Scared of STEP I already...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The first two years of med school were miserable and step 1 studying was the culmination of that misery. There's just so much pressure and uncertainty. Some (actually many) people in med school are hard wired to be "professional studiers" as someone put it but that's not true of everyone. Don't dismiss others' experiences because they don't correlate to your own.

Your view is obviously the mainstream experience. I've always been genuinely puzzled at those who don't enjoy/anticipate the fervor, pressure, adrenaline of exams - of which Step 1 is the king. I got a lot of weird looks when I'd say that to classmates (so I've learned not to) but I have at least one who feels the same way. We enjoyed it - the stress is miserably delicious.

And the FA argument: Never too early to see what you'll be tackling, unless the $40 is the hindrance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Your view is obviously the mainstream experience. I've always been genuinely puzzled at those who don't enjoy/anticipate the fervor, pressure, adrenaline of exams - of which Step 1 is the king. I got a lot of weird looks when I'd say that to classmates (so I've learned not to) but I have at least one who feels the same way. We enjoyed it - the stress is miserably delicious.

And the FA argument: Never too early to see what you'll be tackling, unless the $40 is the hindrance.

The vast majority of people who enjoy the preclinical years, I guarantee, do not enjoy them because they're adrenaline junkies who live off stress as a fuel.

Reactions: 1 user

The ones who loved MS-1/MS-2 basic sciences thought the people who loved MS-3 rotations were weird, and the ones who loved MS-3 rotations thought that those who loved MS-1/MS-2 were weird. Go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vast majority of people who enjoy the preclinical years, I guarantee, do not enjoy them because they're adrenaline junkies who live off stress as a fuel.

Haha yea anastomoses is on her own with that one. I'm enjoying the preclinical years because I'm a very curious person so all this knowledge feeds my curiousity about human diseases. I could to without the stress from exams though.

In the world of studying and taking multiple choice exams, the ones who enjoyed the preclinical years were Olympic athletes in this world. MS-1/MS-2 is a relatively controlled environment with imparting of knowledge from teacher to student, in which you're evaluated based on your ability to fill in bubbles on a scantron (I don't know any that liked exams). You get your weekends free of duties and can eat, use the bathroom, and exercise when you want. They tended to hate the absolute BS that pervades hospital clinical medicine in MS-3.

Last edited:
No you don't. You would have filled that copy of First Aid with so much useless drivel that it would have been useless come board study. There is very little material that actually needs annotating into First Aid. The important details from 1st and 2nd year are in First Aid already...the only stuff you really need to add are the few things that are in UWorld but not FA, or some integration made across disciplines that UWorld highlights, or an emphasis you need to place on your problem areas. Or sometimes there are better diagrams in UWorld than FA. That kind of stuff. The bulk of the detail, however, is already there.

I'm a firm believer that you should have nothing in your brand new copy of First Aid on the day you start your dedicated study time. Annotating is an active process. Reading your annotations is a passive process. You want to be doing active things during your board study period, not reading a bunch of scribbles you wrote a year ago.

It's extremely important to not gorge yourself on resources -- stick to the tried and true stuff and limit yourself to that. I can't think of a quicker way to drown in unnecessary detail than to reference a copy of First Aid annotated during the preclinical years.

I agree, I have hardly touched First Aid. Not even a first pass this entire year. I just don't like First Aid, I think it's poorly organized, poorly written and fails to convey the key concepts. The only time I really use FA is to nail down a stupid detail, aka all of anatomy/embryology or what sleep stages have what waveforms. My primary tool has been class, BRS physio and Uworld.

I personally love RR Path and think it's the resource to use for pathology after Pathoma. I feel like they complement each other perfectly, since Pathoma is heavy on concepts but light on details.

I have enjoyed M1 because it was easy. All I have to do is study everyday and as much as I don't like learning some of these topics, I know something new will be coming in a few weeks time. There was one exam that I was extremely stressed about and that absolutely sucked. If I was stressed the whole year I don't think I would've made it.

I agree, I have hardly touched First Aid. Not even a first pass this entire year. I just don't like First Aid, I think it's poorly organized, poorly written and fails to convey the key concepts. The only time I really use FA is to nail down a stupid detail, aka all of anatomy/embryology or what sleep stages have what waveforms. My primary tool has been class, BRS physio and Uworld.

