pharm tech school. And its an assignment to get someone with experience to answer some questions for my final.

I have the answer to one of the probable questions: don't go to pharmacy school.
 
Last edited:
I am new to this site. But I was wondering if I could ask just ten questions to someone who has experience as a pharmacy technician. I'm currently in pharm tech school. And its an assignment to get someone with experience to answer some questions for my final.
Send me a pm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am thinking about applying to pharmacy school (early decision in April), but now thinking it is no longer worth it to apply. Some of my neighbors who manage their own pharmacies are planning on closing down (I always wanted to own a store one day so this was disheartening to hear). Some of my other neighbors are not happy at CVS or HEB, and my best friend's uncle who has been a pharmacist for 12 years told me that it's possible pharmacy might not have a future very soon.

Brief history about myself, I have a 3.51 GPA Chemistry major, 2 publications and have done extensive work with ACS, volunteered at different major institutions such as Red Cross for 3 years. When I was in high school, I did a little bit of work as a cashier in an independent pharmacy to help my friend's parents for $8 per hour. I wanted to do pharmacy because it doesn't require a residency like medical school. But why continue to do pharmacy if my job is given up to a technician like my friend's uncle says? The way he put it as I understood, you are going to give up 4 years of your life just to be more worried about paying off debts and holding on to a job. Why continue to work hard for a field that possibly doesn't have a future?

Should I be worried?


Your publications are a huge advantage in any health professional field. You will have an edge. I think PA may be too easy....are they in pubmed? It sounds like you potentially have a really good application and I would think that you'll be happy in any healthcare professional field as long as you stay motivated and do your best to ignore the haters. Screw em. They are probably mad because they have to buy their car tires at wal mart. At my previous pharmacy, the manager there loves his job and graduated from a #80 ranked school and has been there for over 15 years. At some point, it does depend on the individual. He also is a great guy and is a BEAST. Granted, his pharmacy is 45 minutes away from downtown, but as long as your are realistic then probably what you truly honestly believe is an accurate assedsment.
 
Pharmacy profession has gone downhill since 2007. It is only getting worse before getting better.

I recall a "shortage" and people actually receiving BMW's, not Hondas or Toyotas, as signing bonuses. OF COURSE it's going to get worse. What fantasy world were you living in that you thought this was actually representative of real life? Fortunately as long as there are law schools, Rx will never gbe the next "law school".
 
Last edited:
It all depends on what you plan to do.
I myself enjoy Pharmacy and my journey through college was a tough one. I nearly dropped below 2.5gpa and eventually i managed to bring it up to deans list.
I applied to 18 med schools and 7 pharmacy schools.
I got accepted to most of them. They honestly want to see your journey through life and education.

And on the fact of pharmacists being able to keep a job, its all about connections and/or work ethic. Yes pharmacy is becoming saturated but still it is a demanding job for this current generation. There are still shortages in the east coast that pharmacy schools would gladly review your application.
As for me, people have taken notice to my work ethic, i work at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a iv/chemo tech and get paid more than people with actual regular degrees.
You just need to find your place and calling.
 
Obviously you're going to have to take a chance. Amcas allows 15 schools if you apply for their waiver. And aacomas allows 3 schools. Obviously you utilize what they offer. Why would i add one more?
 
When I was young I won an award for being one of the brightest minds in my state. I came in at number 2. You know what my dad said? Why not #1?

That's what I meant.....
 
Ah i see now, but since i do not share your experiences, even with coming from Asian background, i applaud you for your job well done. However, you could of been #1. *sarcasm*


However my friend, keep it up.
 
It all depends on what you plan to do.
I myself enjoy Pharmacy and my journey through college was a tough one. I nearly dropped below 2.5gpa and eventually i managed to bring it up to deans list.
I applied to 18 med schools and 7 pharmacy schools.
I got accepted to most of them. They honestly want to see your journey through life and education.

And on the fact of pharmacists being able to keep a job, its all about connections and/or work ethic. Yes pharmacy is becoming saturated but still it is a demanding job for this current generation. There are still shortages in the east coast that pharmacy schools would gladly review your application.
As for me, people have taken notice to my work ethic, i work at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a iv/chemo tech and get paid more than people with actual regular degrees.
You just need to find your place and calling.

Yup life is all about the journey not the destination. However we were tiger parented, Im just you are against the stereotype