I personally love RR Path and think it's the resource to use for pathology after Pathoma. I feel like they complement each other perfectly, since Pathoma is heavy on concepts but light on details.

I don't really like FA either, but I did find it useful for biochem and it has been quite helpful for micro as well.

Yes, definitely not the norm, Rainman.

I think he's saying that writing notes is what helped him learn. I rarely write things down, but when I do it's to make it stick. I never takes notes with the purpose of reviewing them later.

The time it takes to write the quality of notes that are worth reviewing later is far beyond the time I'm willing to put in.

I think he's saying that writing notes is what helped him learn. I rarely write things down, but when I do it's to make it stick. I never takes notes with the purpose of reviewing them later.

The time it takes to write the quality of notes that are worth reviewing later is far beyond the time I'm willing to put in.
I was referring to him saying he didn't have to read it a second time.

I was referring to him saying he didn't have to read it a second time.

So was I.

Watch lecture
Read review book + scribble crap down + throw crap away
Read some other book
Do some questions
Take exam

Unless he meant that he reads about the topic one time then takes the exam.... Then yeah, rainman.

yea, that said, what worked for me won't work for you, just like what works for you probably doesn't work for me.

There's like 10,000 ways to skin the cat, so the biggest mistake you can make is trying to emulate someone's technique without some retrospection/reflection. Some people love hitting 15 different review books by 10 different companies. Some people like using a single series. Some people just use FA+Uworld, etc etc etc.

Find out what works for you, and STICK WITH IT. The worst thing you can do is pick up a brand new source a week before your exam because you think it has some magic knowledge sauce. It doesn't. Stick to what you know, roll with the minutia and realize that 10,000 other people have experience the same thing you are right now.

yea, that said, what worked for me won't work for you, just like what works for you probably doesn't work for me.

There's like 10,000 ways to skin the cat, so the biggest mistake you can make is trying to emulate someone's technique without some retrospection/reflection. Some people love hitting 15 different review books by 10 different companies. Some people like using a single series. Some people just use FA+Uworld, etc etc etc.

Find out what works for you, and STICK WITH IT. The worst thing you can do is pick up a brand new source a week before your exam because you think it has some magic knowledge sauce. It doesn't. Stick to what you know, roll with the minutia and realize that 10,000 other people have experience the same thing you are right now.
The ones whose apartment looks like a medical bookstore and they use 5 different color highlighters.

The ones whose apartment looks like a medical bookstore and they use 5 different color highlighters.

highlight-in-books.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Uhhh...let me know how awesome it is if that stress culminates in you doing poorly on Step 1 and your residency options are limited to FM or bottom-tier IM unless you want to forfeit $200k+ in future earnings by taking a year off to salvage what's left of your academic record.

Uhhh...let me know how awesome it is if that stress culminates in you doing poorly on Step 1 and your residency options are limited to FM or bottom-tier IM unless you want to forfeit $200k+ in future earnings by taking a year off to salvage what's left of your academic record.
That was harsh. I agree she went a tad overboard though.

The ones who loved MS-1/MS-2 basic sciences thought the people who loved MS-3 rotations were weird, and the ones who loved MS-3 rotations thought that those who loved MS-1/MS-2 were weird. Go figure.

Let's hope that holds true for me.

I enjoyed M1/M2 and also enjoyed M3. I didn't look at First Aid until 6 weeks before my exam, and still laid waste to Step 1.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, DERMVISER!?

Reactions: 7 users
I tended to read books, review or not, and take extensive paper notes. Thus, I definitely didn't need to annotate FA. That's how I studied -- by making outlines and writing things down. Rarely ever actually read those notes a second time. Probably not the norm.

I do this everywhere. For some reason writing helps me form memories better than almost anything else. Typing isn't the same.

I enjoyed M1/M2 and also enjoyed M3. I didn't look at First Aid until 6 weeks before my exam, and still laid waste to Step 1.

thats impressive. I started about 8 weeks out with FA. I did some smacking down too if i say so myself do i, i do.

You bring up a silly unlikelihood? Yeah...uhhh, if I do poorly on an important exam, that would be not awesome. How does this defeat the fact that prepping for exams is exciting and the chance to display the effort and discipline is rewarding? Oh wait...it doesn't. You're just trying to be a hater.

Haha yea anastomoses is on her own with that one. I'm enjoying the preclinical years because I'm a very curious person so all this knowledge feeds my curiosity about human diseases. I could to without the stress from exams though.

For me it's both. The material was/is fascinating, making it that much easier to absorb. But I was no less keen when I was learning macroeconomics or philosophy. Some people like to know stuff - information sponges. Besides, if there were no tests...it wouldn't be as exciting or as motivational, right?

I do this everywhere. For some reason writing helps me form memories better than almost anything else. Typing isn't the same.
I do typing/writing but in med school it's just not always profitable - costs too much time with little return? Sometimes I think regurgitation works better. Read paragraph. Explain to imaginary friend. Continue. Next day review by explaining to imaginary friend (or willing classmate).

I do typing/writing but in med school it's just not always profitable - costs too much time with little return? Sometimes I think regurgitation works better. Read paragraph. Explain to imaginary friend. Continue. Next day review by explaining to imaginary friend (or willing classmate).

I don't write out long outlines, just short phrases I need to remember. If I need to remember a drug list or something, that's my go-to: I write it a few times, and it just sticks. Definitely more useful for some classes than others.

The way I study physiology is almost identical to what you just described though (read, explain out loud). The only modest addition I make sometimes is to summarize everything else I read that day verbally.

But were they more familiar with the info in FA?

Dude, FA is not some mystical, complex book you need to study for years to understand. It takes like a day to get adjusted to how FA works. And most of the book assumes you already know the material, since it just condenses them into one place. It's useless to go through it if you haven't seen most of the material yet. It'll take that much longer to read each section if it's not a pure review.

Also, a lot of stuff in board review books is not anywhere close to "high-yield" enough to annotate into FA. Really, the only thing people should be annotating into it (if they choose to) is stuff from UWorld.

I agree completely with kaputt. Here's another thing: you don't even need to use FA to do well on Step 1 if you learn your basic sciences well the first time around. That doesn't necessarily mean class notes either. Use whatever resource you need to, but understand the material.

I loved the basic sciences and I've loved M3 year. Quite a few of my classmates feel the same. Enjoying the basic sciences and enjoying clinical medicine are not mutually exclusive.

:thumbup:

I'm worried if I tell Dermviser that I read less than half of FA (probably less than 1/3 of it, actually), his mind might explode.

Is it somewhat telling in which of these 2 camps I belong by saying that I look back rather fondly of my time spent studying for the mcat? Haha

In all sincerity, I just want to warn people that are going to be taking the test this season. I took my test on April 28th and studied first aid extensively (like everyone). However, I think the boards are shying away from buzzwords and Uworld-like questions. As I was taking the actual step, I couldn't help but notice that it was very different from anything I've seen. I spent the last week memorizing minutiae and such things as the tumor suppressors, rapid review, and little tidbits that are annoying to all of us. However, I honestly felt like that memorization and buzzword ideology got me nowhere. I still did well (250s), but honestly I felt like I could have scored 8 or so points higher by simply going into the test in a state of mind where I was more focused on problem solving and not a "first aid" state of mind. Just a warning. I guess it's different for everyone. But 20 or so of my peers had the same feeling. I think there will be a lot of changes to first aid next year.

In all sincerity, I just want to warn people that are going to be taking the test this season. I took my test on April 28th and studied first aid extensively (like everyone). However, I think the boards are shying away from buzzwords and Uworld-like questions. As I was taking the actual step, I couldn't help but notice that it was very different from anything I've seen. I spent the last week memorizing minutiae and such things as the tumor suppressors, rapid review, and little tidbits that are annoying to all of us. However, I honestly felt like that memorization and buzzword ideology got me nowhere. I still did well (250s), but honestly I felt like I could have scored 8 or so points higher by simply going into the test in a state of mind where I was more focused on problem solving and not a "first aid" state of mind. Just a warning. I guess it's different for everyone. But 20 or so of my peers had the same feeling. I think there will be a lot of changes to first aid next year.
It's been moving that way for some time now as I understand it. I had the same experience but I wasn't expecting buzzwords.

Is it somewhat telling in which of these 2 camps I belong by saying that I look back rather fondly of my time spent studying for the mcat? Haha

No. The MCAT is nothing like med school.

Step sucked. Worst month of my life. Still recovering from it. You should be scared. But in the end you survive and try to move on.

Step sucked. Worst month of my life. Still recovering from it. You should be scared. But in the end you survive and try to move on.
What's not to love about standardized tests? You should try our insane internal exams.

Not the point of the discussion. My point was that I have no aversion to isolating myself in the library for 12 hours a day, which resembles year 1 and 2 more so than years 3 and 4.

I think he may have meant that the subject matter and the type of studying are completely different.
If so, I agree with him.

I think he may have meant that the subject matter and the type of studying are completely different.
If so, I agree with him.
I would as well, if that's what we were talking about. The comparison was between preclinical vs clinical education, and which I would probably like more. I swear some people around here are just far to antsy to "correct" someone.

I would as well, if that's what we were talking about. The comparison was between preclinical vs clinical education, and which I would probably like more. I swear some people around here are just far to antsy to "correct" someone.

And some people are impossible to disagree with, because they think you're trying to correct them :) . Just to prove you right though, he could still have been talking about the same subject.

Your premise: I will enjoy m1/m2 a lot because I enjoyed studying for the MCAT 12 hrs a day.

His answer: that is irrelevant to whether you will enjoy the first two years.

I agree. The two are not mutually exclusive, but neither is one a great indicator of the other.
I miss physics.

And some people are impossible to disagree with, because they think you're trying to correct them :) . Just to prove you right though, he could still have been talking about the same subject.

Your premise: I will enjoy m1/m2 a lot because I enjoyed studying for the MCAT 12 hrs a day.

His answer: that is irrelevant to whether you will enjoy the first two years.

I agree. The two are not mutually exclusive, but neither is one a great indicator of the other.
I miss physics.
Haha fair enough. I'm sure M1/M2 are different from undergrad. However, I enjoyed studying the basic sciences and have friends in med school that say it is a lot of the same material (physio, anatomy, biochem, histo, etc) so I thought it was a safe assumption that I will enjoy it there as well.

I'm guessing those are basic science NBME shelf exams.

Oh, I love the shelves, but I'm talking about any old standardized test. SATs, MCATs, you name it. We're required to pass an internal final before we're given permission by the dean to sit the shelf (which thankfully makes up 60-100% of our final grade - depending on the course). I remember mumbling every curse word I knew under my breath when the FIRST q on the internal path final was:

"A mother comes to your office with a 'butterfly child' who has a mutation on a 3xx kDa protein. The etiology of this disease is:
A. AD a%, AR b%, Autoimmune c%"

with 4 other similar choices.

I still don't know what the right answer was.

Oh, I love the shelves, but I'm talking about any old standardized test. SATs, MCATs, you name it. We're required to pass an internal final before we're given permission by the dean to sit the shelf (which thankfully makes up 60-100% of our final grade - depending on the course). I remember mumbling every curse word I knew under my breath when the FIRST q on the internal path final was:

"A mother comes to your office with a 'butterfly child' who has a mutation on a 3xx kDa protein. The etiology of this disease is:
A. AD a%, AR b%, Autoimmune c%"

with 4 other similar choices.

I still don't know what the right answer was.

For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair;
"Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning And butterfly kisses at night.

For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair;
"Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning And butterfly kisses at night.
Still one of my favorite country songs.

Not the point of the discussion. My point was that I have no aversion to isolating myself in the library for 12 hours a day, which resembles year 1 and 2 more so than years 3 and 4.

It's not only about subject matter, but as others have pointed out it does play a role.

How long did you spend studying for the MCAT? How much of MCAT prep was new material that you never learned before? I understand your thinking because I was just like you before I started. I spent our entire first block studying 10+ hours per day and it was fine for maybe a month and then I was miserable. Now I study half that and if I hadn't made the change I probably would have quit.

Thanks for the insight into medical school, premed.

Do that for 2 years straight and you'll go absolutely nuts.

I'm paying upwards of 200,000 of debt including interest. (which is on the low end of debt). You bet my butt I'm studying for Step I from day 1.

Most ppl I know in medical school start from day 1. They at the very least have First Aid and Firecracker and some BRS books or Anki or something. Literally nobody is doing nothing, well at least at the schools I was interested in attending. Anybody who tells you to not to worry or you only need six months to study is full of it.